Almost scared to ask (1969 SG Custom Question)

axehandler

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 1969 White Custom SG, and everything appears original. The white paint on the neck extends over the binding. Is that normal for a 69 or is it a refinish? Also, the wiring harness pots are all from 1962 but look original.

I'll post some pics asap.

Thanks

zhivago

Reaction score
Not sure for a '69, but I have a '63 SG Custom and the paint does extend over the binding.

axehandler

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm having trouble with the pics (too big & won't load).

I was able to send detailed pics to a well known vintage dealer and he said that everything looked right. He also said the paint on the binding was common in the sixties. He had me put a black light on the guitar and it shows a blue/purple tint throughout with no breaks.

So, I'm now very confident that its all original. I will post pics when I work out the upload problem.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
The site has an upload limit. If you resize your pictures, you can upload them. Alternatively, use a free image upload service like Imgur.

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, the wiring harness pots are all from 1962 but look original.
Not sure for a '69, but I have a '63 SG Custom and the paint does extend over the binding.
Taken together OP might actually have something closer to a 63 himself.

I'm trying to imagine Gibson still having 7 year old pots around when they built it.

And it seems to be used as one of the better ways of dating guitars in here.....

The paint could be a sixties thing, but would also make more sense as a 63 thing in light of Zhivago's post.

axehandler

Reaction score
I think the nut is 1-5/8" so I think that rules out early sixties???

axehandler

Reaction score
I owned a 1972 SG when I was a kid that my dad bought me for $200. My older brother bought a les paul custom BB when I was 12, and I've been a LP nut ever since. I currently own eight Les Pauls including a 1953 & an early 68 GT. Over the the years I've owned a ton of LPs including a 1957 Custom and a 1959 Custom. I've even played an all original 1959 super flamey Burst. All my Les Pauls are & have been great guitars.

BUT, now I've found my soul mate guitar! I never knew what a monster these SGs truly are. Kudos to ALL
you SG owners!

Zeppelinguy685

Reaction score
Yes it's fine to have it over the binding. Look at it this way. If you were a bean counter at Gibson at the time (Norlin era), would you want to spend labor dollars on scraping white paint off a white binding?

61LPSG

Reaction score
I
BUT, now I've found my soul mate guitar! I never knew what a monster these SGs truly are. Kudos to ALL
you SG owners!
axehandler ,
Congrats, she looks great.

I love LP's, they are iconic, and tone machines... but so are SG's, I love 'em.
My 61/62 has the paint on the binding as do most of the early white ones I've seen.

jerry47

Premium Member
Reaction score
Beautiful SG custom,I always loved those white 3 pickup guitars, But i often wonder why some of the toggle switch rings are right on top of the pickguards and some are not? Anyone?

none2low

Reaction score
Congratulations!! Good to see it went to a forum member. I saw that on the local CL and emailed the seller, but wasn't quick enough. Enjoy it and play it in good health.

axehandler

Reaction score
Thanks. I was simply at the right place at the right time. I was a little cautious at first, but after contacting the owner I felt pretty good about the deal. We met in a neutral location, and everything went very smooth. The guy owned the guitar for 48 years and had bought it from his guitar teacher in 1971. He said that it had never been modified and had no breaks!

I told him that it was my soul-mate guitar, and he said that the guitar was his mistress for 48 years. We laughed and he compared the guitar to Marilyn Monroe. Now, I have never named a guitar, but this was just too perfect. I think of the famous picture of MM in her white dress. So the guitar has a name now!

axehandler

Reaction score
What were the changes from early to late 1969? I know they had 3 piece necks and lost the dot over the "i" on the headstock logo. Could the neck heel have changed?

Sharp

Reaction score
236C94AB-C215-4BDF-97E9-D3EBCAB9E9C6.jpeg
814473C3-B83B-4C47-BE81-BA2B44140B0F.jpeg

I like! Mine is a late ‘66, I believe. Been down the rabbit hole trying to date it. Mine doesn’t have the control cavity pan that yours does. Enjoy.