All mahogany faded LP Studio vs Maple top faded LP Studio

yankeefool265

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to this forum and am currently researching for my first electric guitar. I was wondering if you could explain to me the differences between the all mahogany LP faded studio and newer model with the maple top. I would probably be able to find the all mahogany version used for less money than a new maple top one would cost, and I am trying to figure out if it is worth the extra cash. Are there significant differences in the sound, is one more durable than the other, etc. Thanks.

Standard

Reaction score
all mahogany is going to give you a smoother and more mellow sound, where as maple capped will be slightly brighter with a sharper attack and will be closer to the signature sound of a standard or other maple capped Les Paul variant. i actually prefer the sound of the all mahogany but that's just my opinion. also if this is your first electric look into epiphone and agile they are lower cost options that are typically very good quality and a good place to start

also i recommend the search feature, this is a well discussed topic

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my 2010 NOS mahogany/mahogany Studio faded, and paid $50 less than the usual current street price (as seen most places you search).

I have not A/B's mine with a maple cap job, but probably would expect minimal difference in tone. I imagine that up to a point amp controls could level the playing field unless someone really had to have that last "nth" of treble, or whatever, that only the maple would give (probably in frequencies only dogs -and my audiophile oldest brother- could detect).

Iceman0124

Reaction score
Through a nice amp thats not way oversaturated with gain and tons of effects you will hear a difference, the maple cap will often (remember all guitars sound different) give a pronounced snap upon a hard attack, the all mahogany will be more even and give arounder sound even with an agressive playing style....which one is the best fit sonically depends on your equipment and how and what you play. I reccomend both if possible. I have a VM studio I had refinished and new pups/electronics and I love it. I also have a Studio 50's GT with maple cap and P-90's, added a bigsby B7 and I love it too...They are both les pauls but VERY different animals

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

Your best bet is to go around trying out as many as you can with eqipment like or as like as possible to your own and decided from there. IMO if your playing through a tiny cheap SS amp...forget a high dollar guitar right now and upgrade the amp, then the guitar....A cheap guitar can sound great through a nice amp, while a super nice and expensive guitar can sound like crap through a crappy amp.

Latest Threads