Almost time for a new recording computer Mac or PC?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I think that both PCs and Apple computers will do what you want. But for security, I will put a Mac up against any PC. No viruses on macs since the internet began; been using them all this time without any security software.

redking

Reaction score
I think that both PCs and Apple computers will do what you want. But for security, I will put a Mac up against any PC. No viruses on macs since the internet began; been using them all this time without any security software.
I assume you mean "you" have not had any viruses on your macs. There is plenty of malware that will infect a mac.

decoy205

Reaction score
Great responses so far. I feel like PCs are coming a long way but man I’d have to get or redowload all my software.
@Freddy G are you running Cubase? Can you talk A bit about your home setup, computer software etc?

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
I’m using a 2015-ish iMac and the main thing I needed to do was upgrade the HDD to a SSD and now it’s plenty fast enough.

For the Mac Pro? I’d put the OS and Applications on an internal SSD and then have a big HDD or external FireWire/USB/Thunderbolt RAID array for recording the tracks to. Should be plenty fast enough.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Sounds like you may only just be missing out on latest OS compatibility on that 2013 Mac Pro:

“Late 2013” Mac Pro or later models are supported on Catalina.

I’ve been holding off upgrading my iMac as neither Guitar Rig or AmpliTube supported Catalina but I see AmpliTube is now saying it’s okay as of late November (v4.9) so will probably update it now

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great responses so far. I feel like PCs are coming a long way but man I’d have to get or redowload all my software.
@Freddy G are you running Cubase? Can you talk A bit about your home setup, computer software etc?
I'm using Cubase 5 on a PC. My go to plug-ins are Waves, Altiverb and Ozone. I try to use as much hardware as possible....years ago when I started recording and mixing with computer audio (I cut my teeth in the analogue days on tape) I felt it was great that all I needed was to get a decent mic pre'd signal in and then I could tweak to my heart's content with total recall in the DAW. But eventually I realized that this was really an albatross for me. Gone was the instinct of committing, the first impression .....thinking yeah that sounds good and writing it in stone by way of printing the processing. Time is actually my enemy....I find if I can tweak and tweak and tweak I lose that first impression, that gut instinct that told me "this is good".

For a run down on my humble home studio you can see it here....
I subscribe to Warren Huart's "Produce Like A Pro" YouTube channel. When he asked everyone to submit pics or video of their home studio set-ups I did and was tickled to see that he included it in his video. Mine is the first one featured.

yeti

Reaction score
... But eventually I realized that this was really an albatross for me. Gone was the instinct of committing, the first impression .....thinking yeah that sounds good and writing it in stone by way of printing the processing. Time is actually my enemy....I find if I can tweak and tweak and tweak I lose that first impression, that gut instinct that told me "this is good".
Interesting perspective and there's a lot of truth and wisdom here.
My take on this is that you can still follow that instinct but not with every plug-in. Nothing against this particular company but I used Waves for years and years and always was amazed how much time I spent re-tweaking everything because I never got that visceral experience of dialing it in quickly the first time knowing it'll still work when I come back to it later.
For me that is the only way I now evaluate plug-ins. I landed on mostly McDSP stuff and it has sped up my workflow, cutting mixing time in half or more. The only things I re-tweak now are dynamic automation for some parameters on problem spots but I don't even recall the last time I went back to re-EQ something late in the mix, that thing used to be commonplace before and very uninspiring, sucking all the joy and spontaneity out of the process. It just doesn't happen much anymore because i have the tools that allow me to commit and get it right the first time. I'm sure Waves will do fine in the same regard for many people but if you're finding yourself lost in never-ending tweak-loops, try different tools and commit quickly.
It worked for me.

Last edited:

decoy205

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I really do appreciate everyone’s views.

Re: the never ending tweaking. For those of us who don’t have the amazing skill of being able to build our hardware or afford really good outboard gear how I’ve gotten around the “mix it later” tweak issue is what one of my recording mentors tricks. I set up the plug ins as an input AUX channel before the Audio track so I can filter the tone going in. So if I want to add tube warmth, or eq and compression or something like that it forces me to commit to a nice base tone. It’s made mixing so much easier. I don’t have as much experience as you both but in the 8 years I ran my basic set up one of the most important things I learned was really getting the sound right on the way in.

I also apply this thinking to guitar set ups. Things like AXE fix and Kemper scare me haha. So many options!!! I find myself going back to just good core tones.

decoy205

Reaction score
Also I wish they still made the. D5s. I really would love a pair.

yeti

Reaction score
I also apply this thinking to guitar set ups. Things like AXE fix and Kemper scare me haha. So many options!!! I find myself going back to just good core tones.
I can relate to that, I personally NEVER re-amp anything that I play, because the same rules apply. The amp is part of the electric guitar as a whole instrument. Get a sound you want going in and stick with it. Your playing will depend and reflect the sound and feel of your rig at the time of recording, you're creating a record of that moment. Why switch out the sound that inspired you to play the way you did.
Plus DI boxes really f@#k up the interaction between passive pickups, volume and tone control and the amps' input impedance.

LPSGME

Reaction score
I'm still use a 2012 Mac Mini i7 with a high end SSD; and it always does the job. It has more plugins than I would care to count. But I mostly use just a few that I like (IK Multimedia; Audio-Acustica; UAD and Softube) and randomly (maybe) pick a couple more from the rest for the sake of variation. If I really need analog then I just run the mix though a 1073 or V72 pre and/or print it to real tape. But a great and always useful plugin for quick tweaks to vocals is Waves JJP Vocals. Now on sale for $29. Whether using a $10K microphone or a $1.5K - it truly makes life much easier.

rialcnis

Reaction score
My next computer will be an Origin PC workstation, to replace my souped up Alienware x58

Worth every penny especially the max warranty.

Last edited: