Amphenol Plugs.

rogue3

Reaction score
Just sharing a tid bit .I was looking at some of my longest lasting guitar cords...the plug ends make or break it...my cords with these plugs on the end are still perfect...although the strain relief sucks and is showing its age, beyond the plug in the cable sheath(splitting)

Then i was surpised to see they are made in canada...to mil spec.No wonder they are so robust.read more,link.

https://www.amphenolcanada.com/

they are easy to identify...every plug i own has the name stamped in the plug base.top shelf plug.

amphenol.jpg

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mil spec, might git me some of those. I just broke a neutrik straight connector, managed to snap the piece the ground is soldered too. I didn’t pull that hard honest.

geddy

Reaction score
Amphenol are a major player in the military/industrial connector market, particularly circular multipin. Im not aware of a mil spec for standard 1/4" jacks (this doesnt mean there isnt one and the link didnt take me to one) but there is a mil spec for a similar plug I know as GPO plugs. They are not the same. (the one pictured is clearly a 'normal' jack)

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm an Air Force vet and worked as an electrical engineer in aerospace after that for about 7 years. I'm very familiar with Amphenol, they make phenomenal connectors! I mostly used their cannon plugs.

I'm sure that these are awesome and I might even buy myself a few, but I have to say that it's probably overkill for guitar cables. Nothing wring with that, though.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When I built my pedalboard I wanted to have one loom and connector that carried all signal, midi and DC power.

When going that proprietary, you're in a world of hurt if something goes down in the middle of a gig.

Amphenol. The connector is built like a tank!

P1080496.jpg

P1080497.jpg

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those things held the traffic signal industry together for decades.
Some of the newer controllers are getting away from them as they move to serial communication and low voltage, but the power connectors are still Amp on NEMA equipment.
Our controllers use a 3-prong power plug, with a 104-pin Amp connector for the interface to the cabinet harness.

moreles

Reaction score
If the strain relief "sucks" and the cable just beyond the plug splits, how can these possibly be considered to be good units? Strain relief is fundamental to cable function. And not that hard to design for, either.

kungpow!

Reaction score
Cool

I like Neutrik NP2 connectors, it has a plastic strain relief thingy, holding up for me for years, literally flawlessly

Latest Threads