Almost time for a new recording computer Mac or PC?

decoy205

Reaction score
I’ve been using my bro’s Mac Pro since about 2013 and before that I used a 2005 G5 tower.

The Mac Pro is starting to really slow down and become unreliable and I can’t really update the software anymore since the hardware is old.

I love the interface and usability of the MacOS and I’m used to it. But man they are sooooo expensive and basically you’re lucky to get a few years out of it until they software you out.

I used to run pro tools LE but the new pro tools is so expensive I don’t even want to deal with subscriptions. Ive been using Reaper and actually getting a little better with it. I’m open to trying new DAWs as well.

I’m thinking either a Mac laptop or a suped up PC or laptop.

I’d prefer to spend less than 2k when the time comes. Just curious what people recommend these days

Apple
pros - ease of use, software compatibility

Cons - expensive, software updates become expensive also and they eventually make the machine obsolete.

Pc

pros - cheaper, easier to make a custom machine, if it dies cheaper to replace

cons- more susceptible to viruses or malware, hardware is not as long lasting, not as familiar with using DAWs on PCs.

TLDR - Mac or PC and why?

Pappy58

Reaction score
I'd go Mac...if it's slowing down scratch and reinstall the OS...I've never had a mac not last 8-10 years...Garage Band is free and as good as any recording software out there.,...and WINBLOWS!

decoy205

Reaction score
The ones I’ve been using I got about the same 8-10 years. I’m worried about them updating the OS So much that my stuff is not compatible faster than that. If I can still get at least 5 years than Mac is still the way to go.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
how can you update the OS? I can’t even update google chrome or drop box on mine from 2009.
I have a good Mac tech. He knows how to trick the hardware to run the new OS. Admittedly, this has a SS hard drive and a new battery. Regardless, for $400 used, this machine does all I want and more. Like Pappy, I just use GarageBand, but I also added the Two Notes Wall of Sound plugin for the cab sims and that REALLY improved my tonal options.

decoy205

Reaction score
I have a good Mac tech. He knows how to trick the hardware to run the new OS. Admittedly, this has a SS hard drive and a new battery. Regardless, for $400 used, this machine does all I want and more. Like Pappy, I just use GarageBand, but I also added the Two Notes Wall of Sound plugin for the cab sims and that REALLY improved my tonal options.
Ah gotcha. I’m running 10.6 on the Mac Pro and I had to replace the video card once. (Was not easy to even get one of those). Im going to try defragmenting and hopefully that will help.

I have the torpedo live and use the remote with it but ironically when I tried to run WOS with it that actually kept giving kernel panic crashes. Works fine with the included torpedo remote but the WOS can do blends. Dunno if it has anything to do with that but just seemed to crash when I was using it.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Ah gotcha. I’m running 10.6 on the Mac Pro and I had to replace the video card once. (Was not easy to even get one of those). Im going to try defragmenting and hopefully that will help.

I have the torpedo live and use the remote with it but ironically when I tried to run WOS with it that actually kept giving kernel panic crashes. Works fine with the included torpedo remote but the WOS can do blends. Dunno if it has anything to do with that but just seemed to crash when I was using it.
Nice! I assume that sort of makes the WoS superfluous to your needs. I have a simple Torpedo Captor, which on its own, only has analog cab sim (which I think sounds pretty damn good in rehearsal). I only use WoS for when I'm practising at home.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OK I'll say PC. Your Pro on PC are right the con's well that's depend on where you buy your hardware Virus and Malware as long as you have the latest and best of those along with firewall protection and don't go sites that have any of that you are good.

As for DAW working on PC yes they do work on PC just as well as with a MAC computer.

decoy205

Reaction score
Ha, should’ve made this a poll. So far Mac still seems like the default for music production.

The WOS is a little different than the Torpedo remote. With WOS I can run stereo cabs. Unless I’m missing something with the remote settings. The captor is great. It came out right after I got the live. I def love the live though. I can blast my Friedman or 5150 and not make anyone mad.

What DAW is everyone running? Maybe I’ll do a poll. On that!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Ha, should’ve made this a poll. So far Mac still seems like the default for music production.

The WOS is a little different than the Torpedo remote. With WOS I can run stereo cabs. Unless I’m missing something with the remote settings. The captor is great. It came out right after I got the live. I def love the live though. I can blast my Friedman or 5150 and not make anyone mad.

What DAW is everyone running? Maybe I’ll do a poll. On that!
I would not classify myself as someone who uses this kit for recording. It's merely a means to hear my rig. FWIW, I use GarageBand.

I haven't tried the stereo cabs, but it does look neat.

Captngeetch

Reaction score
I currently use a Mid 2010 Mac Pro 2x 2.66Ghz w/12 cores total, 32gb Ram. Running Seirra but it's hounding me to upgrade to Mojave...I've been resisting only because it's running flawlessly. Record with current ver Pro Tools and occational Waveform 10 (fmly Tracktion). Have 2 - 1TB HDD, 256gb SSD installed (OSx on the SSD). I usually record to my external FW800 1TB drive though. I ZERO issues working with large track projects. Largest I have worked with so far is 128 tracks, zero frozen and tons of pluggins, both on tracks and as sends and have no latency issues at all. Before this one, I had a 2009 Mac Pro single 2.26ghz w/24gb ram and she ran almost as well as the dual CPU. Prior to that I ran a Mac Mini..still have it actually. It was a Core2Duo w/8gb ram and topped out around 8 tracks w/o having to freeze.

I also have a Windows box setup for recording. It's an i8 Ryzen 3.7Ghz with 16gb Ram and 2 - 500gb hdd's running Windows 10 and it bogs down after around 16 tracks. I have to freeze tracks to work on it..it's now just collecting dust..I had inherited it, so wanted to see how she would do...it wasn't good. Plus I find Windows loads everything at a crawl when compared to the Mac.

IMO, a Mac Pro is the best choice for recording. It doesn't need to be the overpriced new ones..Mid 2010 and up. I got the box I am currently using for $650 and it's worth every penny IMO. Only thing I added was a USB 3 card so I can plug in everything I have USB separately (keyboard,mouse, Control surface, Midi keyboard, Electronic Drum Kit, Audio Interface, iLok Key).

Hope this helps..

Deek

Reaction score
I have had many Macs going back to the 1908s. I have also had PCs and even a couple Amigas back in the day. I will always prefer Mac for usability and music. However, I agree the prices are absurd. In addition used Macs within 4-5 years are so high priced, you might as well buy new. I think what is most important is not the drive or memory, but the processor. Any drive will access files fast enough these days. Memory is cheap. My 2009 iMac was choking on Logic plugins and my newer iMac (admittedly way too expensive) hardly breaks a sweat on CPU utilization. From this, the recommendation Captngeetch made for a used Mac Pro is well worth looking into. It should give you the kind of processor you need for many years to come. Look for multiple cores I think. I can't believe he got one for $650, but man, that is a great deal.

Also, agree 100% on the OS upgrade annoyance of Macs. It is fine for every day stuff, but not all our music software and hardware. I always stay one full version behind on my studio Mac. No way am I chancing Catalina until the next California whatever OS is out. Good luck!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
PC for all my music production. I'm using a 13 year old win 7 machine in my home studio. Rock solid. Booted the macs out of the pro studio....win 7 machine in there now too. Rock solid.

KP11520

Reaction score
PCs get some of their bad press because of lack of due diligence.

Most DAW software companies have approved platforms that have been tested to give rock solid performance. And guess what, it's never a rocket ship gaming platform. Do the research and follow a few suggestions and you'll have a great experience.

I too am running Win 7 on an older PC (64 bit) with Pro Tools 9 and still has NEVER given me a single hiccup.

I bought everything to build a nice platform a few years ago and PT changed their game with yearly subscriptions for their DAWs. That pissed me off and the parts are still unassembled. And now a bit behind the curve. I'll probably use it for video software instead.

As for the PT 9. Flawless. I don't load up 16 tracks simultaneously recording either. But have had 10 running while I used VIs and a midi controller keyboard perfectly. And staying in Win 7 allows me to keep my Midi Keyboard. No drivers after Win 7. And I like it!

More and more are using PCs quite successfully on the professional side as they're tired of paying the Pusher Man, after he already raped them the first time.

READ UP and you will find your way at a big savings, now and in the future. After Apple dead ended me with my PowerMac G5 after tricking it out, NEVER AGAIN. Forced Fork lift upgrade.

NOPE NOPE NOPE!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As for the PT 9. Flawless. I don't load up 16 tracks simultaneously recording either. But have had 10 running while I used VIs and a midi controller

Here's a project I'm running right now on that win 7 PC. 74 tracks of 24 bit audio....30% of them are stereo tracks. Loads and loads of plugins, automation and VSTi
And it plays back without a glitch every time.

passage screen shot.jpg