Alnico classic pup thoughts?

Blazerscope

Reaction score
I have Gibson 57 classics on one Paul, Probuckers on the other two...and love the sound of them all. But...my Epi SG g400 has the Alnico Classic and Classic Plus...these seem to be missing that extra "something" of the other pups. What do you think?

rem22

Reaction score
I have Gibson 57 classics on one Paul, Probuckers on the other two...and love the sound of them all. But...my Epi SG g400 has the Alnico Classic and Classic Plus...these seem to be missing that extra "something" of the other pups. What do you think?

hi,

what people think doesn't matter.
if you won't like them, just replace them ! And the wiring, if not already done.

nprenger

Reaction score
I had some nice woody tones coming from the Alnico Classics in my G400 before I replaced them with P90s, which had been the plan all along. Try adjusting pickup heights and pole pieces first. If that doesn't work, maybe try rewiring, which will make your guitar sound better no matter which pickups you end up with. If you're still not satisfied, then maybe look into a different set of pickups.

Tru-Blu

Reaction score
I'll second Nprenger's advice - adjust pickup and/or pole piece heights first, then go to new wiring if necessary. Chances are, you'll be satisfied without having to change the pickups.

DuffB

Reaction score
I don't think the Classics compare to the Probuckers by any means.

The Probuckers are really nice, comparatively speaking. In my opinion and that of countless others that is.

I have Classics in a couple SG's though, that really should be replaced, in my opinion. But I have a Gibson SG Standard heritage cherry that I like better probably because of the Gibson 490/498 pickups.

gsmacleod

Reaction score
I've had good luck with them in a few guitars - usually takes some playing around with pickup height and then the poles to get what I'm after but can usually get a pretty solid tone out of them.

YMMV and although serviceable, I'd never call them great.

Shane

sasquatch

Reaction score
Pulled like pork
done
outta there

season it with something good and the tone will taste real sweet

Perrygoround

Reaction score
I did not like them on my Epi LP Standard.
Probuckers, on the other hand, were great for me.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Can't vouch for the regular Classics but the Classic Pro in my TP sounds pretty good after adjusting it.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find them a bit muddy.
The newer Alnico Pro and Probuckers are - in my opinion - far better than the old Alnico Classics.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
+1

Important distinction to make. I have an Alnico Classic PRO and a ProBucker in my LP. Confusing marketing from Epiphone!

The Sound of Innovation: Introducing Epiphone's Premier Pickups
Yeah I have no experience with the older Alnico Classics but the ANCPros I've heard are great, bright, slightly hot pickups. I prefer them to Probuckers, mostly. But I'll still take all my various GFS models over either (Vintage 59, Slick Old School, Retrotron Memphis, Little Crunchy Mini Humbuckers). The Vintage 59s are closest to the sound of ANCPros to me, the Slick Old School are close, but much better to my ear, than Probuckers.

The good news is good pickups, with a wide variety of choices are available to try out!

Latest Threads