All who buy a guitar just for a nice neck, pick ups and electronics (not name brand) please post.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
It depends really, owning a Les Paul was a dream since my early teens when I started playing guitar and getting into rock and metal. So for me a LP and Explorer just had to be Gibson.

A lot of other types could be any brand as long as they are good obviously. My SG shaped guitar is a LTD Viper 256 and I love it.

Steven

Reaction score
Owning a Les Paul was also a dream of mine from the time I was very young on. I bought my first new guitar, a Les Paul Custom in 1982, and it's a decent sounding and playing guitar, however my inexpensive $250 guitars that I buy on blow-out sales sound as nice, play as nice and I have many less costly guitars that I would categorize as excellent guitars, and deals. Now I tend to wait for blow-outs to buy my guitars. Additionally I am 66 and although I should be thinning the herd of the many guitars I own, I love the thrill of buying or aquiring a guitar, and just wait for deals that are too good to pass up on. I have my share of the top brand, big name and high end guitars too. Age doesn't stop me from doing what I love.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I only own 3 lower end electric guitars in my collection that aren't Gibson, Fender, Anderson, Suhr, or PRS.

1) '76 Electra X-310 MPX LP style (with FX Modules in back of guitar)
2) '03 Epiphone "Elite" Les Paul Custom
3) '12 Epiphone Riviera Ltd. Ed. P93 Black Pearl Royale

I paid $250 for the Electra, $277 for the Epiphone Elite, and $350 for the Epiphone Riviera.

I picked these up because they offer something different from all the other guitars in my collection.

They sound and play great for what I paid for them.

I've gotten very picky about what lower end guitars I'll add to my collection, even if they're a steal.

I went down that rabbit hole about 6 yrs. ago, and had A LOT of money tied up in low-med. quality guitar "STEALS".

I sold off ALL of them, and I'll NEVER EVER go down that road again.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biz partner has an old Electra Lester that plays/sounds/looks as well as any Gib Lester I have ever wrapped hands on and I have and have had several…..

hbucker

Reaction score
I would never by a guitar just for the electronics - unless they were premium pickups and pots in a guitar that cost $50 (or something like that)...

I would absolutely consider purchasing a less expensive guitar because the neck feels great. Fretwork aside, frets would be a concern on that neck. Many/most cheap guitars tend to have pretty soft frets that wear quickly. But again, if the neck felt that good I could start overlooking fret problems a little bit more.

This is all hypothetical though. Haven't run into this situation quite yet. Although, I did buy a $27 unfinished blem neck from Guitar Fetish a few years back to put on a body that I built out of scrap wood. It's turned out to be a really nice feeling, functional neck but with multiple cosmetic flaws. - Don't really notice these while I'm playing it.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am going to be honest. Threads like this, tend to have one of two motivations behind them. One, confirmation of one's, own bias (and we have all done that), or two, to get some friction going between posters for entertainment value. Pretty sure, this is a case of the first, and that's fine.

Because, frankly, imho, there i nothing wrong with buying certain brands, or nothing wrong with buying 'premium' guitars or brands. THere is also nothing wrong with buying and making 'parts' casters, non big/premium name guitars, or buying 'bang for buck' guitars. It is perfectly okay to care on how a guitar looks as a primary concern, just like caring about it's neck, or over all feel. AND, it's okay to do all of the above, or any combination there-of. It's even okay to buy guitars just to collect, because you see beauty in the physical instrument.

It's YOUR money, your time, your preferences, your playing, your life. Have at it.

There are more important things to draw a line in the sand about, like cake or no cake.

Over the years I have bought guitars for any number of reasons. At first, I was into the budget, big bang for the buck guitars, looking for great fit and finish, for the dollar, that could be upgraded in the Pickups and electronics area. I had more than a few Agiles, Squiers, Epiphones etc. I have bought cheaper guitars, that someone put good or better pickups in, at prices for what said pickups would cost alone, or slightly more, just for the pickups. If the gutar turned up to be a player, added bonus,

I've had and have a partscaster, as well as a Fender Strat. I have Gibsons,currently as well. I have nothing more expensve than a Les Paul Classic. No, I don't believe in paying 3K for a guitar, and this is the important part, FOR ME. For me, where I am at as guitarist, the Classic, 60s Tribute, Special Ex and SG are good enough, fit me, work for me. But, for someone else, who wants that Historic, or Custom Shop, and it works for them. Happy NGD.

I also have a Squier Master Series M-80, that have ranged in value on the used market from less than a hundred to $350-450 right now, that I got for less than $75, and other than the TV Jones Classics I put in it, I have another $75 in replacement tuners, bridge, stop bar, pots, caps. I keep it and love it because, it feels and fits great to play, sounds fantastic with those TV Jones, looks great and unique.

Ultimately, different strokes for different folks, and that is cool. Heck different strokes for the same folk, or the same strokes for the same folk, is all cool as well.

Reactions: E.X

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's YOUR money, your time, your preferences, your playing, your life. Have at it.

There are more important things to draw a line in the sand about, like cake or no cake.

I think a moment of respectful silence is in order here....

:thumb:

msalama

Reaction score
IMG_0035.JPG

Sorry for the shitty pic quality, but this guitar rocks, period. It needed some setting up and adjusting out of the box, but is now every bit as good as any Tele I've ever owned - and yes, this includes a couple of 60's Fenders too, believe it or not. Just love the wide and flat neck with semi-jumbos on this bad, bad El Cheapo Cabronita, because it plays so frigging fast!

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I have 2 Yamahas, 2 Squiers, a Washburn, a Regal, a Takamine, an Alvarez, and an Epiphone. Also an Ampeg bass amp, a Silvertone guitar amp, a mountain dulcimer, an autoharp, a "Third Man Zither Junior", a harmonica, a kazoo, and a nose flute.

I have less $200 tied up in all of it.

Except for the student-grade Yammie classical, all are fit for gigging - if only I were (and, as I've said before, I have yet to find a 335 I'd trade even for my Sheraton).

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't dream of Martins, Guilds, Larrivées, Santa Cruzes, Alembics..........

Robert Corrington

Reaction score
I recently bought a Charvel Pro-Mod DK22 SSS 2PT CM. It's the best feeling guitar I've ever owned. It's light (7 lbs. 3 oz.) and perfectly balanced while standing or sitting. The slightly chunky caramelized maple neck with a slightly rounded fretboard feels like silk. The Seymour Duncans scream classic rock 'n roll.
I'm not a shredder. I never cared for the Charvel brand. Nevertheless, this is an amazing guitar and perfect for me. It's at the top of my "keepers list."
2969026500_gtr_frtangleleft_001_rr.png

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
Set neck or neck thru, you bet your ass I'm looking for a name brand if it isn't a private builder. Bolt on, oddly I've got no trouble there. Looking for a parts guitar currently, as a matter of fact. Just waiting to find the right ones.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, I do have three Carvin guitars of the same brand. And two PRS guitars. I guess I am an hoarder! And I am running out of space for my 13! /

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, I do have three Carvin guitars of the same brand. And two PRS guitars. I guess I am an hoarder! And I am running out of space for my 13! /
I've never tried a Carvin, came close a couple of times. Tried PRS several times, and they never clicked with me. Oh, I recognize they are fantastic instruments,. But, that is just it. YOu find them great and perfect for you, and I celebrate that. Rock on. But, does having 10 Electric, one travel electric and an acoustic make me a hoardr?

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is my philosophy to women these days.

I'm about the same way. My ideal woman looks like Christina Hendricks:

1629749290074.png

But if a woman with similar looks is dull-in-the-brains, I'm not really interested.

But a "plain-Jane" woman who thinks orbital mechanics is cool is simply a goddess to me!

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never tried a Carvin, came close a couple of times. Tried PRS several times, and they never clicked with me. Oh, I recognize they are fantastic instruments,. But, that is just it. YOu find them great and perfect for you, and I celebrate that. Rock on. But, does having 10 Electric, one travel electric and an acoustic make me a hoardr?

I would call you a collector! This is what GAS does.

TWANG

Reaction score
I've been very happy with my 91 sheraton. but... I also tried a harley benton 12 string this year.. and I tried a firefly 338. both of with I play a lot. They play fast and smooth and sound very good..much better than their price tags indicate. Of course, I had to change the pickguards on both. the 338 got locking tuners, straplocks, single coil pups, new knobs, roller bridge, tp6 type tailpiece. (everything chinese-cost 160 for guitar 100 for parts)

Attachments

• IMG_1824.JPG
    IMG_1824.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1825.JPG
    IMG_1825.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 3

frater106

Reaction score
View attachment 546153

Sorry for the shitty pic quality, but this guitar rocks, period. It needed some setting up and adjusting out of the box, but is now every bit as good as any Tele I've ever owned - and yes, this includes a couple of 60's Fenders too, believe it or not. Just love the wide and flat neck with semi-jumbos on this bad, bad El Cheapo Cabronita, because it plays so frigging fast!
Beautiful color!! Also, I like the neck. That's part of why I don't have a Fender/Squire-I'm not a fan of those small-radius narrow necks.

Latest Threads