An Even Better Guitar Polish

Dolebludger

Reaction score
A short time ago I posted recommending Meguairs Super shine — an automotive product — to polish guitars. It is good, but I have found something much better. It is 303 Touchless Sealant. It is made for car paint of any type, which is much like guitar finish.

Now the instructions for car application call for the car to be washed, soaped, and rinsed. While still wet, you spray this on the finish and wipe down, and that is it. I tried it on my Toyota RAV4 SUV, and it looked better than new 8 years ago. But since nobody in their right mind would take a hose or power washer to a guitar, the question became how to adapt the application process to guitars. What I figured out was to dampen a microfiber cloth, spray this product on it, apply,, and buff a little with a dry microfiber. I used it this way on a 36 year old guitar and a 57 year old nitro finished guitar. Wow, they both looked like new! And the hardware did too. There is no grease or sticky to the finish. It even works well on the strings and fret board to give a soft feel to fretting. And it hides small scratches too.

Car parts stores usually carry this in a 16 oz spray bottle for maybe $10. As it is to be used sparingly on guitars, on bottle should do about 500 of them!

And, oh yeah, I used it on my Mercedes C43 AMG too. Fantastic! But remember that it was made in Alabama, USA. So no comments about “overpriced German cars”.

Attachments

Olds442

Reaction score
overpriced 'bama car!

good advice. i'll grab a bottle for the cars and guitars. :cheers2:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Olds,

Not an overpriced “bama” car, as it will out perform any sports sedan, regardless of where made, most at higher price. And I was a bit worried about the made in “bama” thing, but it is the only car I’ve had that hasn’t had to be taken in for warranty work in the first two years, so those guys in “bama” must really know how to make cars.

Now seriously, let me know how the 303 Touch less Sealant works on your cars and guitars — especially on your guitars. Post your results here, or PM me.

Thanks.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that I would use a polish that is formulated for use on an automobile paint/finish and apply that to a guitar, let alone an older vintage guitar.

It might look great today, but what is the effect over time on those guitar finishes?

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Not quite.

Older guitars are usually finished in lacquer, and many older cars are too. The products I have recommended work well on lacquer. What they don’t work on is open grain oil finishes. Oh, on these, they will do no harm, but will do no good either.

THDNUT

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that I would use a polish that is formulated for use on an automobile paint/finish and apply that to a guitar, let alone an older vintage guitar.

It might look great today, but what is the effect over time on those guitar finishes?
My thoughts exactly.

Besides, I don't want my guitars to have a gleaming shine.

Moderately shiny with no fingerprints is my preference.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
If you don’t want your guitars to have a real good shine, I understand. Some guitars are made with a flatter finish,and you may want to retain that. If so, disregard my advice. My advice is meant to restore high gloss guitar finishes to original. But for a guitar that was original high gloss, whether poly or lacquer, this product will duplicate its looks when new, and there will be no long term damage. And no fingerprinting.

If you want your guitar to have a bit of a worn look, I would recommend a simple cleaning with a product called Bona, which cleans sealed and finished hardwood flooring. If you have a guitar with unsealed oiled wood finish, all you can do is to wipe it down with a microfiber cloth, and apply a bit of the same kind of oil with which it was finished originally.

Last edited:

jvin248

Reaction score

If you put 'tone polish' in the title then everyone will rush to buy it....

Guitars have a long history of using automotive finishes and colors, especially Fender back in the old days. I'm sure there is a guitar color chart mapped to automotive color codes of the day.

(as far as the 'bama car ... that's just the assembly. All those parts that go into it are most likely imported from Germany. Some local content but especially the more complex bits like the engine and trans are shipped over complete on a sub-frame and married to the body with a handful of bolts and the fuel and electrical connections snapped together. To keep in cycle time that engine has to go in place in under a minute, every minute.)

Last edited:

Hatefulsob

Reaction score
Dolebludger,
I don’t really care what my guitar looks like as far as shine goes but I do love a neck that feels great. Can you comment a bit on how your thumb got along with this prodct please.

BTW, I did say hello for you at Honest Ron’s Guitars. Thanks for hippng me to that place.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
303 Touchless Sealant
Nope. Don't do it! It's silicone based. Bad....very bad. That stuff will migrate everywhere on the instrument including the fretboard (and even in YOU through your skin) and nothing will remove it. It makes repairs a nightmare if not impossible. Forget about refinishing or finish repair...glue doesn't hold, so refrets, new nuts etc....no good.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Nope. Don't do it! It's silicone based. Bad....very bad. That stuff will migrate everywhere on the instrument including the fretboard (and even in YOU through your skin) and nothing will remove it. It makes repairs a nightmare if not impossible. Forget about refinishing or finish repair...glue doesn't hold, so refrets, new nuts etc....no good.
^^ this. Never apply anything silicone to anything you might want to paint, glue, sand or, anything, really.
Yup. Until they make guitars with wheels, I’ll stick to using guitar-specific products.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I agree that products containing silicone should not be used on the finish of anything. HOWEVER, I emailed Gold Eagle, the parent company of 303 and asked about silicone in their Touchless Sealant. The response, as expected, was that this product contains NO SILICONE! Instead, it is one of the new ceramic based products "shine" products. It is safe for useon a multitude of things.

Last edited:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I agree that products containing silicone should not be used on the finish of anything. HOWEVER, I emailed Gold Eagle, the parent company of 303 and asked about silicone in their Touchless Sealant. The response, as expected, was that this product contains NO SILICONE! Instead, it is one of the new ceramic based products "shine" products. It is safe for useon a multitude of things.

OK...you're right, I double checked myself. It contains Silicon Dioxide....which is not the same as silicone. I guess just seeing that word made me jump the gun and hold up a cross to dracula. I've had more than my share of jobs that were silicone contaminated.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Freddy,

Your post still brings up a good point. Ensure that a product doesn’t have silicone in it before using it on a guitar, car or anything else. Twenty years ago silicone was a common ingrediant in an number of polishes, waxes and sealants. And they caused all the problems you mention, and then some. Fortunately, I think it has been faxed out of most such products, but it is still good to check before using.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking...................major issues if a Guitar needs to be touched up / refinished.

Edit, always good to finish reading the thread................:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Having said that I would never use an Automotive product on a Guitar.

:cheers2:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I you read above, you will see that 303 Touchless Sealant contains no silicone. Even before I contacted the maker, I didn't think it did, judging just by feel. And as for the matter of using only guitar products on guitars, I recommend you check to ensure that they contain no silicone either.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I will never understand the need to put all that crap on a guitar.

Just use a cheap pump polish, and that’s it.