Almost certain fake lp but serial shows legit

Rusty Mcdangles

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate your comments, I know it’s not real, in retrospect it was very dumb of me to pick it up, I’m just curious how they can make legit serials on these

Reactions: Who

gball

Reaction score
They have a computer with graphical web browser.
Yeah, I mean, its not hard to just copy a legit S/N. Almost certainly every one they cranked out had the same serial.
Too bad you got had on it - that one is really fake, surprised you didn't catch all the tells before buying.

Rusty Mcdangles

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean, its not hard to just copy a legit S/N. Almost certainly every one they cranked out had the same serial.
Too bad you got had on it - that one is really fake, surprised you didn't catch all the tells before buying.
Ya, I had no idea as they’ve made so many models over the years, and colors especially this one being from 06 according to the number, I honestly had no idea, lesson learned.

LCPG282

Reaction score
Hey guys I got recently taken and picked up what I now know is highly likely a fake Les Paul, odd thing is the numbers show it’s real, my question is how good are these Chinese manufacturers that they can actually get a legit number . View attachment 561910
View attachment 561912
Easy for them as for anyone, it's on the web.

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

Rusty Mcdangles

Reaction score
Hey! That's @cooljuk 's double-neck serial! :laugh2:

@Rusty Mcdangles , cooljuk is a member here and is a world class pickup maker. The pics below are from his site. Might be his EDS-1275 guitar, might be a customer's.

Sorry you got taken on your deal.

View attachment 561923
That’s actually quite funny, ya I got scammed, it’s funny but sad because I lost a nice acoustic for it

bum

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if this is off topic. I'm about to close the deal on a epi lp, but the guy seemed kinda sketchy. Just wondering if it's legit.
Post in this thread, there are some fine experts in there that will help you:

OP, so sorry you got stung, the pickups are probably crap, but knowing the usual chibson buyer 'This is a great guitar, I just need to swap out the pickups, wiring, tuners, bridge, nut and tailpiece' they could be anything.

This sucks and I genuinely feel for you man, this is why these things need to be destroyed, screw all the 'I'll never sell it as a fake' people, these do get out there and good folk do get stung.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Should have come on here first before buying (easy to say, I know).

Yellow top.
Slotted bridge posts.
'Les Paul Standard' truss rod cover.
Imitation Bigsby.
Control knobs out of alignment.
Gash tuners.

All of the above, at least, would have been jumped on immediately by members...

Gbrlmdea

Reaction score
It looks legit. It would be best if you cropped out the phone number before posting the pictures.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks! Just realized I left the phone number on, I'll delete the pictures

Reactions: Who

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
The numbers are not legit.
The font is incorrect.

The "1" is always the obvious digit.
Missing the horizontal line at the bottom.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Did you not read post #9 above...?
I've read all the posts before posting.
Maybe you misunderstood my post.

The "1" pictured below is stamped using the correct font with the horizontal line at the bottom of the digit. The "1" on the fake is missing that line. That was the obvious digit that I was referring to.

Many people will enter a serial number into one of the online serial number decoder sites and when it checks out, they assume it is legit because it happens to be in the correct format of YDDDYBPPP.

YY = Year
DDD = Day of Year
B = Batch Number
PPP = Production Rank Number

If the font used for the serial number is incorrect, then the guitar is more than likely a fake. Does not matter if the numbers are arranged in a legit order and format. That was the point I was trying to make.

Last edited:

Latest Threads