An Amazing Find! 1960 Gibson Les Paul Burst!

goldtop0

Reaction score
Condolences on your grandpa's passing..........from what you say he had a good heart for people.
Like your site and all the best with selling this great piece of guitar history.

Samsbone

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. It reminds me of the one I had in high school, which I sold for $175 and some record albums. I've been searching for it for years, never showed up in any of the burst books, and I don't have the serial #. I will add that I have regretted selling it ever since and it eventually led me to buying & collecting.

StubbyJ

Reaction score
This thread is every guitar player's dream. Way cool. I never knew my grandpas and my relationship with my father is very poor due to his infidelity, thus for me the relationship element of this story is so cool. Yesterday at Thanksgiving the reality of the aforementioned hit me kinda hard. Good for you guys.

aerochris

Reaction score
Their website has been down for about a week. Does anyone know if this guitar sold?

LPJNoob

Reaction score
That's f'n amazing! Looks legit, and if "restored" correctly, could be worth a shit-ton of money?

Awesome grandpa you had, and our sincerest condolences for his passing.

Just be warned, that there are a LOT of "professionals" that will come out of the woodwork, who will try to give you "advice" on what to do with it, especially since you're not a player, or very knowledgeable about vintage guitars. So be VERY careful!

Keep us posted on your journey into the world of the 'burst. Congrats on the find!
Excellent info here! Also(to add to it a bit): DO NOT let it out of your sight. DO NOT let any "professionals" handle the guitar much(what i mean is, DO NOT LET A BUNCH of people handle it, "take it to the backroom to show everybody", try to tell you it's not real, then try lowballing you on it(ex: "Ah, It's not worth much, ill give you $1000 for it?" If it's "not worth that much", then why would they try to pressure you that much to sell it?) Then they try pressuring you into taking it.

Also, DO NOT LET ANYONE sell it for you, nor give it to someone on/for "consignment".

Like this poster said, BE CAREFUL with it!

Sorry for the loss of your grandpa, good luck to you on the guitar.

Last edited:

Del Rei

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss, man.
Hope your family is doing well/better now.

What I can say to you about the guitar is: Be careful. You're possibly dealing with a kind of fortune in hands and people will try to take advantage of it....

trovador

Reaction score
I'm honestly curious. Any updates about the guitar? Are you restoring it? Selling it? Keeping it?

gageeb66

Reaction score
Wow!!! The story ever Les Paul lover dreams about! Good on you and take it slow and easy... There are sharks out there, but once you now know what you have, I'm sure you and your pops will do the right thing. You should start lessons and see why your grand dad had that 60 and, maybe you could pass it down one day to your grand kid. All the best!

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Hows it going and hows that beautiful dream guitar-You had a classy Grandpa.:thumbs: