A4 720
A5 640
A2 560
A3 480

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
This is just NOT true.

If you provide me with an e-mail address (PM me if you so wish), I'll send you an Excel file from the italian magnet factory I've dealt with in the past with the AlNiCo grades they make (they make'em all but UnOriented A5), so you can see the differences for yourself.

HTH,

kink56 at hotmail dot com

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's so hard to know what's going on with this stuff if you're not charging the magnets yourself. I've got quite a few magnets that I've been trying in different pickups, but I have no way of knowing how fully charged they are.

Rod's info would seem to be good, in that of the magnets I've got lying about the A3s feel weakest in terms of pulling them apart from one another - but don't necessarily seem that weak in a guitar. Definitely a more complicated omelette than just looking at the specs or seeing how strong the magnets are in terms of gauss or coercive force IMO.

Liam

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
Liam I agree, try stacking two A5s and the try pulling them apart! You have to slide the things to get them to come apart.

The specs also tell you how much they are resistant to outside forces. Some formulas are more stable than others. I magnetize my own by the way.

Juan7fernandez

Reaction score
Well since we are talking about his now, I'm gonna ask this question that popped in to my head the other day. I already know that magnets will lose magnetism over time when the magnetic field around the Pickup is disturbed (by the strings vibration and other contributing elements ). So will that make a magnet that started out as an A5 to something closer to a A2? or is a vintage (demagnetized) A5 a completely different thing from a A2 A3 or A4?

captcoolaid

Reaction score
No typically Alnico mags will only lose 5% over 100 years or so. And the make up of the different mags keeps it an A5.

CL-10

Reaction score
hello mintcobra. I switched out the magnets in 2 sets of Throbak pups I have. They started off with A-5's. I got some un-oriented A-5's later on from Jon and tried them. I liked the Un-oriented A-5's over the regular A-5's in that they had a little less edge to them (slightly warmer one might say). But for my style of playing, I liked the pups I had put A-4's in a little better, so -- I put a set of A-4's in these to see, and to me , it was a better choice for my playing style. The A-4's just seem to make notes sing and sparkle throughout the whole range. It's hard to explain - but the highs just seemed perfect, no shrillness - just a sparlke and sizzle to them. There were more mids than with either of the A-5 choices, and the bottom end was still very articulate and warm. Like Skatterbrane said, It does depend on the guitar, and also ones playing style. I think the A-4 would not be as good a choice as the A-5 for metal or high processed playing. I play Blues and classic rock thru an old 69 Plexi, a '72 SuperBass, a "74 Superlead, a 65 Bassman, and a Peavy Classic 30

mintcobra

Reaction score
Did the swap today. I prefer the A4s, the A2 was just too round in the neck, and the Unoriented A5 lost the great articulation and touch-sensitivity that the A4 had in the bridge.

Oh well, magnets are cheap, and I'll probably have a pickup someday that calls for one of them.

Speaking of which, I'm picking up a Duncan JB this weekend and was wondering what people thought of it with any of the magnets I have (A2, A4, unoriented A5, and ceramic).

CL-10

Reaction score
I used to have a JB- I think they are fairly hot wound with 43 guage wire, but I don't remember what magnet they have in them. I gues it could be looked up on the S.D. web site easy enough. If it is ceramic, I'd start off trying an A-5 or an unoriened A-5

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Okay I will say it again change the bridge mag to a A8 and you will be amazed.

Saiko

Reaction score
I used to have a JB- I think they are fairly hot wound with 43 guage wire, but I don't remember what magnet they have in them. I gues it could be looked up on the S.D. web site easy enough. If it is ceramic, I'd start off trying an A-5 or an unoriened A-5

They have A5 magnets. I'd try the unoriented A5 in a JB if you find it a little harsh but don't want to lose it's bite.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Do the A8 mod it opens up the pup I am telling ya. I suggested it to a few members here and they love it.

Latest Threads