Am I doing this harmonic correctly

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
The song is "Her Black Wings" by Danzig, and I'm referring to the harmonic that occurs during the verse at 0:23 in the below link:

Now here is a quick clip of me doing it. It sounds about right, but I always thought this was a pinch harmonic? I'm not pinching with my right (strumming) hand. I suppose I am kind of pinching with my fret hand.

So is this correct? Also is this what's considered "pinch harmonics" or is it something else?

tzd

Reaction score
The trick is the position of your right hand where you play the pinch harmonic. Experiment with moving your right hand up and down the string, you will get harmonics of different notes.

Slash does this on Nightrain 0:26 :

Last edited:

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
The trick is the position of your right hand where you play the pinch harmonic. Experiment with moving your right hand up and down the string, you will get harmonics of different notes.

Slash does this on Nightrain 0:26 :

So it’s mostly just the position of my right (strumming) hand that makes a difference? Not actually pinching anything with my right? Just want to confirm that’s definitely the case lol

tzd

Reaction score
So it’s mostly just the position of my right (strumming) hand that makes a difference? Not actually pinching anything with my right? Just want to confirm that’s definitely the case lol
You need to pinch with the right hand, but try doing it at different positions along the string. The ‘pinching’ is basically letting a little bit of the flesh of your thumb touch the string together with your pick. (It’s easier to do it with the Dunlop Jazz III pick.)

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
You need to pinch with the right hand, but try doing it at different positions along the string. The ‘pinching’ is basically letting a little bit of the flesh of your thumb touch the string together with your pick. (It’s easier to do it with the Dunlop Jazz III pick.)
Okay, I think what I'm doing is pinching with my fret hand and it's giving me something similar to the effect, but not exact. Thanks!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The pitch of the harmonic depends onthe location of your right hand. Try doing a pinch harm starting above the bridge pickup and as you move your right hand towards the neck pickup, keep playing and pinching the same note...but you'll hear the harmonic change. A perfect example is Zz top la grange.....check outat 3:09 to about 3:13

gadafi

Reaction score
Don't have my guitar on me you sure you got the right note there?

Edit: Damn well had to fire up the guitar to try this one it's not the F# on the D string first time and C on the A string second time is it?

Like tz says you're not actually 'pinching' anything you are just following through with the fleshy bit of your thumb behind your pick a microsecond after your pick hits the string. Nothing to do with your fretting hand you still fret the note as you would normally.

Last edited:

Latest Threads