Ampmaker WF-55 kit speaker configuration ..

bcguitars74

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new in this section of the forums, I usually hang out in the "Luthiers Corner" but have been doing a bit of research as I've got the WF-55 kit coming in the next week or so .. I've been itching to build an amp for ages and I saw that Ampmaker just reopened, literally today!!

Amps are new to me but I'm fairly handy on the woodwork side so I'll build my own cab and so on - I'm just wondering what people's preferences are regarding speaker configuration ..

I thought to build this into a combo for easier portability and at the moment I'm considering the following: 2 x 10" combo (like my Vox V15) or 1 x 12" - I also thought to make a panel so that I could have a closed back if I wanted to mic up.

Is this overkill for a 5w amp? And if so should I rather build it as a separate cab so I can use it with other amps?

I'd love to hear what other people use !

Thanks
Ben

Cjsinla

Reaction score
From what I can tell, your kit is a 5f1 clone. Post some links to the site if you please. It might be helpful to see all the parts. FWIW, I built my 5f1 as a combo with a single 10” speaker. But I think my chassis is different than the one in your kit.

E47FC6A0-C403-4A6C-9E08-63E74C905C0B.jpeg

bcguitars74

Reaction score
Hiya, thanks for replying! Yep it's a 5f1 clone, the page is here: WF-55 Kit. This is primarily for home use, I have a Peavey Classic 30 for gigs but I can't even turn it up to 1 in my flat .. :/

I've been looking at speaker reviews all day and I'm more confused than before :) I'd like something with some soul, not harsh or tinny, for playing a bit of blues or fusion stuff but still with a bit of bite.

There is someone selling off Eminence "The Governor" 12" drivers for about £60; I also found a lot of people raving about the Victoria 5112 amp which is a Champ-style circuit paired with (I believe) an Eminence Legend 1258. I've been checking them out too and they go for just a little more than "The Governor", around £70.

Decisions decisions :run:

Last edited:

Cjsinla

Reaction score
You will have to build a cab for sure. Mine has a Weber 10a125, 10” alnico. It’s kind of punchy and has some chime to it. Not sure what you need to get the sound you want.

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
From what I can tell, your kit is a 5f1 clone. Post some links to the site if you please. It might be helpful to see all the parts. FWIW, I built my 5f1 as a combo with a single 10” speaker. But I think my chassis is different than the one in your kit.

View attachment 473769
My, what a purty lil’ thing.... cute as a button. I love the tweed look .... and the colour .... like a perfect tan, earned hard by years of wailing the playing the smokey honky tonks.

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
...... I have a Peavey Classic 30 for gigs but I can't even turn it up to 1 in my flat .. :/
I had the same problem...as much as it’s such a great amp it sounds awfully muddy and dull if the volume is under 2 which is simply too loud for home use. I couldn't anyone local to perform the Blue Mod,but I solved the issue by buying a used Boss G7 with the Sniper Mod (£60!), which I run in the loop (Velcro’d to the top) with the sliders a wriggly W to remove those nasal mids and all the amp EQs at noon.... problem solved!!!! Super flexible and quiet as a church mouse. The Celestion G 12 30 helps.....

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ben, my vote would be for an open back 1x10 combo. It's just a perfect setup for the 5F1 circuit. As for speakers, I'd go with a Weber 10A125 alnico as mentioned by @Cjsinla. The alnico gives a smooth compression that's not present in a ferrite mag speaker.

I don't think the closed-back cab option is worthwhile. To do so properly you'd have to isolate the amp from the speaker and properly insulate the speaker cab with acoustic foam. Much of the charm of tweed amps is the voicing of an open back cab. You'll definitely want to build the cab larger then the Fender factory cab. They were too small to properly handle a 10" speaker.

I don't build clones, but have built a few Champs by special request. They really are the perfect amp!

DSCF7564.JPG

DSCF7568.JPG

bcguitars74

Reaction score
Thank you @Angus Blackmore for the tip! I will have to research the blue mod.

Thank you also @Soul Tramp, I will definitely give that a thought; I looked at the Weber but it's not as easy to come by in the UK and has a hefty price tag ..

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
Hiya, thanks for replying! Yep it's a 5f1 clone, the page is here: WF-55 Kit. This is primarily for home use, I have a Peavey Classic 30 for gigs but I can't even turn it up to 1 in my flat .. :/

I've been looking at speaker reviews all day and I'm more confused than before :) I'd like something with some soul, not harsh or tinny, for playing a bit of blues or fusion stuff but still with a bit of bite.

There is someone selling off Eminence "The Governor" 12" drivers for about £60; I also found a lot of people raving about the Victoria 5112 amp which is a Champ-style circuit paired with (I believe) an Eminence Legend 1258. I've been checking them out too and they go for just a little more than "The Governor", around £70.

Decisions decisions :run:
I forgot to mention a few years ago when pondering what to do with my Classic there's a company called Watford Valves that used to offer a "Classic 30 Upgrade Kit" that included a full set of specific valves voiced for clarity and a Weber Blue Dog speaker.... I don't know if they still sell it but maybe worth a try. It was a bit out of my budget.

bcguitars74

Reaction score
I forgot to mention a few years ago when pondering what to do with my Classic there's a company called Watford Valves that used to offer a "Classic 30 Upgrade Kit" that included a full set of specific valves voiced for clarity and a Weber Blue Dog speaker.... I don't know if they still sell it but maybe worth a try. It was a bit out of my budget.
Thanks, I'll check that out!

Latest Threads