All Mahogany vs Maple top

shal1234

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at buying a 2008 Vintage Mahogany LP. Of course i don't have the opportunity to play it first so i'd like to know what you guys think about these LPs. It doesn't have a maple top, so i'm wondering how that will effect the tone and which one you prefer. thanks!

kspeed

Reaction score
The maple cap's supposed to add more treble response. Before deciding on my LP, I compared several Studios it to the only Vintage Mahogany they had. Acoustically, the Studios were much brighter and louder than the Vintage, but plugged in the Vintage sounded almost totally identical. The difference, I think, was that the Vintage had Burstbucker Pro pickups which are brighter than the 490/498 combo in the Studio.

dcmey

Reaction score
I own a 2007 Vintage Mahogany and it is awesome. It's the best bang for your buck guitar out there. I wouldn't trade mine for any other LP bar none.

shal1234

Reaction score
I see, the pickups even it out it seems. So acoustically it probably sounds similar an SG? How did it play?

shal1234

Reaction score
ok right now it's a toss up between the Vintage Mahongany and the BFG, and possibly the Standard Faded. any thoughts?

dcmey

Reaction score
VMs play great. I new when I first started playing on it in the store that thats the one. An SG has a different sound than an LP.

dcmey

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with any of those 3. Good luck trying to find a faded standard. I don't think they are selling them any more, I could be wrong. Even a regular studio is a great guitar. Do you have any way to play on any of them in a store or know someone who has one?

shal1234

Reaction score
The fadeds are all over the place in stores and online. I have a few music stores here and they all have the same guitars: 1 LP classic, 1 studio, 1 faded standard, 1 goldtop classic or something (not my cup of tea), 1 BFG, and the Un-burst. I was partial to the faded and bfg because as good as the others sounded, they had the gloss on the back of the neck that made it unacceptably sticky. so i'm going for satin finish i guess.

drdialtone

Reaction score
I own a 2007 Vintage Mahogany and it is awesome. It's the best bang for your buck guitar out there. I wouldn't trade mine for any other LP bar none.

My sentiments exactly:applause:

Deftone

Reaction score
ok right now it's a toss up between the Vintage Mahongany and the BFG, and possibly the Standard Faded. any thoughts?

I like the standard faded myself, but I wouldn't mind getting a VM.....the price can't be beat.

GC in Roseville had a VM with a ding in it and they were asking like $500.....I'd have snagged it but the wife will cut my nuts off if I buy another guitar.

Scooter2112

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

If looks were an important factor to you, Standard Faded is the clear winner in my book. :thumb:

Kuroyama

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As an owner of a Vintage Mahogany... I can tell you that

1) Im highly satisfied with my purchase.
2) That rig NEVER fails to impress. Sitting still, or being played.

If you dont like sticky-shiny guitars... this guitar cant be more perfect for you!
While I respect the BFG I found that in person, its not finished as well as the VM, and I just cant see paying full price for it. If the BFG were half the price it goes for, Id want one. (But theyd have to stop making that NOTCH by the neck on the horn side...what IS that??)

The only thing Id suggest is trying to find a wood pattern that you like. Ive seen a couple with this straight wood grain that looks like wood siding from Sears. I gotta have some curve in my grain. It has to LOOK like it came from a tree, not some factory worker painting wood grain.

And as for the Pickups... those burstbuckers will not disappoint.

Lastly... the price. I dont understand why they are so much less than the other Les Pauls... but Im not complaining.

leewaun

Reaction score

Well I brought home a Vintage Mahogany on Saturday thinking I would be happy with it and would not wait to get the standard faded I had ordered.

Well today is Tuesday and right after work I rushed home and grabbed the Vintage Mahogany and took it back to the store I bought it from and got a full refund. It just doesn't do it for me. I missed the epiphone Les Paul I traded for the vintage mahogany. Anyways I put the money toward the standard faded I wanted then went home. The store closes at 6 and i got home at 6:15. When I logged on to my email I found a email from the guitar store stating my faded Standard has arrived so I will go see it tomorrow and pick it up Thursday when I can get it set up.

All in all the Vintage Mahogany's just don't do it for me. I will be getting the standard.

marc1kim

Reaction score
As with all guitars you need to try several untill you find the one that speaks to you. Both my VM, and my BFG kill the Faded Standard I used to own. The faded standard was a beauty, but a total dog tonewise. Of course it coulda been just that one Standard alone. I don't want to lable all Faded Standards as Dogs.

v8ko

Reaction score
As with all guitars you need to try several untill you find the one that speaks to you. Both my VM, and my BFG kill the Faded Standard I used to own. The faded standard was a beauty, but a total dog tonewise. Of course it coulda been just that one Standard alone. I don't want to lable all Faded Standards as Dogs.

No probably not, didnt care for mine either...BUT it could be Im used to the older LPs. Ive had three new Lps and sold them all. Luckily I made 600 bucks off the faded sale.

Ive played the VM and they sound and play really good. Whats been said here over and over is true they are the best bang for the buck.

Someone said they wouldnt trade there vm for any other LP...well theyre not that good lol. but they are a good entry level LP.

SiameseDreamer

Reaction score
my BFG is probably the sweetest guitar I have ever held, touched or played.... ever, bar none :)

3th3r

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at buying a 2008 Vintage Mahogany LP. Of course i don't have the opportunity to play it first so i'd like to know what you guys think about these LPs. It doesn't have a maple top, so i'm wondering how that will effect the tone and which one you prefer. thanks!

kspeed alluded to the fact that the Burstbuckers go well with the VM...

It's true.

I swapped out the Busrtbuckers for some boutique PAFs, and the highs are gone; all I hear is dull. I even replaced the 300k volume pots for 500k, but this didn't make much difference. The Burstbuckers will be going back in; I think they go perfectly with the all-Mahogany body.

Androo

Reaction score

I'd go for the Standard. I love how the Standard looks plus I also HATE black plastics. Standards have the same humbs as the VM but with much better looks.

opalburn

Reaction score
i'm gonna have to agree with the VM.... i love mine, and it sounds great... but the fadeds are pretty sweet too.... and the BFG's just don't do it for me for some reason...

Latest Threads