Aluminum paint tray safe for food?

joesatch

Reaction score
Looking for advice here. I have this unused paint tray. It is solid aluminum and fits perfectly in my oven/smoker. What's more, it is angled which would perfectly allow for drainage of fats away from the meat. Is this safe to cook with?

Hack

Reaction score
Aluminum is, yes. Be sure it isnt galvanized steel. (use a magnet)

But this will only allow smoke to the exposed parts. If you are indeed smoking, you need something that smoke can get around the whole thing at the same time.

Malikon

He got joo joo eyeballs
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
maaaaaaaayybe?

Hard to know if it's been treated/cleaned with any chemicals. Or if there's any residual coating that might be activated from the heat and contaminate the food.

You'd probably be fine,....just depends whether or not you want to risk it?

*shrug*

....I wouldn't,..unless I were starving and there were no other options.

chasenblues

Reaction score
Keeping with the theme of the OP,(And in reference to post#2)

Paint roller grid.(Course don't know if its safe chemically for food preparation)

danohat

Reaction score
Fill that bad boy up with chili cheese fries and lemme know. I'll test it.

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
You have no idea what metals are mixed with that aluminum. What happens to it when it heats up? No idea? don't use it.

Hairless_Ape

Doc
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anything other than beans goes directly on the rack. What the heck is wrong with you? :squint:

lunchmeat

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JUbq2fMmTg]Gordon Ramsay cursing at people 1 - YouTube[/ame]

joesatch

Reaction score
lol thanks guys. i wont use it. It could contain harmful chemicals

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Wasn't aluminum banned from cookware years ago because it can contribute to Alzheimer?

twst1up

Reaction score
Wasn't aluminum banned from cookware years ago because it can contribute to Alzheimer?
I don't believe so. they still sell it

I can tell you this: in the homebrewing community there is alot of debate about using AL. It strikes me that it's generally accepted to be safe, although there are always a well represented portion of folks who keep the old wives tales alive when the debate resurfaces.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I don't believe so. they still sell it

I can tell you this: in the homebrewing community there is alot of debate about using AL. It strikes me that it's generally accepted to be safe, although there are always a well represented portion of folks who keep the old wives tales alive when the debate resurfaces.
I think there is a strong lobby lead by Al Uminum.

six-string

Reaction score
all that beer i drank from aluminum cans made me forget all the bad experiences i've had in life! those pesky brain cells are gone for good!
thank heavens.

okay...to the OP if you actually lined that paint tray in tinfoil you probably could cook on it perfectly safely and it would still work as you intended.
no offense to my brethren here at MLP but they are not the rocket scientists/brain surgeons that you might think they are....

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
I wouldn't use it.
Even when wrapped in foil that thing could still give off some nasty fumes.
A food safe tray is only a few bucks. Well worth the investment for the obvious health reasons.
Stick a brick under a flat tray if you have too but don't use a paint tray.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I cook, virtually everyday, in cast aluminum pans. I have never heard of a legitimate concern about their safety. If there was anything concrete, All-clad and Calphalon would be out of business.

JonMan94

Reaction score
Avoid aluminum cookware because of Alzheimer’s disease | Kitchen Myths

This myth got its start a number of years ago when medical researchers found elevated levels of aluminum in diseased tissue from the brains of Alzheimer’s patients (dead ones, I hope). One logical possibility (but not the only one) was that the raised aluminum level was responsible for causing the disease. Get exposed to too much aluminum, from your job perhaps or your cookware, and you would have a better chance of coming down with this awful disease. People started avoiding aluminum cookware, and some still are – unnecessarily it turns out. Subsequent research has failed to show any connection between aluminum exposure and Alzheimer’s, and it is believed that the elevated aluminum in the brains of Alzheimer’s patients is a result of the disease process. In other words, high aluminum levels do not cause Alzheimer’s, but rather Alzheimer’s causes high aluminum levels.
Memory Loss Myths & Facts | Alzheimer's Association

Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.

Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.
There, don't get your wood all splintered up over it Bobby. :thumb:

lunchmeat

Reaction score
I cook, virtually everyday, in cast aluminum pans. I have never heard of a legitimate concern about their safety. If there was anything concrete, All-clad and Calphalon would be out of business.
From a guy who's tone deaf and looks like a skeleton :fingersx:

Latest Threads