Amp makers that have their ON,OFF and STANDBY switch in the back of the amp

Standard 64

Reaction score
Thats such a huge turnoff(ha!!:laugh2:)My next amp purchase will have the switches in front.Its just so much more convenient,it really is!!!!

singlecut

Reaction score
Thats such a huge turnoff(ha!!:laugh2:)My next amp purchase will have the switches in front.Its just so much more convenient,it really is!!!!
so just to be clear.
if you found an amp
and you really liked it.
but those switches were in the back you'd pass?
and buy an amp you didn't like as much ,just for location of the switches.

thank you for not being in my band:applause:

V2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
my current project amp has the AC power switch in the back and the standby up front. A Traynor Mark 3 was the original source of inspiration, but beyond that, it makes good sense as far as my wiring plan goes.

I did consider putting the AC power switch up front too. That was my initial preference. But now I see some merit to using that back panel for something.

yawny

Reaction score
I don't see any reason to dislike an amp because of standby/power placement.

It's usually determined more by circuit layout or aesthetics than anything.

Leave it to Standard to post something potentially inflammatory. :rolleyes:

River

Reaction score
Yeah, because you have to reach back there and flip 'em every couple of minutes.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
...As long as you don't accidentally bump against them and turn off the amp in the middle of a face ripping solo. :cool:

JMV

Reaction score
Well when they stay wedged against the wall in your mother's basement, I could see why that would be a bit annoying.

Rhust

Reaction score
yes, all back-switch amps suck, leave them alone.... maybe it will once again drive down the cost of amps like tweed, blond, blackface, silverface, etc... almost all of which have their switches on the back...

gimme a break.

hipofutura

Reaction score
I don't like the switches on the back panel either. Not a "huge turnoff", and it wouldn't influence by purchase decision. But, it's an example of too many engineers and not enough users involved during the design phase. It's easier and cheaper to put the toggles on the back.

I build all my amps with the switches on the front panel.

ed1996

Reaction score
I would prefer the switches on the front, but it wouldn't stop me buying and amp if they were on the back.

eaglewolf

Reaction score
I have amps both ways, and I have to agree with Standard in preferring them in front. I don't think it would affect a buying decision as others have said, but I'd still rather have them up front.

Of course, I primarily use them just when I turn the amp on or off, or if I'm walking away for a few minutes while leaving the amp on I might flip the amp to standby if I don't just turn the guitar volume down.

Other than convenience I really don't care, even if it is really nice that the switches are in the front on my Mesa. I buy my amps for the sound - if I wanted convenience I'd stick with a solid state amp.

David

Jack's back

Reaction score
Somebody I thought knew tone once tried to palm off an amp with blue tolex! Blue!!! :shock:The nerve!:laugh2:

Duane24

Reaction score
play for hours at a time like myself and it's really not all that much of a hassle

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My DR has 'em in the back; don't even have to look at the amp to find 'em. My RM has it on the front, don't have to look at that one, either.

I fail to see the difference. If anything, the rear-mounted toggles on my DR are safer from damage. But, I try not to drop my amps...

Matty

Reaction score
You must find it a real bitch having to plug in the power cord in on the back Standard!

Oh, the inconvenience!

River

Reaction score
I wanna know where he found this amp with both an "ON" AND "OFF" switch. I'd stand there all day trying to figure out which one to flip when.

But he's prep-school edjumicated, so it's just my stoopidity at work.

hipofutura

Reaction score
I wanna know where he found this amp with both an "ON" AND "OFF" switch. I'd stand there all day trying to figure out which one to flip when.

But he's prep-school edjumicated, so it's just my stoopidity at work.

You guys are brutal! :laugh2: :laugh2:

Latest Threads