All who buy a guitar just for a nice neck, pick ups and electronics (not name brand) please post.

Steven

Reaction score
After I bought my Gibsons and Fenders and other big name guitars when I was young I realized that there exist some fabulous no name electrics out there, and as I've aged I categorize guitars as "nice guitars" for the simple reason they ARE in fact nice guitars, I no longer buy for the brand name.

motowntom

Reaction score
I've been down the vintage/ "high end" rabbit hole (see my avatar), I currently have 10 guitars and basses, all play great and sound awesome..... I have no Gibson's or fenders, or "high end" guitars......BUT to each his own.
Cheers

Steven

Reaction score
I've been down the vintage/ "high end" rabbit hole (see my avatar), I currently have 10 guitars and basses, all play great and sound awesome..... I have no Gibson's or fenders, or "high end" guitars......BUT to each his own.
Cheers
Agreed, nice guitars don't need to have a popular or costly headstock name.

sonar1

Reaction score
My partscaster’s third neck was a big ol’ Warmoth.

I still buy the neck and the sound first. Hardly anything else matters to me.

Steven

Reaction score
My partscaster’s third neck was a big ol’ Warmoth.

I still buy the neck and the sound first. Hardly anything else matters to me.

I am pretty much the same way. I no longer concern myself with "looks", it's about sound and comfort when playing.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually place my hand around the neck the first thing when looking at a guitar. Because guitars all have their own sound, and I have a bunch, I rarely even plug them in before buying. I'm looking for how it feels when I hold it and strum it, and if it has been set up properly.

Aside from that, I mostly buy used and discontinued. I have no high end guitars, just a good mix of pickup types and body shapes.

LuckyDan

Reaction score
I like a good looking guitar. If it catches my eye, then I will look at the specs if shopping on line, or take it off the rack if I'm in a shop. But if the playability is there, and I'm not all that picky though like everyone I have my preferences, all other things being equal, I'll go for the best looking one.

endial

Reaction score
Epiphone Wilshire - Bought it for the neck.
Dillion Junior - Will never let it go. Fantastic neck. Killer guitar.
-Both under $250

Reverend Sensei Junior. Chunky neck with amazing tonal variations.

Others examples have come and gone, but it's very often the neck first. It's all feel, man.

Oh, and my Fret King Elise has the most perfectly shaped neck I've ever played. Fantastic guitar.

SkydogDuane

Reaction score
Fantastic neck. Great pickups. No name (it's a partscaster).
View attachment 532959
Its still a Strat no matter who put it together. I couldn't imagine calling a Mustang a partstang or a modified corvette a partsvettes or a modofied F150 a parts150.

Fender owners are the only people that, willingly downgrade their stuff and I don't understand why. It's still a Strat. No matter how many parts you replace and no matter who assembled it. X

If I assembled a Corvette with my own engine, transmission, interior, body panels, wheels, tires, etc...its still a Corvette. Same goes for Strats and Teles and any other model Fender makes.

revtime

Reaction score
I have sold off the high end guitars i owned. I still have 12 guitars but the Carvin is the only one worth more than a grand. I have a very high end Warmoth strat custom build that just the body and neck were 1200 bux. If it had Fender on the headstock it would be 5k custom shop territory. Alas it is a partscaster and worth f*** all.
I have absolutely wonderful guitars and most of them are 500 or less.
I build what i want now for the most part.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole concept of Skrats were to be partscasters... Easy/cheap to build/repair....
Same with Teles. Leo was brilliant.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
The only Strat I can even play is my garage sale partscaster. Great neck and pups and it is near mint. When I thought I needed a Tele I tried out a bunch and preferred — and bought — a Michael Kelly. And my go-to guitar is a PRS SE Orianthi. I have more expensive guitars, but these are just better for me.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a richwood artist re-125 two years ago to see how I went with playing it. What I remember was how well it seemed to be put together compared to my memories of cheap guitars in the late ‘70’s. Neck was straight, frets level, no buzz anywhere, tune a matic bridge so intonation was on point. Not sure of body woods, a mahogany type grain to body, didn’t know enough about wood 2 years ago to work out if cap was solid or veneered. Sounded pretty good, but had no Gibson for reference, so cannot say how similar or not. Sold it when I decided to buy a Gibson, wish I hadn’t as they are rare as owt. This one was very similar to LP, had open book headstock for one. Not seen any of that model for sale since.

Latest Threads