An Amazing Find! 1960 Gibson Les Paul Burst!

devin dude

Reaction score
The market is flat /down on 'bursts right now.

An uncirculated example will be desired , but this guitar has already been blasted on internet Forums , so that won't help ,IMO , OMMV.

The seller would be best informed/advised to sell it to an end user , not a broker or flipper ,IMO.

In the worst case the seller turns down a good offer hoping for more $$$$...

As in most deals , taking the first best offer ends up being the best one to take...

After that , the guitar could sit for months before the seller ends up taking less , IMO,OMMV.

Nice guitar , best of luck selling it for top dollar...

judson

Reaction score
for some people it could be life changing money and for others not so much....

i dont think we know the sellers financial picture so who knows what works best for him and his dad

he said he doesnt play...so :dunno:

it would be super cool to see a pic of it with his grandpa...that would be great really...

OP got one you can post?

Last edited:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
for some people it could be life changing money and for others not so much....

i dont think we know the sellers financial picture so who knows what works best for him and his dad

he said he doesnt play...so :dunno:

it would be super cool to see a pic of it with his grandpa...that would be great really...

OP got one you can post?
Yes,.... Grandpa playing said guitar would be an awesome pic....... Love to see the amp he would plug this in.

Old burst pics in action with regular folk (non-famous that is) are always fantastic. I hope Grandpa was a player. ;)

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I'd bet he's not coming back, check his last login time, pump and dump.

pmonk

Reaction score
Might want to consult an attorney before giving potentially criminal legal advice...
The guitar is part of the Estate. If there is a Will, the language of the Will determines what happens to that guitar. If there is no Will, the Courts will decided the distribution of the Estate.

Concealing a valuable Estate asset is no question a crime in both scenarios.

d1m1

Reaction score
WOW What a great find! Ehat a treasure! Your grandpa had for sure taste!

Just be carefull. Dont let fool you. That guitar, first owner, not circulated, great condition, "under the bed" for decades find etc is worth a lot a lot of money! More than most are listed for sale and are arround for years and sold from one person to the other etc. Yours has all collectebility factors and it is in great condition (the missing tuner doesent matter that much).

Take your time, think if you wanna sell it or keep it, and if you decide to sell it, be carefull.

Cheers

lpfan1980

Reaction score
That's f'n amazing! Looks legit, and if "restored" correctly, could be worth a shit-ton of money?

Awesome grandpa you had, and our sincerest condolences for his passing.

Just be warned, that there are a LOT of "professionals" that will come out of the woodwork, who will try to give you "advice" on what to do with it, especially since you're not a player, or very knowledgeable about vintage guitars. So be VERY careful!

Keep us posted on your journey into the world of the 'burst. Congrats on the find!
Yes its worth a shit ton of money-recommend taking it to a reputed dealer/ its one of the most desired guitars of all time. :p your granpa had good taste.

judson

Reaction score
Of course he wants to sell it. This thread is part of the marketing campaign.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I’d sell it, too. I just hope that Grandpa was in a good financial position in the last two decades.... that guitar could have really helped out, if he wasn’t.
i dont know but the rats that chewed off the tuner buttons must have cancer by now......and looks like one ate the whole tuner..... :laugh2:

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd bet he's not coming back, check his last login time, pump and dump.
Of course.
I also have little faith that "the grandfather" part of the story is real. But I could be wrong.
Either way, looks like it'll be a nice guitar for whomever buys it.

ClashCityRocker

Reaction score
Now, you realize that your "visual aid" implies only one or two per year actually sell.

Oh, and a 50% drop in value in the most recent comp.
Sorry if i'm just daft but what is "the most recent comp." (ie- what does comp mean)

As a member with decades of experience, what would you think this guitar is worth, knowing what you know, ballpark? I understand if you don't want to post for whatever reason...just curios.

bblooz

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for losing G'pa, but nice that he left such a treasure for you. Welcome once again to the forum!

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Sorry if i'm just daft but what is "the most recent comp." (ie- what does comp mean)

As a member with decades of experience, what would you think this guitar is worth, knowing what you know, ballpark? I understand if you don't want to post for whatever reason...just curios.
In this case, the term "comp" is short for "comparables". There are numerous factors (condition, rarity, etc, etc) that have to be considered, before determining any sort of real, market valuation.

As for stating an opinion on the current worth/value - this isn't the place to discuss those sort of things, as that is something that should only be discussed between the owner, and appraiser.

I know this is a relatively small place, but any opinions shared on a public/open forum can/will have a huge impact on any future potential valuations/sales.

Pete M

Reaction score
It's a shame it is just a 60 with broken tuners, and not the "Holy Grail" 59. I feel bad for you :laugh2:

No really, thanks for sharing. Awesome find.

scozz

Reaction score
Looks like it needs a new set of tuners.
What makes you say that! :naughty:

Congrats on a great find @Chymore45 , I think I can speak for all of us here when I say,.....”we’ve all had a dream like that”,.......finding a 59 or 60 Les Paul at a tag sale or in an old aunts’, (or grandfathers), attic etc.

You are living our dream!!

(My condolences about your grandfather)

talonmm

Reaction score
As for stating an opinion on the current worth/value - this isn't the place to discuss those sort of things, as that is something that should only be discussed between the owner, and appraiser.

I know this is a relatively small place, but any opinions shared on a public/open forum can/will have a huge impact on any future potential valuations/sales.
I thought this forum was exactly the place to discuss the value of these guitars (however we can do without the misinformation).

The qualified buyers of this guitar won't have their budgets impacted on this item based upon our discussions, as long as misinformation such as non original parts, or other issues with this guitar aren't erroneously reported.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I thought this forum was exactly the place to discuss the value of these guitars (however we can do without the misinformation).

The qualified buyers of this guitar won't have their budgets impacted on this item based upon our discussions, as long as misinformation such as non original parts, or other issues with this guitar aren't erroneously reported.
I'm talking in terms of individual/personal valuations.