Amps 101...A How To For Everything Amplified

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
Someone asked for an "Amps 101" thread. Well I saw this posted somewhere else and thought it would do someone some good. There is a lot of reading, but pretty much everything you would need to know about tube amps, and how to use them....good luck!
Guitar Amp Tone and Effects Placement
I am going to add this link too. Lots of good stuff here as well!!
http://www.harpamps.com/micKdiy

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
Only 7 views? Sure glad I didn't take the time to type all that out myself, LOL!:laugh2::laugh2:

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
Thread is stuck...we'll see how the response is...thanks for the post!

BB

acstorfer

Reaction score
Wow, tons and tons of interesting stuff!

Thanks

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
I just added another great link to the original post. :thumb:

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
I wish I could add this to the OP because it's a really good way to learn what certain value caps and resistors do in certain spots of the circuit of the amp. It tells you the exact affect it will have on what part of the sound, and is explained in a way even a novice like me can understand it.
Modifying Guitar Amp Preamp Circuitry

here is a link to the main page
Regis Coyne's Tech Page

Lurko

Reaction score
Great link. Bookmarked. Thanks!

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
This is a great link that Liam posted for a tone stack calculator to see what frequencies your tone stack operates at. This is great information to have in your head, especially if you are running an EQ pedal in the chain. This way you are not boosting, and cutting the same frequencies...kind of redundant, and canceling each other out. Or for just knowing what you are boosting or cutting period.

The program is free, and takes up little space. Enjoy, and thanks to Liam! :thumb: TSC

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
Here is another really good page for learning about amps. Some stuff you may know, some may be new to even an old amp "Veteran".

Click on the different categories under where it says "Guitar Amplifiers" in the menu in the upper left of the page...really cool stuff. :naughty:
http://www.gmarts.org/index.php?go=210

sonar1

Reaction score
Thanks.

Wealth of good links too inside some of these links.

GuitarMechanic

Reaction score
I wish I could add this to the OP because it's a really good way to learn what certain value caps and resistors do in certain spots of the circuit of the amp. It tells you the exact affect it will have on what part of the sound, and is explained in a way even a novice like me can understand it.
Modifying Guitar Amp Preamp Circuitry

here is a link to the main page
Regis Coyne's Tech Page

Yes that is awesome and pretty easy to understand for sure

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
Well enjoy guys! :thumb:

There is so much stuff here it takes a while to read it all, and as said, there are several other links within these links.
If you had a specific question about something, I would search for just the answer to that question. Whatever else you learn along the way is gravy.
Here is another link that should be on this page. It can get a bit technical, and I have had to read some things more than a few times to understand them, but the info is spot on and from a very respected guy in the amp world, Randal Aiken...check it out. It's a "question and answer" type of format.
Tech Info

2themax

Reaction score
This is great thread, thanks RH1

After about a fifteen year break I've been playing regular again and just can't seem to get a repeatable sound that I'm happy with. I know that part of the issue is my guitars have minor issues that are being resolved slower than I'd like but they are quality instruments and should be able to get something close to a decent tone. I rarely use pedals and basically stick to the canned amp sounds on my VT's.

My old 70's gear is long gone and now I've got a couple of Vox ADVT's (a 30 & 50, the 50w I keep just in case a band gig happens :D), a Vox AC4TV head with a 12" Egnator cab, and a fender Frontman 25r. All I can figure is that I haven't really worked with these amps enough to learn how to fine tune them - the Fender seems to be the most consistent for a decent tone at low volumes. The Vox VT's are all over the place, sometimes they sound great, sometimes you can't buy a good sound. The AC4 is pretty marginal on the 1/4w and 2w settings (could be the 12" speaker cab), on 4w it's acceptable but the sweet spot is from 1/2 vol and up which is pretty loud (for something I bought to use as a bedroom amp).

I think that playing again now without the "extra-curricular activities" :slash: of the old days my older ears may not be as sharp but they are more selective. And age has taught me that the issue is probably with me, not the amps -

Thanks dude for the informative thread, these links should be very helpful...

:dude:

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
No problem guys. I have been adding some stuff as I find it.

Latest Threads