All the cool guitar shapes taken? Seriously ....

Deathray

Reaction score
Cool-are they comfortable to play? They look a little awkward.
I’ve never held one. I think they are really cool, and unique. I would guess they are more of a standing up, rather than a sitting guitar. I saw a televised concert of Todd Rundgren’s Utopia, where they were playing them.

red_bull

Reaction score
I read somewhere that 50s guitars were taking a lot of inspiration from automobile shapes at the time. Have to admit that was a great era of design for many things.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
c
I read somewhere that 50s guitars were taking a lot of inspiration from automobile shapes at the time. Have to admit that was a great era of design for many things.
Correct the custom colors by Fender as well!

hbucker

Reaction score
I can’t imagine any new shape that wouldn’t be just a variation of a classic shape... even classic shapes mentioned in OP include some variations of each other

For me, I would say we just have 4 basic shapes:
- Double cut
- Single cut
- Explorer
- V
I agree with you, yet I would say that there are variations that still make shapes unique. For example: Both are single cuts, but I would never say a Tele looks like a Les Paul. I also wouldn't say that a Tele looks like it is just a modified LP.

How about an SG and a Strat? Both are double cuts.

For a good shape (not just a novelty) there needs to be comfort, proper weight, upper fret access, and good/decent balance on the strap. Without these components (the average weight of an LP excluded) a design has no chance of becoming a classic, or even desired by the masses. IMO

This all limits what one can design into a shape that hasn't already been done - since this code was cracked long ago. So we're left with what people may consider "modifying" old designs. But I can say without hesitation that the design I came up with for the guitars I've posted on this thread were not arrived at by modifying a Strat. Which I'm sure some people are probably assuming. The top horn was actually designed specifically for guitar balance on the strap as much as it was for esthetics.

Mine is also an unusually narrow design. Something that is almost never done for the mass market, and I'm not sure why. this is the most unique aspect of the design. I could go into some other design features of that body - all being esthetic - but it was arrived at after hundreds of thumbnails done (and tossed) on graph paper. The ultimate goal being something unique that has even a smidge of classic vibe without sacrificing practicality and feel.

Yet... At a glance folks might be inclined to think I just took a Strat and modified it... Just another modified Strat. Oh well.

To your point though. It does show the care that went into original designs and elements they were factoring into the designs. Most of which cannot be improved upon. Only modified.

Last edited:

hbucker

Reaction score
Don't forget the Ric 620 / 660 shape. Unique but still iconic - they're unlike anything else out there.

Not loving the red fretboard, but the body is a cool design.

Adding to my prior post... new designs are absolutely possible with all of the factors included in my description. The challenge is making something that doesn't look ridiculous in the process.

The above Ric is a good example of unique and good looking.

JohnnyPhatsaqs

Reaction score
( blurry cellphone pic )

View attachment 435737

I don't care what anyone says . this is the most comfortable guitar I've ever played . light and balanced . huge carve on the back . the contours get the knobs and switch out of the way . and it feels like part of me

this is the Sterling version , that I dropped $500 worth of minis into ( Fralins ) . in the near future , I'm getting the EBMM version in white , with roasted neck
Man, I gotta tell you, I am looking HARD at these. The EBMM version. The only reason I haven't ordered yet is deciding on the color. I'm stuck between the sunburst or that beautiful white one with the ebony fretboard. I can't decide. But I'm 99.8% sure the St. Vincent will be my next purchase.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Man, I gotta tell you, I am looking HARD at these. The EBMM version. The only reason I haven't ordered yet is deciding on the color. I'm stuck between the sunburst or that beautiful white one with the ebony fretboard. I can't decide. But I'm 99.8% sure the St. Vincent will be my next purchase.
pick one up / feel it , and the money will fall right out of your pocket

while the body shape looks very angular __ the contours are very comfortable . deep back carve , and a fully rounded edge on the top ( below the right arm ) . it's the first guitar that I've held where the body shape affects my playing style , because it so " out of the way " . without being like a Steinberger stick

I'm also fond of Telecasters . real workhorse guitars , and very simplistic yet versatile . but a Tele is chunky cutting board block of wood

my vote is for the white ( the mahogany used for the burst reminds me of 70s furniture ) . and make sure that it's the version with the 3 minis __ because there's also a double humbucker version . you want the minis

JohnnyPhatsaqs

Reaction score
So...I went and tried this thing out yesterday. And yes, it is a gorgeous, fantastically made instrument. BUUUUUUUUUT, that Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s in Tobacoo Burst was just too nice. I'm afraid that's the route I am going lol. Especially since they're right about the same price.

red_bull

Reaction score
The head stock is really important....it must balance out the rest of the guitar and go with it ....not too big, not too small. For example Gibson open headstock is perfect on many of their guitars. Epiphone on a Gibson LP for example is too narrow and too busy on top. Heritage is too small.

hbucker

Reaction score
The head stock is really important....it must balance out the rest of the guitar and go with it ....not too big, not too small. For example Gibson open headstock is perfect on many of their guitars. Epiphone on a Gibson LP for example is too narrow and too busy on top. Heritage is too small.
From a design standpoint, I take headstocks very seriously. I have a hard time buying a guitar with a headstock that doesn't work for me.

Margaret Rome

Reaction score
I have always appreciated the ibanez talman body style. it's probably the most comfy guitar I own.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
So...I went and tried this thing out yesterday. And yes, it is a gorgeous, fantastically made instrument. BUUUUUUUUUT, that Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s in Tobacoo Burst was just too nice. I'm afraid that's the route I am going lol. Especially since they're right about the same price.
boooo :laugh2:

but what about the straight string pull on the headstock ? the Earvana nut and locking tuners / the tall narrow frets on an ebony board / the roasted neck / the Dimarzio minis / the amazing two point trem ???

and the balance of that body . . .
are you you nuts ? get the white one

Latest Threads