Amp suggestions

StratJeff

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Would love to hear your suggestions for amps for my setup. Here's what I've currently got:

DRRI (1x12 22w)

Guitar: Single coil Strat, soon to be a humbucker Strat as well
Band style: Foo Fighters, early Smashing Pumpkins, 90's grunge/alt rock
Board: Signa Drive, OCD v4, Aqua Puss, Analog Chorus (basically)

The levels of the DRRI are good, but I'd like a little more headroom. 1x12 or 2x12, would like to stay in the $400-800 used or new range. Don't need a super complex modeling amp, just want a lush, bigger sound that will satisfy clean Strats as well as an OCD'd bucker.

Prefer combo amps...lugging around a cab+head isn't really the best option.

Thanks!

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
tweak the DRRI for more headroom

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I really dig my blues deluxe cleans, used it lot in many situations. I also love my bluesbreaker. The bluesbreaker used could be found for around $900.

hrfdez

Reaction score
I really dig my blues deluxe cleans, used it lot in many situations. I also love my bluesbreaker. The bluesbreaker used could be found for around $900.

Brother tell me where, the cheapest I can find is 2499.00 2x12 30w at SweetH2o:thumb:

Steven

Reaction score
You want more headroom, for the price range you list, you can get a secondhand Twin Reverb.

Sin Nombre

Reaction score
Have a resource I can look into?

I "liked" cybermgk's post but in fact it would be difficult to get as much extra headroom as you are probably wanting. Lower gain pre-amp tubes will not allow the power tubes to stay clean longer and you will probably not find a speaker that is enough more efficient than the one you have. But a Hotrod Deluxe or Blues Deluxe at 40 watts will be louder with a decent clean albeit not as rugged or Fendery sounding as the DRRI. A Twin Reverb would be a lot louder and heavier at 64lbs.

LesLuvva

Reaction score
You want more headroom, for the price range you list, you can get a secondhand Twin Reverb.

Yup; been seeing those go for around $750 lately. If you need more clean headroom than the Twin Reverb, well, well...I dunno.

SirJackdeFuzz

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Would love to hear your suggestions for amps for my setup. Here's what I've currently got:

DRRI (1x12 22w)

Guitar: Single coil Strat, soon to be a humbucker Strat as well
Band style: Foo Fighters, early Smashing Pumpkins, 90's grunge/alt rock
Board: Signa Drive, OCD v4, Aqua Puss, Analog Chorus (basically)

The levels of the DRRI are good, but I'd like a little more headroom. 1x12 or 2x12, would like to stay in the $400-800 used or new range. Don't need a super complex modeling amp, just want a lush, bigger sound that will satisfy clean Strats as well as an OCD'd bucker.

Prefer combo amps...lugging around a cab+head isn't really the best option.

Thanks!

. . . a used Fender Super Sonic 60W combo :slash:

Fender Super Sonic 112 Combo 60 Watt Guitar Amp 717669395445 | eBay - $699.99 BIN

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Brother tell me where, the cheapest I can find is 2499.00 2x12 30w at SweetH2o:thumb:

:shock: I looked online and I had the same experience. I picked my bluesbreaker up used for about $900. Fresno prices I guess. Sorry about that.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I "liked" cybermgk's post but in fact it would be difficult to get as much extra headroom as you are probably wanting. Lower gain pre-amp tubes will not allow the power tubes to stay clean longer and you will probably not find a speaker that is enough more efficient than the one you have. But a Hotrod Deluxe or Blues Deluxe at 40 watts will be louder with a decent clean albeit not as rugged or Fendery sounding as the DRRI. A Twin Reverb would be a lot louder and heavier at 64lbs.

Actually for the price he's talking, OP should look at the Badcat Unleash. Set his DRRI to the tone he wants, then have the unleash crank that up with it's 100W of transparent Class D amplification.

LesterNtele

Reaction score
Don't mind me for this, but a strat is not going to do very well that type of music.
Some strats sound OK with humbuckers, but they just don't have that midrange that good rock music requires - reguardless of the amp.
This is my opinion and I'm sure I'll get the business, but that's the way I see it.

You would be far better off getting a second guitar with humbuckers and one where they were not hanging from a sheet of plastic. LP's are excellent, but you'll get a better sound from any other non-strat guitar.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Don't mind me for this, but a strat is not going to do very well that type of music.
Some strats sound OK with humbuckers, but they just don't have that midrange that good rock music requires - reguardless of the amp.
This is my opinion and I'm sure I'll get the business, but that's the way I see it.

You would be far better off getting a second guitar with humbuckers and one where they were not hanging from a sheet of plastic. LP's are excellent, but you'll get a better sound from any other non-strat guitar.

OP says his band sounds like the Smashing Pumpkins. Billy Corgan plays a Strat.

Latest Threads