Amsterdam to Ban Tourists in Pot Coffee Shops

Louie

Reaction score
Yeah that would kill our economy

I've read somewhere recently that 25% of the tourism revenues of the city of Amsterdam are linked to the soft drug sales either directly (coffee shops) or indirectly (i.e. hotels, restaurants and the occasional museum visit, where drug tourists spend money as well).
Is this verified information or just from the Cannabis Merchants Association?

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Well, I hope they go trough with it. Ill be heading to the coffee shop 20 times a day, and sell it to tourists for twice the price :laugh2:

Naa serious, its not gonna happen. Its not only still a 'plan', but it wont work either.
They do have a far advanced plan to prevent 'drugs tourism' from our neighbours: Germany and Belgium. Many coffee shops are located close to the border and its amazing how many people go there each day. They want to stop the extra traffic because its giving problems.

Robinv

Reaction score
I live near the border with belguim and all coffee shops(Roosendaal and Bergen-op-Zoom) have been closed here a few years ago. Doesn't seem to bother the regular population, except for my uncle who is a drinks wholesaler he lost half his costumers.
The drug tourism has gone down by a lot, but it's not gone it just moved to the next town over (Breda to be precise).

You know us dutchies don't smoke nearly as much as you all think. Sure there's some stoners, but most people don't use at all, and some only once a week/two weeks when there's a special occasion. I myself tryed it once at my highschool graduation party never toutched the stuff again after that :)

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Yeah me and my friends all smoked pot a couple of times, but there aint any of us that smoke regular. I dont think we have more stoners than in other countries

Ed B

Reaction score
What's next? No buffet at the live sex shows?!?!?! WTF. :laugh2:

I don't smoke and I've only hear stories of Amsterdam from friends. Haven't been there myself. ALL of the stories involve sex shows and hash bars. Cut the hash bars and you might as well go to Thailand...5x! :D

Hack

Reaction score
There are other things to do for tourists.

Red-Light-Girls.jpg

LarsK

Reaction score
There are sooooo many other ways to get that sh*t in Amsterdam. I am done with it anyway. Last thing I want to do is getting stoned on my vacation.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
The other issue here is the EU as, under EU legislation, anyone with an EU passport is legally allowed to travel to any other EU country, can live and work there, and has the same rights as those born there. As such, I cannot see how this law could possibly hold up if they were to pass it.

MojoTone

Reaction score
I have been to Amsterdam twice when I was younger and I did partake on both visits. I smoked daily in my early twentys and really found it to be quite relaxing and used that time for personal reflection and for generating new musical ideas. I gave it up in my mid twenties and have not touched it sense. I have nothing against people who smoke, and I much prefer to be around stoners than drunks. If it were up to me I would rather the USA outlaw alcohol and legalize marajuana. I would still love to visit Amsterdam again even if they pass this law( as I don't smoke anymore myself),but I think it will kill their tourist industry.

bobarino

Reaction score

if you're caught with drugs in your possession, even if it's a small amount,
the authorities will take them from you, and you have to pay a fine.
(and if it happens to be more than 5 grams,
it's automatically considered trafficking, which is a crime.)

am i a criminal for parking my car on the sidewalk?
no, parking a car on the sidewalk doesn't constitute a crime.
but is it illegal to do so? yes, it is, 'cause the law says you can't.
so i'm breaking the law and have to pay a fine? yes.

same scenario.

Lampens

Reaction score
:laugh2: Finally we get a thread about the netherlands and ofcourse it's about pot and ho's.
It's like libtards vs rightwing biblethumpers and the pro's and cons of guns threads about the USA.

Anyway, Amsterdam has more to offer then pot and ho's. Then again. I don't care if they shove the whole western part of the country in to the sea. Stuck up twats over there. :D

0x00

Banned
Reaction score
if you're caught with drugs in your possession, even if it's a small amount,
the authorities will take them from you, and you have to pay a fine.
(and if it happens to be more than 5 grams,
it's automatically considered trafficking, which is a crime.)

am i a criminal for parking my car on the sidewalk?
no, parking a car on the sidewalk doesn't constitute a crime.
but is it illegal to do so? yes, it is, 'cause the law says you can't.
so i'm breaking the law and have to pay a fine? yes.

same scenario.

Obrigado.

sad-panda.jpg

Latest Threads