Almost certain fake lp but serial shows legit

lwchafin

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate your comments, I know it’s not real, in retrospect it was very dumb of me to pick it up, I’m just curious how they can make legit serials on these
Can they replicate a serial number? Yep, easily. It's really not hard to find LPs online that display the serial numbers in the photos, and similarly, it's not like serial numbers have a top secret security designation or anything. Plus, want a serial number? Walk into any guitar shop that sells Gibsons and you'll see them on the back of the headstock. Snap a few pics, and send them to your favorite guitar counterfeiter in China (Indonesia, etc. - take your pick) and you can buy that guitar off the internet for an incredible deal in a couple of months.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Especially considering that OP Rusty mcdangles himself hasn’t been here since post number 11.

I was kind of hoping for his return, and some more info.
Maybe the butt-hurt was overwhelming.

Peter M

Reaction score
It's pretty surprising that there are three pages dedicated to this ridiculous guitar.
Word. It's an egregiously laughable attempt at a Gibson LP and I really don't know how anyone could fall for it. Barnum knows though...

Becker34

Reaction score
there’s even been some so buried in lacquer that it’s borderline illegible..
Very much so. For years I thought my Black LPC was an '86 until I caught it in the right light or did a rubbing of the SN to learn it was an '85. The 5 looked like a 6.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on the finish like,..White, Black, Dark Brown or any color other than a clear or tinted lacquer can obscure and bury a pressed in wood serial number on Gibsons. Very common on Norlin finishes as they could be quite thick. In the mid 1970s Gibson used decals,..but they were used incorrectly and were often used on instruments that they were not meant for. Very unreliable for information like year correct dating.

Some people still believe that the Gibson serial provides the date a guitar was built. It only provides the day in which the neck was stamped. The neck isn't even attached to a body yet or have a finish applied. It could be several weeks away from being a completed instrument. A lot of pre-finish sanding can make the serial even more acceptable to being obscured by the finish. On some Norlins the "made in usa" impression often appears missing....though it is actually there.

Fake and counterfeit Gibsons are often too neat or cockeyed or paint filled. Always incorrect font.

zdoggie

Reaction score
It seems to me where ever there is a chance to scam money those assholes are thick and ready to take your money I very sorry for your dilema I can honestly say I've walked a mile in your shoes.

zdog

Adinol

Reaction score
Ya, I had no idea as they’ve made so many models over the years, and colors especially this one being from 06 according to the number, I honestly had no idea, lesson learned.
Well, no problem, actually.

The person that sold this fake just committed a federal felony. All you have to do is report it to the police and have him arrested. You have to tell the police that you will press charges, that you will come to court and that you will demand retribution.

msalama

Reaction score
Well, shit happens. Not the end of the world mate, just chalk it up to experience and move on. And keep it as a curio if it plays good!

msalama

Reaction score
three pages dedicated to this ridiculous guitar
Why wouldn't there be? An interesting case and an interesting guitar, fugazi or not.

dasherf17

Reaction score
Hey guys I got recently taken and picked up what I now know is highly likely a fake Les Paul, odd thing is the numbers show it’s real, my question is how good are these Chinese manufacturers that they can actually get a legit number . View attachment 561910
View attachment 561912
Just saw the a minute ago, probably been mentioned...if the copper knobs (red knots on some) and the Figsby weren't enough...hope you didn't spend an arm and a leg swapping...how's it sound/play?

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Should have come on here first before buying (easy to say, I know).

Yellow top.
Slotted bridge posts.
'Les Paul Standard' truss rod cover.
Imitation Bigsby.
Control knobs out of alignment.
Gash tuners.

All of the above, at least, would have been jumped on immediately by members...
Shape of the headstock. Green tuning buttons. Placement of the control knobs. The inlays.....

mr. rj

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea what pick ups are in these at a glance?
some of those chibby's come with real epiphone pickups, in that case you may consider yourself only partially lucky. Otherwise they come with hunks of plastic with wire wrapped around that plastic in the form of what looks like a pickup.

workerunit

Reaction score
Yep, you bought a fake. So how does it play and sound?

dasherf17

Reaction score
+1

Would love to know as well. Because if it's basically an OK guitar, why not keep it? I know I would!
If you're knowledgeable of setting up (I don't "know" everyone yet), it's a cheap "fix"...neck relief, fretwork, etc.), it'll play pretty well...check the orientation of the pickup magnets...they were reversed in one my brother has...flipped them around and it sounded like a whole different guitar. Not as thin.

dasherf17

Reaction score
That switch tip is not the right shape. That's a dead giveaway that the guitar is not a legitimate Gibson.

LOL, they strung the "Bigsby" wrong.
...if the knobs weren't the first eyecatcher...
Top's too flat for anything "standard"...

Latest Threads