Amp and pedal volume

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Hmmm I wonder why the guy on the phone told me to put the volume pedal between the head and cab? Thanks for the replies. I've been researching on other websites as well and everywhere I've read says putting a volume pedal between the head and cab is a huge no no. I understand people at GC and Sam Ash aren't experts, but I mean, if I ended up doing this is could have caused damage. Anyways, back to the attenuator idea. An attenuator goes between the amps output and the speaker, but not a volume pedal?

GC and Sam Ash exist for one purpose only. To sell merchandise. Whether they know anything about the merchandise or not is irrelevant. In the future, don't ever rely on a retail outlet to provide technical information about anything on earth.

I'm no expert on amps and pedals by a long shot, but I have been using them both for well over 40 years. There are many here though, that build/repair/troubleshoot amps, guitars and pedals, for a living. Don't ever listen to some kid answering the phone at Sam Ash. :cool:

Power attenuator (guitar) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
I ordered the attenuator. Hopefully it works for me :]

You'll be amazed at how much better your amp sounds when cranked and not blowing your ear drums out. You should have played at full volume for a couple days and then passed a hat around your neighbours to pay for the attenuator.:thumb:

musicmand

Reaction score
Sorry for all the posts, but I called and talked to a guy at Sam Ash and he told me it'd be better to use a volume pedal, and use it between the amp and cab. Can anybody confirm that this would be a good option?

That isn't just a $50 dollar volume knob. It's an L pad power soak capable of attenuating up to 50 watts! It is fine for his 5 watt head. He has a class 5, 5 watt head with no effects loop. I agree on not using a volume pedal.

Sorry about that. I misread your post and thought you were talking about one of those passive volume pots being called "volume attenuators" all over eBay. My bad.

Iron Broadsword

Reaction score
For $10 and an hour of your time you can install Orpheus's "master volume" (bad name.. it's actually a knob that lets you adjust the volume of the attenuator already built-in to the amp, which is used for the low power mode currently.. just google it to find his post about it). Sounds fantastic and works in both low and high power mode.

As far as adjusting pedal volumes.. every time you adjust your amp volume, you'll have to adjust pedal volumes. With a non-master volume amp, different amp volumes will saturate the preamp tubes differently.. and if the amp is really cooking you will find that a clean boost with an EQ on it is probably all you want out front. Maybe a fuzz for psychadelic leads. And if you use delay you will want the volume on that to be almost off.

Latest Threads