Amp and pedal volume

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a C5 with an OD pedal for OD tones at lower volumes. If I'm correct, I get more drive from the amp at a lower volume with the volume on the OD pedal turned up right? I'm curious to know if this is safe for the amplifier. Does this push the amp too hard? I practically have the amp volume at 0. I'm doing the same with a fuzz pedal. Also, I accidentally used the fuzz and OD pedal at the same time and heard a really nasty squealing sound. Can running these two pedals together damage an amp?

dbagmaximus

Reaction score
I've been wondering this for a while as well. I doubt it would harm anything because at low volumes you'd be using the pre-amp tubes more (right?) and they never run as hot as power tubes so I imagine you can push them hard before anything bad happens. I'm no expert, this is just what I'm assuming

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, in order to get the desired fuzz tone, I want the volume on the Fuzz face to be turned all the way up. My OD is turned up passed half, and my compression pedal is turned up all the way. In order to hear my compression pedal I need to turn the amp up higher, but when the amp is turned up higher like this, then my fuzz becomes too loud. I'm not using both pedals at the same time.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to be able to switch through my pedals with each using the same volume. I have to adjust the volume with each one because some are louder than others. Is there a way to fix this?

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Most amps can take a couple volts at the input, no problem.

You have pedals with no output control?

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
I have a class 5 head I use at home and run it with a 4x12. Get yourself an attenuator on ebay for about $50 bucks. You will have more sustain without the need for all those pedals. You will be able to run the amp up to 10 and hear how it is meant to sound. Or run it lower and boost it with your pedals to taste.

mwB7z4_z6oB8DvUpeL8YRqg.jpg

slagg

Reaction score
I'd like to be able to switch through my pedals with each using the same volume. I have to adjust the volume with each one because some are louder than others. Is there a way to fix this?

No..

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a class 5 head I use at home and run it with a 4x12. Get yourself an attenuator on ebay for about $50 bucks. You will have more sustain without the need for all those pedals. You will be able to run the amp up to 10 and hear how it is meant to sound. Or run it lower and boost it with your pedals to taste.

mwB7z4_z6oB8DvUpeL8YRqg.jpg

Do they sell attenuators like this at GC? And does it run in front of your amp like a normal pedal?

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for all the posts, but I called and talked to a guy at Sam Ash and he told me it'd be better to use a volume pedal, and use it between the amp and cab. Can anybody confirm that this would be a good option?

musicmand

Reaction score
Sorry for all the posts, but I called and talked to a guy at Sam Ash and he told me it'd be better to use a volume pedal, and use it between the amp and cab. Can anybody confirm that this would be a good option?

Ummmmm, no no and more no.

If you have an effects loop, you can put a volume pedal there, roll it back, and turn up the preamp. On the flip side, on a non-master volume amp, you can turn down the preamp and boost in the effects loop to drive the output stage a little hotter.

Under no circumstances, however, should you put a volume pedal or one of those $50 volume knobs between the head and cab. Too much power.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
The input to your amp accepts a very low voltage signal, sometimes referred to as "line-level". This signal can come straight from the guitar, or from pedals in signal path. The pedals only produce a line level signal to your amp. No matter how much you adjust gain on an OD pedal it is not sending more power to the input, it is just increasing the tone of the signal.

In other words, you can't fry your amp's input from a pedal's output. On the other hand, the squeal you were describing (high gain feedback), could damage your speaker if it went on too long. By then it might damage your ears also.

Once your amp takes that low level signal input from guitars and pedals, it "amplifies" (get it? :naughty:) that line level signal into a very powerful electrical signal, to push the cone in your speaker(s) to make sound.

A speaker represents an electrical load or resistance to the amp. The power amp section of your amp is designed to expect that amount of load. If you power up your amp without a speaker, it will eventually fry your transformer.

An attenuator is a device designed to put a load on your amp, while lowering the actual power output going to your speaker (low volume).

An attenuator does not go between the guitar and the amp's input. It goes between the amp's output and the speaker(s).

In turn, an effects pedal (such as a volume pedal) never goes between the amp and the speaker. It always goes to the input of the amp, or in the amp's effects loop, if it has one. Putting a pedal between the amp and the speaker will most likely fry the pedal and possibly the amp.

It may save you some time and plenty of money, to read up on some of the basics of guitar amplification. Things such as the pre-amp stage and power amp stage and speaker hookups. The differences between combo amps and head/speakers will help also. There is no shortage of info on the web. Just look for some explanations that don't get too technical and it may help answer all of the questions you have posed so far.

There are no dumb questions. Everyone has to start somewhere. Just make sure of the signal levels you are dealing with before you start plugging things in to where they should not be getting plugged.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm I wonder why the guy on the phone told me to put the volume pedal between the head and cab? Thanks for the replies. I've been researching on other websites as well and everywhere I've read says putting a volume pedal between the head and cab is a huge no no. I understand people at GC and Sam Ash aren't experts, but I mean, if I ended up doing this is could have caused damage. Anyways, back to the attenuator idea. An attenuator goes between the amps output and the speaker, but not a volume pedal?

TeaForTwo

The Guitar Whisperer
Reaction score
Hmmm I wonder why the guy on the phone told me to put the volume pedal between the head and cab? Thanks for the replies. I've been researching on other websites as well and everywhere I've read says putting a volume pedal between the head and cab is a huge no no. I understand people at GC and Sam Ash aren't experts, but I mean, if I ended up doing this is could have caused damage. Anyways, back to the attenuator idea. An attenuator goes between the amps output and the speaker, but not a volume pedal?

Yes. There are some good threads here on attenuators. You can stroll through the pages here,
(which I'd recommend) or try the search function.
There are also a couple of attenuators for sale on our Member's Classified section, I can look those up for you if you'd like.
And keep asking question here until your issues are resolved.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. There are some good threads here on attenuators. You can stroll through the pages here,
(which I'd recommend) or try the search function.
There are also a couple of attenuators for sale on our Member's Classified section, I can look those up for you if you'd like.
And keep asking question here until your issues are resolved.

Thanks! I'll look in the classifieds section as well as eBay. Recommendations for a good brand would be helpful. :)

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll look in the classifieds section as well as eBay. Recommendations for a good brand would be helpful. :)

The power soak I posted is perfectly good for what you need. Suitable for up to 50watt amps. They are available on ebay. I use the exact same one on my class 5 and orange th30 amp heads. You place it between the amp and speaker cab via 2 speaker cables. The guy that said use a volume pedal between your head and cab should be sacked.

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
Ummmmm, no no and more no.

Under no circumstances, however, should you put a volume pedal or one of those $50 volume knobs between the head and cab. Too much power.

That isn't just a $50 dollar volume knob. It's an L pad power soak capable of attenuating up to 50 watts! It is fine for his 5 watt head. He has a class 5, 5 watt head with no effects loop. I agree on not using a volume pedal.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The power soak I posted is perfectly good for what you need. Suitable for up to 50watt amps. They are available on ebay. I use the exact same one on my class 5 and orange th30 amp heads. You place it between the amp and speaker cab via 2 speaker cables. The guy that said use a volume pedal between your head and cab should be sacked.

Do you have links to any videos of the power soak?

Latest Threads