Amp Suggestions...

soyboi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a Fender 68 Princeton Reissue with a G12 greenback - it sounds lovely with both my fender strat and R9. What i'm looking for though is a nice overdriven sound out of it. I've tried a soul food pedal and you really need to turn up the volume to get any appreciable break up tone out of it, which i don't like doing. I don't want to have to wear earplugs to play.

I have recently been looking at a Friedman PT20 combo amp as either a second amp or a replacement that can do both clean and dirty at lower volumes. Does anyone have experience with a good OD pedal that doesn't make the Greenback in my Princeton all flubby at lower volumes? Also, any member reviews of the PT20 combo with a Les Paul?

Attachments

soyboi

Reaction score
PT-20 also needs volume to sounds its best. Perhaps look at a lower-wattage option, such as a Marshall SV-20?

As far as OD with a tight low end, anything Tubescreamer-ish should do the trick.
Really? I thought that was one of the appeals of the PT-20, was marshall like tones at bedroom levels. I'll look out for an SV-20 thanks man!

soyboi

Reaction score
Have you thought about a good attenuator?

Whatever you do, and by all means I encourage the purchase of a new amp, but whatever you do keep the Princeton.
I don't have experience with attenuators. Does it allow for cranked sounds at lower volume?

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 4 amps, all tube amps. I have a Fender Princeton Reverb, two UK built Marshall's, and a Mesa/Boogie. A lower wattage Marshall like an SC20H is an excellent choice. It's a Master Volume amp and doesn't require an attenuator.

If you're looking for just a Marshall type tone, a Friedman is really good quality, though slightly darker than a similar UK Marshall.

If you're looking for flexibility, I'd recommend a Mesa. I have the Mark V 25. It has two channels with 3 voicings each. Each channel has its own set of controls. It's a Master Volume amp. The array of tones that can come from 6 different voicing, and having separate Gain and Master Volume is pretty much endless. There are multiple models of Mesa's to choose from. And if you get one with the type of flexibility I mentioned above, you can get Marshall tones, Friedman tones across the Friedman line of amp models, Orange tones, etc.

My 2 cents.

soyboi

Reaction score
I have 4 amps, all tube amps. I have a Fender Princeton Reverb, two UK built Marshall's, and a Mesa/Boogie. A lower wattage Marshall like an SC20H is an excellent choice. It's a Master Volume amp and doesn't require an attenuator.

If you're looking for just a Marshall type tone, a Friedman is really good quality, though slightly darker than a similar UK Marshall.

If you're looking for flexibility, I'd recommend a Mesa. I have the Mark V 25. It has two channels with 3 voicings each. Each channel has its own set of controls. It's a Master Volume amp. The array of tones that can come from 6 different voicing, and having separate Gain and Master Volume is pretty much endless. There are multiple models of Mesa's to choose from. And if you get one with the type of flexibility I mentioned above, you can get Marshall tones, Friedman tones across the Friedman line of amp models, Orange tones, etc.

My 2 cents.
thanks for the suggestions, I have some shopping around to do haha.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with a good OD pedal that doesn't make the Greenback in my Princeton all flubby at lower volumes? Also, any member reviews of the PT20 combo with a Les Paul?
Pretty much what the Tube Screamer was designed to do, put in the mids, our lacking, and decrease the bass frequencies. You could try the EHX Green River Drive, their take on a Tube Screamer

Also, what some do, is they will use something like a Timmy drive (older versions or MXR licensed mini reissue, that actuakky cut bass frequencies via bass knob) after other OD pedals, to tame those bass frequencies, before they make the amp flubby. Timmy is often used as always on, to reduce treble and bass frequencies from preceding pedals.

BUT, what you may want to look at is the group of pedals, called Amp in a Box pedals. These are OD/Distortion pedals meant to mimic a particular amp's dirt. You would set your Princeton to a clean tone, then use this pedal as your dirt. There are AIAB pedals for all manner of Marshall, Supro, Fender, Dumble, Orange, Friedman, etc.

Some reading material on AIAB pedals

https://www.tonebox.com/reviews/best-amps-in-a-box
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/amazing-amp-in-a-box-guitar-pedals/
https://producerhive.com/buyer-guides/guitar-pedals/best-amp-in-a-box-pedals/
https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/six-of-the-best-amp-in-a-box-pedals-616826

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a Fender 68 Princeton Reissue with a G12 greenback - it sounds lovely with both my fender strat and R9. What i'm looking for though is a nice overdriven sound out of it. I've tried a soul food pedal and you really need to turn up the volume to get any appreciable break up tone out of it, which i don't like doing. I don't want to have to wear earplugs to play.

I have recently been looking at a Friedman PT20 combo amp as either a second amp or a replacement that can do both clean and dirty at lower volumes. Does anyone have experience with a good OD pedal that doesn't make the Greenback in my Princeton all flubby at lower volumes? Also, any member reviews of the PT20 combo with a Les Paul?
I have a PT-20. Yes, it will sound better at higher volumes, HOWEVER, in my opinion, it sounds phenomenal at low volumes (90 db and less). The hype about the Master Volume is really true (in my experience). I only play at home so low volume is a must. Sounds like a modded JCM 800.

Mine is the older version without the 3-way switch.

Also, take a look at Carls Custom Amps. Carl just built me a Vintage 12 which uses a single EL34. Plexi and JMP non-master volume. Mine has PowerScaling, and is absolutely phenomenal

Carl also has a Custom 7 which is Modded JCM 800ish.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Orange Rocker 15, either the combo or the Terror head. Has the Headroom/Bedroom feature. Can be run at 15-7-1-0.5 watts. Great Orange tone, and the Natural channel was made for pedals.

IMO, 20W of tube power is still a LOT for ‘bedroom’ levels. YMMV.
YES!! Also, Orange OR15. Incredible master volume

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
JCM800 in a pedal

The UK build is more desirable, however the Korean will get you close. The Mk 2, not so much.

Even into a SS amp it delivers. It most definitely does through my 68 Bandmaster and Rivera era Super Champ..

Last edited:

tzd

Reaction score
Really? I thought that was one of the appeals of the PT-20, was marshall like tones at bedroom levels. I'll look out for an SV-20 thanks man!
No, NOT the SV-20 (aka Studio Vintage, or mini Plexi)! Like the Princeton, it needs to get LOUD for any breakup.

Pedal-wise, are you using the Soul Food with Volume max and Drive close to minimum? That's the way to push the amp into breakup. You can also do the same with a Tubescreamer, or an EQ pedal.

matthew bear

Reaction score
Depending on your desired flavor of dirt, perhaps an Orange bangeetar pedal with your Princeton?

or any amp in a box pedal, I know I love my lovepedal les luis...

but if I had a Princeton, and I was after something with a maximum amount of flexibility between more classic crunch and something able to chug a bit too, I’d go Orange.
I have a Orange Rockerverb 50 mk 3 that is awesome for all the things, but I’d go for a lot of different oranges depending on my preference.
AD 30, OR 15, rocker 15/30. Terror, dark terror...

hell, the micro dark is loved by a lot of folks, and is very affordable...

matthew bear

Reaction score
Depending on your desired flavor of dirt, perhaps an Orange bangeetar pedal with your Princeton?

or any amp in a box pedal, I know I love my lovepedal les luis...

but if I had a Princeton, and I was after something with a maximum amount of flexibility between more classic crunch and something able to chug a bit too, I’d go Orange.
I have a Orange Rockerverb 50 mk 3 that is awesome for all the things, but I’d go for a lot of different oranges depending on my preference.
AD 30, OR 15, rocker 15/30. Terror, dark terror...

hell, the micro dark is loved by a lot of folks, and is very affordable...
And to add my own post, I think overall they just cover a sonic space that is classic and is also modern, it’s unique. So look into that sound and see if you dig it.

Latest Threads