Alnico Classic pickup opinions?

Monster

Reaction score
Obvious a pretty ubiquitous pickup in Epi-land. Anybody ever decide they really like these and leave 'em in? How do you rate these compared to other pickups, and what are the strengths/weakness of these tonally?

Phildog

Reaction score
The stock Epi pups, to me, aren't bad at all. Actually, I think they're a tad too hot for my taste, but once again, that's JUST MY OPINION. That being said, I opted to swap them out for a set of GFS Vintage 59's. Those, too, are Alnico magnets. But I really like them because they have more of that vintage sound, that to me, the stock ones don't have.

But I must emphasize that I didn't really know how good the stock pups sounded. That is, until I upgraded the guts with vintage, single strand wire...CTS 500K audio taper pots....022 Sprague Vitamin Q PIO caps, Switchcraft toggle switch and jack. Then I was able to determine that the pups weren't for me. But they are not bad at all!

kiwi

Reaction score
you can see it from the price in my area: $12 for a pair epi stock pups

Phildog

Reaction score
you can see it from the price in my area: $12 for a pair epi stock pups
Keep in mind that the low price tag may, very well, reflect the user judging the sound of them while using the stock harness. THAT IS WHAT REALLY SUX, to me anyway. Give them a good platform before you cast judgement. You MAY be surprised by what you hear.

kiwi

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the low price tag may, very well, reflect the user judging the sound of them while using the stock harness. THAT IS WHAT REALLY SUX, to me anyway. Give them a good platform before you cast judgement. You MAY be surprised by what you hear.
well, i think you mean “a good amp & pedal”by saying“Give them a good platform”, am i rite?
if so,you can get a much more great tone from a better pups ,say SD JB4,in the same condition.
The conclusion can just draw: the stock pups ain't that bad, but they're not so good.
BTW, I mention the price is just a reflection for that. YOU ARE RITE, IT IS NOT RITE TO JUDGE SOMETHING BY ITS PRICE.

Phildog

Reaction score
well, i think you mean “a good amp & pedal”by saying“Give them a good platform”, am i rite?
if so,you can get a much more great tone from a better pups ,say SD JB4,in the same condition.
The conclusion can just draw: the stock pups ain't that bad, but they're not so good.
BTW, I mention the price is just a reflection for that. YOU ARE RITE, IT IS NOT RITE TO JUDGE SOMETHING BY ITS PRICE.
A good amp (TUBE!!! LOL) and pedal are always good, but when I said platform, I meant an upgraded harness with better caps, pots, wiring, jack, and switch. Believe me, it does wonders.

kiwi

Reaction score
A good amp (TUBE!!! LOL) and pedal are always good, but when I said platform, I meant an upgraded harness with better caps, pots, wiring, jack, and switch. Believe me, it does wonders.
you're rite, i learn it from others too.But how to do the job?
Is any DIY lessons?:)

Phildog

Reaction score
you're rite, i learn it from others too.But how to do the job?
Is any DIY lessons?:)
You can get all of the parts and assemble your own harness. Lots of guys here do it. Or, and this may be a better option for you NOW (until you feel more relaxed about DIY).

Get with Jonesy. He'll make you a harness with great components. He's a great guy and VERY knowledgeable! He'll explain any options...depending on the tone you're after and the type of music you play... or plan to play.

It will be a "drop in" meaning all you'll have to do is solder in your jack and toggle switch. He has clips on his website.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I found the stock 'Alnico Classic' humbuckers in my Epiphone to be rather muddy, farty, and with poor definition and clarity. Most especially on the neck pickup.

They're not awful, but they leave something to be desired, especially for lead work.

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
They are certainly "meaner sounding" than Burstbuckers and 57 classics, but not unpleasant. I think much of the criticism is too harsh and Elitist, reflecting a mind-set that anythig Epiphone is junk. I disagree. They are different sounding, but not bad at all for Rock in general. If you have a mindset that everything Epi is junk; then just spend the big money and get a gibson or PRS. But, for a reasonably priced Guitar with a set neck and full features, Epi is hard to beat...

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
They are certainly "meaner sounding" than Burstbuckers and 57 classics, but not unpleasant. I think much of the criticism is too harsh and Elitist, reflecting a mind-set that anythig Epiphone is junk. I disagree. They are different sounding, but not bad at all for Rock in general. If you have a mindset that everything Epi is junk; then just spend the big money and get a gibson or PRS. But, for a reasonably priced Guitar with a set neck and full features, Epi is hard to beat...

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If I thought it was junk I wouldn't play it. But in a band setting with other guitars, bass, drums, the stock pickups don't hold up all that well.

I suppose it also depends on your playing style and what you expect out of the pickups. I think for AC/DC Led Zeppelin type stuff they'd probably be alright. For punchier more technical stuff like say, Megadeth, they really don't cut it.

It's not elitist to have a discerning ear. If you're doing a fast run down the neck and strings and your notes turn to mush when you get on the bottom 2 strings that's hard to ignore.

budg

Reaction score
If I thought it was junk I wouldn't play it. But in a band setting with other guitars, bass, drums, the stock pickups don't hold up all that well.

I suppose it also depends on your playing style and what you expect out of the pickups. I think for AC/DC Led Zeppelin type stuff they'd probably be alright. For punchier more technical stuff like say, Megadeth, they really don't cut it.

It's not elitist to have a discerning ear. If you're doing a fast run down the neck and strings and your notes turn to mush when you get on the bottom 2 strings that's hard to ignore.
I tend to agree with this.The thing I notice with my epi vs my Studio Deluxe (or any cheaper vs higher end pickups) is the notes tend to run together if you play a faster run or arpeggiate a chord.The higher end pickups are a bit crisper sounding and more articulate .They tend to cut thru the mix better too.Some of that is the quality of the amp or pedals , but I can tell the difference with the same setup.JMO.

56Bluesboy

Reaction score
They are serviceable and usable at best, but changing the pots and caps and pickups out is usually the first mod most folks do. I will say that the current stock Epi Standards with full sized pots instead of the old mini pots that the older Epi Pauls came with, sound a little bit better imo. However some people are just fine with the stock electronics.

Phildog

Reaction score
I agree with you 56Bluesboy. They just weren't for me. But that's n ot to say they're bad. But I'd like to know how many of those who claim they're "muddy, farty", etc have tried them with upgraded pots and caps.

SoManyGuitars

Reaction score
It's hard to find a pickup that makes an Epiphone sound good... In my opinion/experience tone originates in the wood/body... But they're good for the money.

Monster

Reaction score
Finally got my Epi LP electronics working well enough to check out the pickups, and I'll have to say I'm kind of impressed. These really aren't bad sounding pickups at all. I can see why they get described as "farty, muffled, etc.", but I think they work well to give the user a taste of a thick, PAF style Les Paul growl for low money. Mine are probably moving to a cheaper guitar to make room for something nicer. I did see one YouTube video with a guy describing how he upgraded his Epi for no money - one of his mods was to take the covers off the stock pickups, warm them up with a hairdryer, and scrape off most of the wax. Kinda tempted to give that a try, although I really am a "cover on" guy most of the time.

Latest Threads