An Amazing Find! 1960 Gibson Les Paul Burst!

Jon Petter Westerlund

Reaction score
Hi - sorry for your loss, but congrats on the guitar.
You need someone who will treat you fair and be honest with you.
I am in Norway, so not me, but I have bought quite a few guitars from Dave's Guitar shop in LaCrosse, WI and found them to be very reasonable price-wise and absolutely trustworthy to deal with.
The owner, Dave Rogers has an incredible collection of vintage guitars and amps, and I am sure he would either give you a fair offer, or help you in the right direction.
I think anyone of course will try and make a good deal for himself, that is part of the game, but the important thing is who will also see that the deal is in your favor as well. You will find relevant info in the following link - Dave's Guitar Shop.
Best of luck with it.
Jon Petter

Chymore45

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I wanted to first say thank you for all the info/advice and condolences! One piece of advice I took was to take things slowly, and that's exactly what I'm doing. I just finished a website I built for it. Through the website you can read the story of how my Grandfather acquired the guitar, see HD photos, HD video and even potentially purchase it! I'll post the link to the website below. It's crazy that 2 weeks ago I had no idea what a Les Paul "Burst" was, I've learned a lot in this short time. Thanks again everyone!

My 1960 Gibson Burst website

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about gramps, and congrats on the find.

I'm no vintage guitar expert, but I'd be concerned that if it hasn't had proper string tension on it for decades, the neck might have issues (back bow or twist). Might want to get a reputable luthier to check it.

Also, know that the guitar has a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, so shipping it outside of the country will be a pain. Special import/export paperwork needed. Takes months and money to do. Could be confiscated otherwise. Sell it within the U.S.

judson

Reaction score
hey Rusty looks great...or Clete looks good whichever you want to call it

super presentation and done well, backstory is great ,

a familiar story of many guitar players really and your gramps maybe didnt want some to know he had a good heart

great idea with the website.....

take wired funds or cash only...paypal fees would suck.. :rofl:

be smart about the transfer of payment and handing over the guitar...

there are alot of clowns out there that think they are slick.

like to see where it goes and i hope the cash can do nice things for your family

keep us posted :h5:

Last edited:

simon connor

Reaction score
Wow, this story is just off the hook! I hope you have thought to do this already, but you must insure that thing and immediately. I mean it's like having a very valuable jewel in your house, and then advertising on the internet that you have it - in fact, I think it's not safe to keep it in your house! It seems like there is an argument for letting one of the big dealers sell it for you, just so you don't have to deal with it or worry about it at all. There is a guitar store here in Seattle that is listing one of those for $310K https://reverb.com/item/10359426-1960-gibson-les-paul-standard-johnny-fever-burst-demo-video. I mean if they got $250K and took their commission (no idea what that would be) and you still got $200+K you'd be doing pretty well. What a great Grandfather you had...

T Willis

Reaction score
Very sorry for your loss. That is something extremely special.

I'd be learning how to play guitar real quick if I were you!! ;)

BrianB

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I wanted to first say thank you for all the info/advice and condolences! One piece of advice I took was to take things slowly, and that's exactly what I'm doing. I just finished a website I built for it. Through the website you can read the story of how my Grandfather acquired the guitar, see HD photos, HD video and even potentially purchase it! I'll post the link to the website below. It's crazy that 2 weeks ago I had no idea what a Les Paul "Burst" was, I've learned a lot in this short time. Thanks again everyone!

My 1960 Gibson Burst website
My condolences on your loss... Best of luck with the burst.

Oh, and watch out for this guy....

Chymore45

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Just wanted to check back in with you guys. I recently traveled to Mike's Music in Cincinnatti, Ohio and had Mike Reeder authenticate/appraise it for me. I uploaded his appraisal to the website if you guys want to check it out. He confirmed it is the real deal! Thanks again for all the comments/info!

www.my1960gibsonburst.com

judson

Reaction score
Glad you got a value from someone other than us knuckleheads here... :rofl: :slap:

you came to the right place i think for some very good opinions and knowledge from members here..best place on the net really...no bs.

hey we all mean well for you but i will be the first to admit a 1960's lest paul is out of my league to place a value .....and way out of my league for a possible purchase...

unless you will accept $50k down, and $5k a year for 40 years!!!.. :fingersx:

great back story with your gramps will be appreciated by some....and i hope the person that ends up with this will appreciate it as well.....

good luck with a sale and thanks for the postings :yesway:

Last edited:

jenton70

Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe Clete will come forward, having decided to start playing again? :)

cjp54

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your grandfather. My condolences. What a wonderful gift he left you. Here's my 2 cents worth. I would have definitely had the guitar taken apart and photographed by one person (Mike the appraiser) since anyone willing to spend the kind of money these guitars are worth will want to see inside. I believe this would help with finding a serious buyer. What are you going to do when a serious buyer wants to inspect inside before purchase? People want to be sure they're getting the real deal. Pot codes, neck tenon, PAF authentication, and machining marks are a few of the items you only get by disassembly. Maybe you have a plan so take this for what it's worth or what you paid for it!

Last edited:

jim777

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your grandfather, that's a tough loss :(