almost six months wait my replacement Murphy lab ‘59 factory burst shows up today

Mr.6 String

Reaction score
Thought I’d share this, I bought a factory burst ultra light relic ‘59 in March and the finish started flaking off, I know it well documented here and other sites that there was a problem with the pore filler, it was really hard sending the original back because it had a real sweetness when playing single notes that hypnotized me, it was unreal and unfortunately my replacement does not exhibit this sweetness but it is way more resonan, it really rings like a bell and sustains forever, the original weighed 8.6 lbs. and this one is 9.2lbs. I will say the top on this one is outstanding where is original was a tight blister burst this one is off the charts beautiful perfect angle chevron, the finishing checking is completely different from the original, this one has the random go everywhere crazing where the original was mosaic like and curling up like on an old house was old lead based paint, I have a ‘57 black beauty Murphy lab and the finish checking is pretty much the same, here are some pictures, the first is my original and the rest are of the replacement

Attachments

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i actually like both, but for completely different reasons, I do agree the new one has the eye candy edge. Great result.

jcourtjr

Reaction score
not a huge fan of the extreme angle on the chevron. the one on the left is a bit more authentic looking. but i like the color on the replacement more.

calieng

Reaction score
You waited 6 months for it? I got my replacements within a few weeks.

Well the new one looks nice anyway.

Was there any communication from Gibson during the long wait?

Mr.6 String

Reaction score
You waited 6 months for it? I got my replacements within a few weeks.

Well the new one looks nice anyway.

Was there any communication from Gibson during the long wait?
I emailed them a couple times a month, the original plan was to refinish but the binding ( nibs) got screwed up and it would of turned into a longer wait so I agreed on a replacement but I wanted pictures and weight before I would approve, it’s a strange trade off, the original sounded and played fantastic but this one is more resonant and rings like a bell, if this one had the sweetness in the single note lines I’d be in heave, I am happy with this one though, it has killer sustain and is a rock and roll machine!

calieng

Reaction score
Did they send you any photos to choose from different guitars? Were you dealing with Bob at Gibson?

I still have one in for replacement so just curious.

Thanks.

Mr.6 String

Reaction score
Did they send you any photos to choose from different guitars? Were you dealing with Bob at Gibson?

I still have one in for replacement so just curious.

Thanks.
Yes, they tried to match the original one top wise and came pretty close but there was something on each of them I didn’t like, I told them that I wanted something that was just as nice as my original and they sent me a few different possible replacements, this guitar was last last picture they sent and I picked it

calieng

Reaction score
Yes, they tried to match the original one top wise and came pretty close but there was something on each of them I didn’t like, I told them that I wanted something that was just as nice as my original and they sent me a few different possible replacements, this guitar was last last picture they sent and I picked it
Wow you got so much better service than I did. I got no communication. They just shipped a replacement without even letting me know anything.

Oh well they ended up getting it back so hopefully they will try harder this time.

I am glad it worked out for you even though it took way too long.

Mr.6 String

Reaction score
Thanks friends, I’m happy with the outcome, the guitar is definitely different then my original, the fretboard is more orange in color and the inlays are nicer and not as yellow also the pickguard on the new one has more of a yellow color to it, the guitar was put together differentl, I had to adjust the nut as it was too high also the fretboard had some residue that needed cleaning also the nylon not is as expertly shaped like the original, I’m a guitar repair person so I was able to correct most of the things mentioned here, another odd thing is the guitar is an ultra light relic so in theory there should be maybe on small ding here and there, this one has one ding on it and it’s on the side of the neck, of all places to put a ding, the the neck :( I’m debating a drop fill or just leave it alone

Attachments

Gfunk_Minor

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
not a huge fan of the extreme angle on the chevron. the one on the left is a bit more authentic looking. but i like the color on the replacement more.
Agreed!
I like the one on the left more as well.

Jorbissian

Reaction score
Thought I’d share this, I bought a factory burst ultra light relic ‘59 in March and the finish started flaking off, I know it well documented here and other sites that there was a problem with the pore filler, it was really hard sending the original back because it had a real sweetness when playing single notes that hypnotized me, it was unreal and unfortunately my replacement does not exhibit this sweetness but it is way more resonan, it really rings like a bell and sustains forever, the original weighed 8.6 lbs. and this one is 9.2lbs. I will say the top on this one is outstanding where is original was a tight blister burst this one is off the charts beautiful perfect angle chevron, the finishing checking is completely different from the original, this one has the random go everywhere crazing where the original was mosaic like and curling up like on an old house was old lead based paint, I have a ‘57 black beauty Murphy lab and the finish checking is pretty much the same, here are some pictures, the first is my original and the rest are of the replacement
Jees mate !
You scored well both times.
The first one was beautiful but the second is off the dial !
I know the feeling of once you play something & like it, it's then very hard to part with.
All the best with the current one mate.

Latest Threads