An Amazing Find! 1960 Gibson Les Paul Burst!

Chymore45

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My Grandfather passed away recently and my Father and I have been going through his house to get it ready to sell. I came across this guitar in his closet wrapped in a blanket. I had no Idea what I found, I have zero knowledge about guitars. I posted a few pictures on a FB group and the post just exploded. Come to find out it's an original Les Paul 1960 Burst! I figured I would share it with this group and welcome any advice/information. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My Grandfather passed away recently and my Father and I have been going through his house to get it ready to sell. I came across this guitar in his closet wrapped in a blanket. I had no Idea what I found, I have zero knowledge about guitars. I posted a few pictures on a FB group and the post just exploded. Come to find out it's an original Les Paul 1960 Burst! I figured I would share it with this group and welcome any advice/information. Thanks in advance!
Your Grandpa just left you something worth enough money to buy a house, assuming it is the real deal.
Know that it's worth a LOT of money, and decide wisely what to do with it.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
That's f'n amazing! Looks legit, and if "restored" correctly, could be worth a shit-ton of money?

Awesome grandpa you had, and our sincerest condolences for his passing.

Just be warned, that there are a LOT of "professionals" that will come out of the woodwork, who will try to give you "advice" on what to do with it, especially since you're not a player, or very knowledgeable about vintage guitars. So be VERY careful!

Keep us posted on your journey into the world of the 'burst. Congrats on the find!

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope that your grandfather lived a fantastic life and enjoyed every minute :cheers:

Cause it would be sad if he lived anything less,... this guitar would have given him a little means to enjoy life a little better.

I would say be very careful with it amigo.

Last edited:

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
just a snapshot of the marketplace for an instrument like this...
That's not a representation of the marketplace. Only ONE of those Les Paul's has features similar with the OP's....and that one is dramatically overpriced.

Please don't mislead the OP. It's erroneous information like this that is a real hindrance to the the owner and the potential buyers of guitars like these.

Last edited:

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just be warned, that there are a LOT of "professionals" that will come out of the woodwork, who will try to give you "advice" on what to do with it, especially since you're not a player, or very knowledgeable about vintage guitars. So be VERY careful!
Actually, there have been a few "professionals" that have reached out to him. :laugh2::wave:

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Wow, what a cool find. The stuff LP guy's dream about. Condolences on your Grand Dad though.

Please consider keeping and playing it. For me the saddest thing is when the "collectors/experts" can tell owners everything about the guitars, gain their confidence and then proceeded to smooth talk themselves into a reasonable deal. Then the guitar sits in a collection as a commodity instead of as a beloved instrument, which it was b/c your Grand Dad never sold it.

StudioFan

Reaction score
Wow have any pics of the fretboard especially the 12th fret marker ?

Or more pics ??

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For me the saddest thing is when the "collectors/experts" can tell owners everything about the guitars, gain their confidence and then proceeded to smooth talk themselves into a reasonable deal. Then the guitar sits in a collection as a commodity instead of as a beloved instrument, which it was b/c your Grand Dad never sold it.
Um, not like the guitar is getting, or has been getting, played. Tuners? :thumb:

Regardless of who buys it, the next guys stands a much better chance of making music with that puppy.

judson

Reaction score
sorry for your loss ....without a doubt even a find like that doesnt ease the pain

but i will bet your gramps would be happy it will bring some joy in your life no matter what you do with it.

dont rush into any decision with it for awhile...take a few months or longer to act or not.

finding that is a great story...thanks for sharing it......:h5: