Amp Suggestions...

joba

Reaction score
Have a hardwired 64. Keep the volume at 3 , with pedals it will break up fine. You can't make that amp sound bad

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a Fender 68 Princeton Reissue with a G12 greenback - it sounds lovely with both my fender strat and R9. What i'm looking for though is a nice overdriven sound out of it. I've tried a soul food pedal and you really need to turn up the volume to get any appreciable break up tone out of it, which i don't like doing. I don't want to have to wear earplugs to play.

I have recently been looking at a Friedman PT20 combo amp as either a second amp or a replacement that can do both clean and dirty at lower volumes. Does anyone have experience with a good OD pedal that doesn't make the Greenback in my Princeton all flubby at lower volumes? Also, any member reviews of the PT20 combo with a Les Paul?
The first thing I would want to know is how we are defining “lower volume”? For instance, my “little” 5W singled ended EL84 amp is loud enough to shake the room it’s in at full tilt.

This could be an opportunity for you to get a purpose built or off the shelf amp designed for home practice. The same amp I discussed above was put together from an old Epiphone Valve junior circuit board. I modified it to tweak voltages and cathode bias of the EL84 and added a dirt/drive control, variable negative feedback and a presence control. It is LOUD even at 5 watts at full tilt but by tweaking the drive, NFB, and presence, I can get good drive sounds at volumes not much higher than conversational levels.

For reference, i'm using a Celestion G10N-40.

Last edited:

soyboi

Reaction score
The first thing I would want to know is how we are defining “lower volume”? For instance, my “little” 5W singled ended EL84 amp is loud enough to shake the room it’s in at full tilt.

This could be an opportunity for you to get a purpose built or off the shelf amp designed for home practice. The same amp I discussed above was put together from an old Epiphone Valve junior circuit board. I modified it to tweak voltages and cathode bias of the EL84 and added a dirt/drive control, variable negative feedback and a presence control. It is LOUD even at 5 watts at full tilt but by tweaking the drive, NFB, and presence, I can get good drive sounds at volumes not much higher than conversational levels.

lower volume to me is 2-2.5 on my amp. I don't know what the decibel level is at that level - will check with my phone

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

BAD ASS :p :p

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
lower volume to me is 2-2.5 on my amp. I don't know what the decibel level is at that level - will check with my phone
Ok. That makes sense. I think it may be worth pursuing a small, simple, single ended amp for practice. It sounds like the Princeton is good for “stage” volume situations but you need something you can get a good “tubey” tone out of at lower volumes.

I’ll say this: with the volume at around 10 o’clock, Negative Feedback dialed down, drive dialed down, and Presence up, and with a dirt pedal of some variety hitting it, my little 5 water gives good drive tone at true bedroom volume.

For the technically savvy and ambitious, building a simple little amp like mine would probably only set you back $200-$300 dollars if you are thrifty, already have a speaker, and are comfortable putting a head and speaker cab together.

BlueFin

Reaction score
Egnator Rebel 20 or a Tweaker. Can't go wrong.

Mzdych

Reaction score
Get a Friedman ! You will love it ! The PT20 is great for jcm800 tones but you might like the dirty Shirley better . Alittle more sag to the amp based on a jtm 45 . Or a runt since it’s a two channel amp. Either way you can’t go wrong with any of those choices !

mbm1972

Reaction score
Some other amp options you might consider ...

- First, I'd second the recommendations for the mesa route, several good options there ...
- Another one I've found to be quite spectacular, in terms of shimmering cleans to phenomenal, cascading, overtone-rich distortion are the Bogners (maybe my all-time favorite for both cleans and driven, particularly the Shiva model)

Both of the above could offer replacement options for the Princeton if you were to go that route, but if you want to supplement, if you aren't familiar with them, have a look at the Carr amps. Outstanding quality in every way, though some of the models (e.g. the Mercury) deliver only specific flavors of sound, albeit at incredibly high levels of quality.

Just some thoughts to make choosing more complicated ;-)

Oh, and the main point of all of this was to say that any of these options would allow you to have an amp you could play at living room volumes while still achieving great tones. I have a Mesa Lone Star head with a 212 rectifier cabinet that I use for practicing, home recording, etc. and am able to achieve what you are looking for in an amp (albeit not the Marshal sound, obviously, but other models in the ranges referenced above would do what you want and yield the Marshal tones you want).

Last edited:

Cory

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a Fender 68 Princeton Reissue with a G12 greenback - it sounds lovely with both my fender strat and R9. What i'm looking for though is a nice overdriven sound out of it. I've tried a soul food pedal and you really need to turn up the volume to get any appreciable break up tone out of it, which i don't like doing. I don't want to have to wear earplugs to play.

I have recently been looking at a Friedman PT20 combo amp as either a second amp or a replacement that can do both clean and dirty at lower volumes. Does anyone have experience with a good OD pedal that doesn't make the Greenback in my Princeton all flubby at lower volumes? Also, any member reviews of the PT20 combo with a Les Paul?
Like most on here, I’ve run through so many amps trying to find the right one it makes my head spin until I finally found the one - I couldn’t be any happier with my Bogner Shiva 20th (w/ reverb & KT88’s) - I mostly play at low volume and it sounds superb - both channels have independent channel volumes, and the 2nd channel has 2 gain knobs as well (one is for the boost) - there’s also a global master volume, so you can crank the channel volumes and still dial it back to be whisper quiet + with the mode and mid-shift buttons, there’s pretty much nothing it can’t do - also has an excursion knob on the back panel that you can crank up when playing at low volumes to fill out the low end - I can’t say enough about this amp - I run it through a closed back Bogner 2x12 w/ 65 creambacks - honestly can’t ever see anything replacing it - hope this helps!

manchild

Reaction score
Friedmans have great master volumes, ive AB’d vs attenuators and it sounded better to me. So good that my Smallbox 50 is great at any volume, better than any lower wattage amps ive had: fender prri/drri/hrdx, marshall 2061x/class 5, egnator rebel 20 (i also tried attenuators with the nmv amps).

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friedmans have great master volumes, ive AB’d vs attenuators and it sounded better to me. So good that my Smallbox 50 is great at any volume, better than any lower wattage amps ive had: fender prri/drri/hrdx, marshall 2061x/class 5, egnator rebel 20 (i also tried attenuators with the nmv amps).
I definitely agree about Friedman MVs. As I indicated in another thread, I thought the whole mv thing was overhyped; not anymore, and my Friedman is on my 20 watts

Patek

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the Princeton 68 as you do and the PT 20 mini stack (1x12 separate cab)

great amp, but loud as hell and not really possible to play at low volumes as you will not get much out of it. Not recommended from what you have said

I have a diezel Herbert head and 4x12 and that is actually a better head for low volume than the 20w PT20

I’ve got a kemper power head now and I’m considering selling the PT20 but I do use the little cab for the kemper when not recording. Will be selling the Princeton at Some point as well. Both have become redundant with the kemper

Jim Klein

Reaction score
love my victory v30 mk II its the guthrie govan lunch box head.. 40 watts or 7 watts ..great in the living room as well as the gigs. victory amps rule for me. as well as my old fenders !!love to combine a tremolux with the victory on my 2x10 z cab .. sonic bliss..

soyboi

Reaction score
I have the Princeton 68 as you do and the PT 20 mini stack (1x12 separate cab)

great amp, but loud as hell and not really possible to play at low volumes as you will not get much out of it. Not recommended from what you have said

I have a diezel Herbert head and 4x12 and that is actually a better head for low volume than the 20w PT20

I’ve got a kemper power head now and I’m considering selling the PT20 but I do use the little cab for the kemper when not recording. Will be selling the Princeton at Some point as well. Both have become redundant with the kemper
Thanks I’ve heard good things about the kemper. I’m hoping this sweet tea pedal does what I need it to do. I’m happy I didn’t pull the trigger on the Friedman

soyboi

Reaction score
I have a Princeton give this a listen ...
Marshall one side /tube screamer other . stackable very versatile
I just wanted to follow up and say thank you for the recommendation. The tones that i can get from both sides of the pedal are incredible - 100% worth every penny.

Latest Threads