An Amazing Find! 1960 Gibson Les Paul Burst!

oicu812

Reaction score
im sure this has been posted already - but i really hope Joe B doesnt buy this one too
I briefly reviewed the five pages in this thread, as could you, and I don't believe it has been posted, you were the first!

Is it a problem if Bonamassa buys it?

Last edited:

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I briefly reviewed the five pages in this thread, as could you, and I don't believe it has been posted, you were the first!

Is it a problem if Bonamassa buys it?
First in this thread. But in general, with all the forums, and FB groups, I see this comment at least 5 times a day.

rmeil

Reaction score
You should contact Joe Ganzler to do an appraisal of your guitar. He may even find the right buyer. Good luck with your fine

2Muchgear

Reaction score
Congrats on the find and sorry for your loss. So no one in the family knew Gramps played, and played a Les Paul? I wonder what he plugged into? Now that’s keeping a secret ‘in the closet’ for a lot of years.

Maybe this is EC’s ‘60 that disappeared...someone gives it to Grampa and asks if he can store it in a blanket for a while...? Stranger things have happened.

Ps - my advice, if you can afford to now that you know what it is - is to learn to play guitar!

thefees

Reaction score
I'm the odd man out here. Sell it. Look I respect the quality and sound on many a 59 and 60 LP but there is no way that you can justify keeping something that could bring as much as $300,000 or more. For sure you could buy/build or have built something comparable for 3 to 5 thousand. It's called having your cake and eating it too.
I'm still kicking myself in the butt when I looked at a 50 something Les Paul in the local paper with an asking price of $200 back in 1966. It had to be a 50 something because of how aged/used it was. I bought a new 66 Telecaster that I still have instead.
I have a 1995 EPI Les Paul that is a freak with .035" frets, a 16" radius in the neck so it is flat or close to it I should say, the ebony board is smooth as glass and it plays like a dream. With Gibson 490's on it, it sounds like a dream also. It has a full 1/4" maple cap as seen though the bridge mount hole.
Back to your 1960 LP. Oddly enough a collector may want it just the way it is right now, rather than with the tuners replaced. They may be particular to make sure they get a original 1960 set of tuners on it.
The overall thing is the incredibly good condition it is in. Looks like it was played, but also did its share of sitting.
Great find. The other downside to keeping it is if it gets stolen, unless you have a special rider on your insurance policy, it will be gone.

tokai4ever

Reaction score
It'll be tough, but try to find a replacement tuner of the same year to complete it. Then decide what to do with it.
...and get it off that damn desk! Gibson Les Pauls are notorious fro somehow falling over and snapping the headstock off!
DO NOT put it on a stand. Keep it safe in it's case if you have one. If you don't have a case that fits it perfectly find one.
And keep it temperature and humidity controlled. The last thing you want is for it to develop cracks or any warps.
Oh yeah, one more thing, if you want to trade it for a 1953 Gretsch drum kit or a few "Benjamins" give me a shout... :)

Reactions: Who

Chymore45

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'ts been very overwhelming lately and I'm just trying to be very cautious and responsible on how to proceed from here. I will keep everyone in the loop how everything turns out. Thanks again!

lespaul1648

Reaction score
That's f'n amazing! Looks legit, and if "restored" correctly, could be worth a shit-ton of money?

Awesome grandpa you had, and our sincerest condolences for his passing.

Just be warned, that there are a LOT of "professionals" that will come out of the woodwork, who will try to give you "advice" on what to do with it, especially since you're not a player, or very knowledgeable about vintage guitars. So be VERY careful!

Keep us posted on your journey into the world of the 'burst. Congrats on the find!

lespaul1648

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My Grandfather passed away recently and my Father and I have been going through his house to get it ready to sell. I came across this guitar in his closet wrapped in a blanket. I had no Idea what I found, I have zero knowledge about guitars. I posted a few pictures on a FB group and the post just exploded. Come to find out it's an original Les Paul 1960 Burst! I figured I would share it with this group and welcome any advice/information. Thanks in advance!

Sorry about your pap friend and congrats on the guitar. For real what you need to do is get in contact with a person who deals in vintage guitars. Not some lame who sells the everyday Ibanez. I mean a vintage guitar dealer. And please whatever you do please don't listen to people who are saying you need to restore it.

Have a qualified vintage guitar dealer look at it first before you do anything. Because there have been cases where people start to restore vintage guitars and it actually decreased the value by thousands...and I mean THOUSANDS. So just make sure you let a few different qualified people look at it first.

nkd

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, your grandfather had good taste.

mapleflame

Reaction score
No disrespect, but if we had great detailed pictures of all of the guitar insides and out, theres a lot of very competent guys that could verify/authenticate this guitar on this forum. Of course its always better in person. But It's not rocket science.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
No disrespect, but if we had great detailed pictures of all of the guitar insides and out, theres a lot of very competent guys that could verify/authenticate this guitar on this forum. Of course its always better in person. But It's not rocket science.
Agreed...but, it kind of IS "rocket science"?

I mean, after all, the pickguard of the LP was designed after the tail-fin of a rocket?

;)

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My Grandfather passed away recently and my Father and I have been going through his house to get it ready to sell. I came across this guitar in his closet wrapped in a blanket. I had no Idea what I found, I have zero knowledge about guitars. I posted a few pictures on a FB group and the post just exploded. Come to find out it's an original Les Paul 1960 Burst! I figured I would share it with this group and welcome any advice/information. Thanks in advance!
Oh it's no big deal, just an old Les Paul ....I'll give ya $100. .... ;)

Seriously, DON'T replace the tuners as someone else foolishly suggested, you must do all you can to preserve the originality of it being a 1960 Les Paul. You're obviously missing one of the tuners and there are people who sell original replacements from otherwise destroyed vintage guitars. It may take a little time, but searching for ONE matching replacement will help preserve it's value as 100% Vintage if you choose to sell it. The other intact tuners buttons (on Gibson's called Keystone shape) were made of Cellulose and that type of plastic deteriorates with time, expose to gases in the air and possibly interaction with that blanket if it was wool or polyester. Those tuner buttons are often replaced on a Gibson (of Fender and other brands) of this and older vintage (age). I do it all the time at my Luthier shop.

Here is what I suggest since this is beyond your capability, find a very good local Luthier (a trained guitar / wood instrument repair "tech"), ask about his training, get references. He will be better able to find a true vintage replacement tuner and install the replacement tuner buttons on the broken tuners. It won't be cheap, but far less damage to the value of that gorgeous 1960 Les Paul Standard when you sell it as 100% original vintage.

Please be careful in who you leave it with, make sure he has insurance and get a detailed receipt and written estimate for the work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I worked for Fender Guitars 1972 - 1999. Since leaving I have a Luthier and Retail Shop, repairing Vintage Instruments, Amps and making customs.

Latest Threads