An Amazing Find! 1960 Gibson Les Paul Burst!

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about "now" either, and I certainly never used the word "difficult..." :thumb:

I was specifically referring to the psychology of selling a guitar with the specific circumstances surrounding that guitar.

The most active and aggressive buyers are at the very beginning of a guitar being offered for sale....then it tapers off. Depending on how a seller approaches things, they can squander that opportunity.

Last edited:

skydog

Reaction score
I have the same quilt; that oughta count for something!

0655DBD2-29CD-400A-BD52-DF03740B59E1.jpeg

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All you need to do now is tell us the bass guitar was strung up wrong-handed originally, and has an early-60's Royal Variety Show set list taped to the lower bout, and all those Les Paul "finds" will pale into insignificance for value. If not, nice quilt!

I was specifically referring to the psychology of selling a guitar with the specific circumstances surrounding that guitar.

Not everyone's going to get it, but the "mystique" of a new appearance on the market definitely has value, and can get mighty worn out by a long and detailed public examination, in the most part by people that don't have any in-hand experience of classic era electric guitars. I guess the problem is that this idea must be difficult for many sellers to understand, thinking that the more people that know about it, the more likely it is to sell for a very high price. It just doesn't work like that. The sellers will most likely end up with an exaggerated expectation of financial value, but potential buyers will feel like they are looking at goods that have been pawed by everyone and their uncle.

Eric, for the avoidance of doubt, I get it. If I ever find myself in the market for a '58-'60 Les Paul (unlikely, but let's never rule it out :rofl: ) I'll be looking for one that hasn't been critiqued on all the major guitar forums, with a YouTube "unboxing" video made by a dealer with little experience of anything made before 1970.

Liam

Last edited:

moreles

Reaction score
I'm sorry about your grandfather's passing. But did you happen to find the note he left saying that he wanted his guitar to go to me? More seriously, what a cool find -- wrapped in a blanket! And yes, yours gets the Coolest Grandpa Ever award.

Qwas37

Reaction score
The suspense is killing me! What happened to this guitar? It's a bummer that the web site appears to have been taken down.

GrandJunction

Reaction score
Geez - the only thing we found buried in my grandfather's closet was an Italian switchblade some Mitch Miller records.

Latest Threads