Am I wrong? Fake Gibson question

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
Dude selling a fake Slash with the Gibby logo on the headstock. Even if he says its fake, its still illegal to sell right?
Screenshot 2022-06-29 130607.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-29 130633.jpg

James R

Reaction score
Slash's original Slash guitar wasn't a real Gibson either, so this is probably more authentic than the knock offs that Gibson is selling. :laugh2:

To answer your question though, yes, I believe it is illegal to sell a counterfeit even if it's been disclosed as a counterfeit.

TheX

Not a Navy SEAL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are people here that have and sell LP copies with Gibby on the headstock. People here seem to think that's just fine.

Don't want the guitar? Move along, not really anyone's business.

TheX

Not a Navy SEAL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just call it a *replica*, it works here.

TheX

Not a Navy SEAL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't contact the seller unless I wanted to buy it.

redking

Reaction score
On the surface, I wouldn't say it's illegal per se. The only possible crime is fraud for saying that it's something that it's not (and he disclosed it). That being said, Gibson would have a civil case against him for creating and selling a fake Gibson Slash model.

six-string

Reaction score
When you look into it, you will find that on average, about 1/2 of all the products sold in the world are counterfeit or fakes or stolen or otherwise..."illegal". This includes a huge amount of product presumed to be authentic by the wholesaler and retailer etc.
From clothing, furniture, electronics, auto parts, food, pharmaceuticals etc.
It is 'estimated' that about 1/2 of the global economy is based on black market or grey market goods.

So although you might not even be aware of it, you have probably bought and used, or consumed 'fake' products already.
Who knows, maybe MLP is a fake Les Paul website?

LP121

Reaction score
No idea what it's like now but years ago you could walk down Constitution Ave in DC in broad daylight and buy all the Oakley sunglasses and Rolexes you wanted for $10 a piece.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
The Gibson logo is trademarked, so selling, even if disclosing that it is a fake, is still selling a product with a counterfeit trademark. 100% illegal. You could report it to Gibson directly if you see fit.
I was mostly trying to give the dude a heads up that if Gibson spots it they can go after him. No good deed goes unpunished I suppose. I try to help the dude and educate him and I get BS back from him.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No idea what it's like now but years ago you could walk down Constitution Ave in DC in broad daylight and buy all the Oakley sunglasses and Rolexes you wanted for $10 a piece.

Times Square in the early Seventies!

--R :thumb:

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
A Chibson is a Chibson no matter what else you call it, made in a China factory. The marketing of them has really expanded in 15 years. Not so much the blatant rip offs on ALi and DH Gate. Huge market , Tokyo Customs is an actual store in Japan that sells Chibsons and does custom work. Polaris is all over FB and does them with nitro, fret edge binding and the right bridges.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibson has been known to report CL posts and send emails to the seller telling them to take the ad down if its fake. At least they used to. In fact I think this is now Mark Agnesi's job. :laugh2:

James R

Reaction score
Gibson has been known to report CL posts and send emails to the seller telling them to take the ad down if its fake. At least they used to. In fact I think this is now Mark Agnesi's job. :laugh2:
Didn't he get fired?

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All stating it's a fake does, is keep him from ALSO violating fraud laws.

It is illegal to sell, whether it is stated as fake or not under

Trademark Counterfeiting Act of 1984. The Act makes it illegal for individuals to knowingly use a counterfeit trademark to sell goods or services. A counterfeit mark is one that:

• Is used to sell items or services;
  • Is very similar to or the same as a registered trademark; and
  • Is likely to confuse the public or cause the public to buy goods or services marketed under the false trademark.

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
Oral sex is still illegal in 18 states. The chance of being arrested for it these days is probably the same as counterfeiting.

Latest Threads