Alnico magnets...

dasherf17

Reaction score
Happy Friday!
have a whole heap-o' humbuckers (about half a dozen or so)...
I have heard of the Alnico 2 and 5 magnet (and all the other numbered Alnicos), used extensively in pickups...read extensively on the subject as well.
My question is: how does one tell before hearing which is which? Is there a measurement for them?

Roxy13

Reaction score
I think so but you need a guass meter and that's about as much as I know, sorry!

dasherf17

Reaction score
I think so but you need a guass meter and that's about as much as I know, sorry!
Hiya, Roxy! That sounds familiar (haven't "studied" magnetic business in awhile, never giving measurements a thought)... I wasn't sure if the 5s gave a bigger resistance than a 2 or as you mentioned another type of measurement was necessary.
Thanks for the input, Roxy!

Roxy13

Reaction score
Hiya, Roxy! That sounds familiar (haven't "studied" magnetic business in awhile, never giving measurements a thought)... I wasn't sure if the 5s gave a bigger resistance than a 2 or as you mentioned another type of measurement was necessary.
Thanks for the input, Roxy!
James from ReWind could probably help you with that. I don't plan on ever winding my own pickups.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Count how many pickle slices there are.

dasherf17

Reaction score
James from ReWind could probably help you with that. I don't plan on ever winding my own pickups.
Oh, no-no-no....in my case, I'd have a bird's nest...just interested as to what's in some of my random pickups, although from what I read the 2s were used in '57-'59 PAFs, but in aftermarket pickups, as some I have, those are the ones I'm looking at.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. :hippie: I have quite a few vintage humbuckers. I have wondered about magnets and this thread will be helpful.

dasherf17

Reaction score
I'm sorry. :hippie: I have quite a few vintage humbuckers. I have wondered about magnets and this thread will be helpful.
No worries, fett! (That was my "ho, noooo" or "DOH" look...you noticed I "like"'d the post...)
Yeah I'm not sure I'm the only one to think of it...since I learned of the Greeny/Moore/Hammett flip it got me "wonderin"...

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda nervous. I'm in the Adult Section and not The Backstage. I have to remember that.

Ripthorn

Reaction score
The best way to determine what is in them is to go to manufacturer specs and look it up. Otherwise, it's very hard to tell. Magnetic gauss is one measurement, but there is also how the field forms as well. Take, for example, alnico 5 vs unoriented alnico 5. What I tend to do is buy a couple of each grade I'm interested, write on them with permanent marker, then swap around as needed.

dasherf17

Reaction score
I spend my life on The Backstage. I tend to joke around a bit. I have rarely ventured to the other forums where serious matters are discussed. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge.
Boba...Humor...hmm...wouldn't know about that one...(KIDDING!) :hyper: :hmm::eek:o_O:naughty::welcome:
Keep comin' over! Good stuff here (no matter WHAT my kid says...)! Good people, too!

The best way to determine what is in them is to go to manufacturer specs and look it up. Otherwise, it's very hard to tell. Magnetic gauss is one measurement, but there is also how the field forms as well. Take, for example, alnico 5 vs unoriented alnico 5. What I tend to do is buy a couple of each grade I'm interested, write on them with permanent marker, then swap around as needed.
rip...great advice, thanks! I read that 2s are not as strong sounding as 5s (not to cut-down the tone, which is actually what I'm after). Sounds like another great experimentation day...stay tuned...

pavel

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious, how could you tell by measuring with a Gauss meter? Magnetize them to saturation and see which takes a stronger charge?

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spend my life on The Backstage. I tend to joke around a bit. I have rarely ventured to the other forums where serious matters are discussed. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge.
doesn’t mean you can’t joke around. Hell if I couldn’t joke around I wouldn’t hang here at all :)

Latest Threads