An Enitre Van Halen Concert From 1983

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY3vt-48Zzk]Van Halen - Live in Devore, CA(US) 1983 [Full Concert] - YouTube[/ame]

Already posted this on my FB, but I thought a few of you might enjoy seeing this stuff... I know Poncho in particular is a huge fan. :laugh2:

morats8up

Reaction score
Saw VH live in 81 on the Fair Warning tour in St Louis.

Hello tinnitus!

Maynar

You reached for the secret too soon
Reaction score

Hello tinnitus!
Hehe yeah. I caught the first show of that tour in Halifax, NS. Never forget it. Apparently they picked a spot as far away from LA as was practical, and toured all the way home.

I could get behind that logic. :cool:

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
That was a great tour! Actually, all of VH's tours in the early years were great! They pretty much changed the music we listened to..

TheMightyVanHalen.net

Reaction score
Hehe yeah. I caught the first show of that tour in Halifax, NS. Never forget it. Apparently they picked a spot as far away from LA as was practical, and toured all the way home.

I could get behind that logic. :cool:
You got to see the 1st show of 1981 Fair Warning Tour!!! Good Lord that is sweet. My fav year, album and tour.

I have the next night's show (5/15/1981) in Providence, RI up here if you haven't heard before...

1981 - Providence, RI @ Providence Civic Center | Van Halen

JayFreddy

Reaction score
I remember hearing VH back in the day and it sounded so modern. It was in fact state of the art for its time. In 83 I even bought a Kramer with a Floyd... :eek:

Today, looking back, it seems awkward, stilted, a little hokey, and maybe corny even...

To quote Dave, "No that's not a microphone in my pants, I'm just happy to see California!" lol

Back in the 70's and 80's, early 50's rock n' roll was respected, but it definitely seemed corny too.

I can't speak for kids today, but I imagine they must look at VH pretty much the same way my generation looked at Bill Haley and the Comets...

12watt

Reaction score
For the sake of balance in the future society determining, Eddie Van Halen, Kevin Shields giant robot death match. My Bloody Valentine at the Town & Country Club, Kentish Town, London. Most brutally loud thing I have witnessed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNE6Xp3uMVw]My Bloody Valentine - London 12/15/1991 [full show] - YouTube[/ame]

Rocknburn

Reaction score
Now I understand why all 80s kids wanted to be like him...He sounds so different.Its like yeah he shreds but he also has that rocknroll fire in his playing.Damn eddie!

CodeMonk

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw them in 1983.
At the US Festival in San Bernadino, Ca.
It was a wild show.
And damn hot too (Temperature wise).

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I remember hearing VH back in the day and it sounded so modern. It was in fact state of the art for its time. In 83 I even bought a Kramer with a Floyd... :eek:

Today, looking back, it seems awkward, stilted, a little hokey, and maybe corny even...

To quote Dave, "No that's not a microphone in my pants, I'm just happy to see California!" lol

Back in the 70's and 80's, early 50's rock n' roll was respected, but it definitely seemed corny too.

I can't speak for kids today, but I imagine they must look at VH pretty much the same way my generation looked at Bill Haley and the Comets...

I liken 'timely' but not 'timeless' music to perishable goods with a shelf life. Unlike Homer ("Not only do I like Van Halen, I think they keep getting better"), for me their music started to get a little over-ripe by the late '80s. That said, I definitely went one-pup in an old Strat-style git, for a while.

bocage44

Premium Member
Reaction score
I saw VH at a smaller venue 1979 (Warner Theater in Washington DC) - incredible show. Definitely inspired me to change the way I looked guitar playing.

Saw them a couple of more times after, but they were never as good as that show in '79....

YoshiJimbo

Reaction score
Saw Black Sabbath in '78. The opening band was Van Halen. Van Halen Really Got Me!

NRBQ

Reaction score
Van Halen - Live in Devore, CA(US) 1983 [Full Concert] - YouTube

Already posted this on my FB, but I thought a few of you might enjoy seeing this stuff... I know Poncho in particular is a huge fan. :laugh2:

I love the original VH and their last album from 2012 fits right in with their first six. Saw Van Hagar in 86 and it was pretty good. Waited decades to see them with DLR and it was worth the wait, just amazing and I don't care whether DLR missed a lyric or two, it was one bad ass party. Can't wait for new VH he says with high hopes.

tcdrover

Reaction score

Hello tinnitus!
I saw them with Sammy Hagar when ZZ top opened for them.

ZZ top were great, when Van Halen came out they were so loud the only way I could tell that they opened with You really got me was because I was watching Ed's hands.

PapaSquash

Reaction score

True. But it was 22 years between Rock Around the Clock and Runnin with the Devil, and 36 years ago that Van Halen broke out. A lot more time has passed

Latest Threads