Almost certain fake lp but serial shows legit

Zylo

Reaction score
hope you didnt pay thousands for this guitar...right?

Reactions: Who

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
People tend to focus on the serial number and totally overlook the fact that it was added AFTER it was finished.. big red flag.. Gibson stamps them prior.. there’s even been some so buried in lacquer that it’s borderline illegible.. that’s in addition to other tell tale signs that aren’t even subtle

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've read all the posts before posting.
Maybe you misunderstood my post.

The "1" pictured below is stamped using the correct font with the horizontal line at the bottom of the digit. The "1" on the fake is missing that line. That was the obvious digit that I was referring to.

Ah, gotcha now. Apologies.

By the way, if you come across other fakes, look out for the serial number beginning '02005' - Man, that was a busy day at the Chibson factory! :dude: :laugh2::applause:

Axe Arsenal

Reaction score
Ah, gotcha now. Apologies.

By the way, if you come across other fakes, look out for the serial number beginning '02005' - Man, that was a busy day at the Chibson factory! :dude: :laugh2::applause:
I actually came across a black Gibson Les Paul Custom with the serial number 02005560 about a year ago and the guy insisted that it was real although several people including me were pointing out the obvious tell signs. The guitar was in Belgium (were I live). Don't know what happened with it later on...

rjwilson37

Reaction score
How much did it cost you, did the seller state it was an actual Gibson Les Paul, not a fake?

I would think that you can go back to that person and get your money/acoustic back since he could get in trouble for fraud and such.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
When you say "the numbers show it's real", do you mean you contacted Gibson and their records show that S/N was stamped on a yellow Les Paul?

Or do you mean some dater site said that serial means it was the 376th guitar made on Tuesday June 20, 2006 in Nashville?

Anyone who understands the YdddYbRRR Gibson serial number format can make up a number that will fool the dater sites.

And anyone can find a pic on the web of a serial number from the year they're claiming it to be and use that number over and over and fool the dater sites.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, that serial number on the Fake LP for this thread is used a lot on Fake Gibson Les Paul's

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
… the serial number … was added AFTER it was finished.. big red flag.. Gibson stamps them prior.. there’s even been some so buried in lacquer that it’s borderline illegible..
I have an ES-335 built in 2002 that suffers from this malady. I wondered why the headstock would be so lightly or faintly stamped, but a buddy of mine pointed out the lacquer issue that you stated.
It’s a combination of both from what I can tell, but you have to have direct light to make out the serial number.

Also for the original poster, you will notice that in many Gibson guitar photographs the serial number will be purposefully obscured.
At least the final digits.
The first part of the number may show the manufacturing date to prove the age of the guitar, but the sequence or serial numbers on the tail end can be left off to prevent it from being actively copied onto counterfeits.

Leee

Reaction score
Oh, and sorry you got stung.
Caveat emptor, as they say.
Buyer beware.

It may be a little late in this instance, but you are in a forum with a lot of very knowledgeable people. With a little patience, you can get most any question answered to your satisfaction.

Leee

Reaction score
First thing I noticed in the thumbnail pics, besides a goofy imitation Bigsby, was the shape of the headstock.
It’s really wrong.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate your comments, I know it’s not real, in retrospect it was very dumb of me to pick it up, I’m just curious how they can make legit serials on these
Not hard to figure out Gibson's S/N format.

Which is why the GDP isn't a great resource for authentication. You can put in almost any random set of numbers, and it will say that they're "legit".

Leee

Reaction score
Hey Rusty,
Do you live in the USA?

Do you mind telling us more about where you got the guitar?

Your situation sucks, but you can do a service to the rest of the novice guitarists and aspiring Gibson owners in the world by helping them avoid the same trap.

Years ago I adopted the philosophy that if I can’t be a role model, I can still serve as an example.

:lol:

TheRoadToHull

Reaction score
I used to have a LP Standard with the s/n 00170423, indicating that it was built on Jan 17th, 2000 - but it wasn't!
I also found several other people whose LPS had the same s/n!

And the '335' which I still have is only 2 away!

DBDM

Reaction score
"even a broken clock is right twice per day". If you make a serial number using most random numbers, at some point it is likely Gibson has or will build it. throw in non-randomness (like starting with 2xxx1xxx and you will most certainly get a matching number with even a minor degree of effort.

DBDM

Reaction score
If the font used for the serial number is incorrect, then the guitar is more than likely a fake. Does not matter if the numbers are arranged in a legit order and format. That was the point I was trying to make.
I would correct this slightly and say "if the font is incorrect, it is FOR SURE a fake." For the uninitiated, also keep in mind that Gibson embosses the serial numbers (impresses them into the wood) where many fakes inscribe the serial numbers creating much "sharper" looking numbers. Only very very (very) rarely are Gibson's embossed numbers sharp and clear and NEVER as sharp as the ones on the OP's pictures. Exception is some or the Reissues where the serial number is inked on.

Last edited:

Latest Threads