Am I the only one? (Stock Pickups)

1allspub

Reaction score
the maple flame mod everyone did was the abr1?
hmm

-chris
Yep, though I mean to say “screws” instead of “studs” in my previous post. IOW, you replace the ABR-1 bridge mounting screws with longer steel ones. But yeah, a user on the other LP forum named “mapleflame” came up with the idea several years ago and it became known as the “mapleflame mod”. Supposed to be a pretty good mod... but I’ve never done it.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
... you replace the ABR-1 bridge mounting screws with longer steel ones ... it became known as the “mapleflame mod” ...
Sorry for the stupid question: What is the benefit? Stronger and keeps from breaking/bending? Better sustain?

dro

Reaction score
Have a MIM Strat I replaced everything but the body and neck.
Generally, I don't buy Strat's.
black strat.JPG

LP's I tend not to buy ones I don't like the tone of. I do have a BB Custom, I put Burst Bucker 1 \, & 2 in. And don't like it. Some day, I'll replace with either Seymore Duncan 59's or possibly Antiquity's.

1allspub

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question: What is the benefit? Stronger and keeps from breaking/bending? Better sustain?
Honestly, I’m not 100% sure. Like I said, I’ve never actually done the mod. But I suspect all the above plus likely a tone benefit too.

1allspub

Reaction score
Have a MIM Strat I replaced everything but the body and neck.
Generally, I don't buy Strat's.
View attachment 625753
LP's I tend not to buy ones I don't like the tone of. I do have a BB Custom, I put Burst Bucker 1 \, & 2 in. And don't like it. Some day, I'll replace with either Seymore Duncan 59's or possibly Antiquity's.
Let me just say, for clarity’s sake, that those of us who do swap stuff on LPs don’t buy guitars we don’t like the tone of either. We have just learned from experience and tinkering that we can often make them even better. We chose guitars we like as well. Especially if they have certain characteristics that we already like and that experience has told us are often improved upon with our “go-to” mods (eg, if a guitar already has good sustain, then I know that adding some Faber locking tailpiece studs will make it even better, as my experience has shown me that their addition to any guitar always improves sustain).

So it’s not a matter of taking a sub-standard guitar and trying to make it good… it’s a matter of taking a good one and making it even better.

moreles

Reaction score
We tend to forget that most general players never do any modding, or even maintenance, on their guitars. Online forums are a sort of filter, attracting a disproportionate number of gear obsessives and hobbyists, while never engaging most guitar owners and players at all. This certainly is the only place where I encounter guitarists who are as fussy, detail-obsessed, and ready to spend to drop a lot of money instantly to change something they just bought. Forum members are not your usual crowd of owners, players, or musicians.

efstop

All your base are belong to us
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three of my guitars have been modded with a pickup swap. The other 17 are stock.

1allspub

Reaction score
We tend to forget that most general players never do any modding, or even maintenance, on their guitars. Online forums are a sort of filter, attracting a disproportionate number of gear obsessives and hobbyists, while never engaging most guitar owners and players at all. This certainly is the only place where I encounter guitarists who are as fussy, detail-obsessed, and ready to spend to drop a lot of money instantly to change something they just bought. Forum members are not your usual crowd of owners, players, or musicians.
Truth!

Overture

Reaction score
My 3 LP's have different sets of BKP's in em. I haven't met a stock Gibson pickup yet that I get along with. The custom buckers that came in my R7 and R8 sounded great but I prefer the feel of a higher output pickup. The 498/490 that came in my custom were swapped before I even plugged the guitar in. Enough experience with those pickups to know they're not for me.

I spend 90% of my playing time through my JP2C - Tube amp expander - interface - studio monitors. The 2C is ridiculously sensitive to pickups/whatever is in front of the amp. It's just the way the mark series amps are. So for me, the pickups have to feel right.

skydog

Reaction score
I hate to be “that guy” and suggest a google search for the mapleflame mod, but there are so many links to at least 3 or 4 forums that you could easily spend several hours purveying them all. I did it on an R7, and it made a sizable improvement, both in tonal response and vibration. The guitar “came alive”.

CyFan

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swap everything on most import guitars but the more expensive guitars that I buy are here because they are special in and of themselves without swapping anything.

dro

Reaction score
I know people who buy, strip, install new parts, to the cost upwards of $500.
Then refuse to change their strings until one breaks.
Have also seen them boil a set of strings on the stove.
Really.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Voiding the warranty within the first month of ownership is my trademark. Pickups, pots, caps, bridge, tailpiece and studs.
But I'm also more of a tech guy than a musician.That's another way of admitting I have more money than talent :)

1allspub

Reaction score
Voiding the warranty within the first month of ownership is my trademark. Pickups, pots, caps, bridge, tailpiece and studs.
But I'm also more of a tech guy than a musician.That's another way of admitting I have more money than talent :)
1659782539069.jpeg

dro

Reaction score
You mean, more dollars than sense.

g0ldr4k3

Reaction score
I usually like gibson's pickups. even the 490s. they have their reason. I'm in love with the 57 and the 61s... but I still don't know about dirty fingers...and it says a lot. I love the guitar with them stock, but I never play her because of them. but I don't have the stomach to swap them and every time I look at the guitar I fall in love....sadly I can't sell her....
for epiphones or other guitar I swap pickups almost immediately!!! look at my signature... ;)

30secs

Reaction score
I usually keep the guitars like I keep my cars. Mostly stock. I like Gibson pickups and have all 3 on different Les pauls. I do like to tinker with the wiring but it's just cause I enjoy.

I'm just trying to be a decent player. Any tone nuances take away from trying to not suck

efstop

All your base are belong to us
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guitar Fetish Strat-size lipstick tube pickup. The mount had to be slightly elongated with a half round file and the screw holes slightly reamed for the larger pickup screws. The guard changes are not noticeable.

full

Latest Threads