Amp recommendations?

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
I play mostly blues & rock. 90% of the time it’s single note blues and lead playing at lower volumes (loud enough to bother people in my house, but not outside. No gigging. All of my dirt comes from pedals. I need a pedal platform with great cleans.

Right now I use a Vox AC4 1x12. And I was either thinking mod that (making it an open back, tube and maybe speaker swap) or get a new amp. I like the vox, Not in love with its stock iteration right now.

Was thinking a limited blues junior (with either the cannabis Rex or eminence red white & blues.) Or spending more on a Fender reissue Princeton or deluxe. The Stapleton signature Princeton looks cool. It’s a brown face with a 12” speaker.

Anyhow, I probably won’t get to try these out unless my local GC has them. They’ll probably have the limited juniors at least.

Thanks guys.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I need a pedal platform with great cleans.
I have never heard a complaint from a Deluxe Reverb player for this need.

However, if I was serious about only using a pedal platform amp, I'd be very curious to try an Orange Pedal Baby. One of these, plus an affordable cab would be far less than a Deluxe.

David Garner

Reaction score
If you have the funds, that Stapleton Princeton is absurdly good.

I love Fender amps. I have a Deluxe Reverb clone and it just loves my Les Pauls. I use a Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver and I can go from sparkly clean to Dio or Iron Maiden with a twist of my volume knob. Of course, you can turn it off and go pristine clean. I also have a Tumnus Deluxe for more mid-gain tones, but most of the time I get those by rolling back to about 7 on the guitar volume with the Skreddy. The cool thing is I can switch to the Strat and it gets perfect Strat tones with the volume rolled of to 8.5 or so with the Skreddy, and it gets this really cool chirpy "clean with hair" tone with the Tumnus. It will get louder than you'll ever want it to, with plenty of clean headroom for gigs, and it can also sound great at maybe 2.5-3 or so on the dial at very reasonable home volume.

Bogmonster

Reaction score
What's your budget? Is there a particular flavour of amp you like (Marshall, Fender...??)?

There are loads of amps that serve well as a pedal platform. Fender is always a popular choice and I've used my JTM45 at very low volumes with great results.

I've also heard great things about the Wampler Bravado too. The demos of it sound great.

bblooz

Reaction score
In the bargain amp category, I would recommend an Orange Crush 35RT. It sounds awesome for a solid-state amp (it's analog), takes pedals well, has headphone and cab sim out, and the reverb sounds great! I bought mine used for around $200, so not a major outlay in cash. If you look around, you can even get one in black tolex (if the orange cosmetics are not your thing).

Latest Threads