Almost sold my R7 but persistence paid off.

lovehifi

Reaction score
I had a Gibson R0 and sold it when I had a pet emergency come up. Great guitar and missed it. After finances were back in order and my dog had recovered I decided I wanted to buy another Historic but with a different flavor. Just to try something different. I always liked gold tops so bought a 2014 R7. Talk about changing flavors! Anyway setting it up was a chore in itself. I was so use to the R0 neck and playability, not to mention its tone and Burstbucker pickups so I had a hard time getting everything to come together on the R7. To the point of thinking about selling it. Well I finally got the action set up and along with the neck relief I like. It now played great! However the Custombuckers were giving me a fit. Could not find that sweet spot. Height adjustments! Pole adjustments! Just could not get there. I was just going to buy a set of Burstbuckers and switch them out. This morning I decided to fire the Friedman BE-50 up and give it one last try and there it was! I finally found the sweetspots on both the neck and bridge pickups. These Custombuckers sound fantastic! I almsot made two mistakes. One I almost sold the R7 and two I almost swapped out the Custombuckers. When I took this used R7 out of the packing box there was no instant love or bond except in appearance. I had to work for that bond and glad I did. Very happy with it.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Yes you've got to live with a guitar for a while to make a 'keeper' or 'seller' decision.....mine take years as I've found.... I buy my LPs sight unplayed from the US. Have had 6 over the last 30 years and kept 2 a '13 R8 and '13 R6.

ONEHERO

Reaction score
It’s tough to settle with a guitar that becomes a love or hate affair..

SeasonOfPain

Reaction score
What were the magic pickup settings, and how did you dial them in differently this time (or was it simply you hadn't played it through the BE-50 before)?

Tomburst

Reaction score
Glad you took care of your dog. Yeah I really rate custombuckers I think they're great pups. Prefer them to BBs the custombuckers I've experienced seem quite organic with good clarity and I feel they bring out the tone of the wood in the guitar. Pickup height is very important and not to be underestimated

lovehifi

Reaction score
What were the magic pickup settings, and how did you dial them in differently this time (or was it simply you hadn't played it through the BE-50 before)?
I really do not think there was a magic setting but a combination of things. It is amazing how a little adjustment in pickup and pole height can mean hitting that sweet spot or not. Even a little more or less neck relief can make a big difference. I also think my ears had become so accustomed to the tone of burstbusters that I was looking for that tone. What I did in the end was just tried to forget about my previous R0, what it played like and how it sounded. I had a different animal now. I then played through the BE-50 clean channel until I got both pickups set up to what I thought sounded good. Then I went for the gain and everything sounded fantastic. Different to me but fantastic. I also quit playing my new R7 like I use to play my R0. Meaning how I attacked the strings including pinch harmonics. I adjusted my playing technique to my new guitar and pickups. I had my R0 with burstbusters for almost 10 years and my new R7 with customebuckers for only a week. Now everything has come together on my new guitar. Glad I did not give up on her.

Latest Threads