Alternative wiring for a brighter neck pickup

Mookakian

Reaction score
The resistor acts to control how fast frequencies are sent to ground, most treble bleed circuits i have seen run with the resistor before the cap so its interesting you put it after, im not too sure that would matter much, but id think it would make some difference in how the circuit responds, ill try that bass cut out today sometime i think and report back ;) I have never built one before, only messed with high and mid cutting/boosting circuits :thumb:

David Collins

Reaction score
@ David Collins: in the same time, you would also notice that the 1meg res to ground is essential (do not ask why, just believe your ears ;) )

I'm not going to try and persuade you to remove the resistor if you like it, but I assure you that it is not needed for the function of the bass cut. It is simply a load placed across output and ground, and may have a slight effect on the treble and resonant peak as you roll back the volume and/or bass cut pot, but it does not play any role in the bass cut circuit. No more effect than putting an additional 1meg resistor across the input of your amp would anyway.

And as to Jonesy's suggestions of values differing so greatly from what you've arrived at and I've suggested, I will say this - I've not seen a mod where results vary nearly so wide from one amp to the next as a bass cut circuit. Not just tube amp vs solid state, or pedal board vs direct to amp, but even between different tube amps or different pedals and settings. I can't tell you why it is, but a cap in series with your pickup seems to deliver drastically different results when run in to different amps. I've set up some bass cut circuits where I could barely hear any effect on bass through one amp, quite noticeable through another, then absolutely huge through yet another. Why does it work this way, I don't know, but the difference in suggested values may stem from the amps we're running in to.

StandingWave

Reaction score
And as to Jonesy's suggestions of values differing so greatly from what you've arrived at and I've suggested, I will say this - I've not seen a mod where results vary nearly so wide from one amp to the next as a bass cut circuit. Not just tube amp vs solid state, or pedal board vs direct to amp, but even between different tube amps or different pedals and settings. I can't tell you why it is, but a cap in series with your pickup seems to deliver drastically different results when run in to different amps. I've set up some bass cut circuits where I could barely hear any effect on bass through one amp, quite noticeable through another, then absolutely huge through yet another. Why does it work this way, I don't know, but the difference in suggested values may stem from the amps we're running in to.

Thanks for posting this. I was nearly ready to try Jonesy's mod due to a very dark neck pickup. Your observations are most likely due to varying input impedances interacting with the passive mod. Voicing the mod for use directly into a buffer might be a way to go, but would rely on the continued use of a buffer for consistency.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with Jonesy a .010 or .015 would have been a good choice.

vincenz

Reaction score
Here's an update of my current custom wiring.
- I replaced the 2 pot-to-switch and the switch-to-jack wires by some good silver/teflon ones (bought from Jonesy bay shop, thank you man for this very good stuff :thumb:). Hard to hear the difference, however it seems not to sound worst :p
- I replaced the bridge tone pot by a switched pot (audio taper * ).
When pushed, a .015 "woman tone" cap is wired to the bridge pup tone and the treble bleed is engaged on the neck pup volume.
When pulled, .022 tone cap for bridge, no treble bleed for neck. Like this it is a typical '50s wiring config (exepte for the neck tone pot, which needs to be setted on 10).

(*) yes David Collins you where right, a 500k audio taper is needed for tone (but for my special bass-cut tone circtuit, only a 1M linear is working)

here's a pick of this bizarre wiring

alternative_wiring1.jpg

Latest Threads