All Hog Customs...

jeggz

Reaction score
I’ve a 2002 all mahogany Custom, it is DARK sounding, the darkest sounding Les Paul I’ve ever owned.

Now 2002 is long before aluminum tailpieces and steel studs were on Historics, ya think it’s worth putting em on?

Socrates

Reaction score
Is it a heavy beast?..my hog 57 LPC is bright sounding

jeggz

Reaction score
It’s probably 10lbs or better.

Its dark unplugged
Its dark with stock pickups
Its dark with new pickups

Its dark.

I bet the studs and tail swap might be what she needs.

I mean, I like her, gig her all the time, but she’s dark.

Dazza

Reaction score
My 1 piece mahogany Custom '97 LPB-3 with Bigsby at around 9 1/2 lbs is the brightest LP I've owned. I bought it with non stock pickups and it was a challenge to fit pickups that best suited it and my tastes.

Daz

jeggz

Reaction score
I’m looking up pickups now.

ARandall

Reaction score
You'll get some minor changes with hardware material. Enough to take the edge off (or maintain) something if the balance is fractionally wrong.
But if you're not getting anywhere with pickup changes.....well if a pickup has the possibility of a 50% change then by comparison hardware material might be 1%er.
My 56 Goldtop clone had a bit too much bite, especially in the bridge slot. I went to a Zamak Tailpiece which just took it out of the (overly) harsh category. But pickup adjustment is still much more important to how it has improved.
Also pots are important here....specifically volume pots. 1M might be worth a look all round, as well as specific wind pickups for upper mid to treble cut.

goldenugly57

Reaction score
From my experience I would not expect too much by hardware changes. My first historic, an r7 from 2006, has the same problem and I could not make her much brighter by any hardware change I tried - and I tried a lot: different pickups, wiring harness, bridge, tailpiece, studs, abr posts, thumbwheels... the biggest improvement was a change to a set of Custombuckers, but it's still too dark for me and I don't play the guitar anymore.
My conclusion from this odyssey: the primary tone is in the woods that are used for each individual guitar and if you don't like this primary tone, then don't waste time and money on different hardware but try to get a guitar with a primary tone to your liking - that's what I did in the end. Hardware can make subtle changes to the primary tone, but it will probably never change the primary character of a specific guitar... but as mentioned above, this is only my personal experience and opinion and I may be wrong.

MCT

Reaction score
From my experience I would not expect too much by hardware changes. My first historic, an r7 from 2006, has the same problem and I could not make her much brighter by any hardware change I tried - and I tried a lot: different pickups, wiring harness, bridge, tailpiece, studs, abr posts, thumbwheels... the biggest improvement was a change to a set of Custombuckers, but it's still too dark for me and I don't play the guitar anymore.
My conclusion from this odyssey: the primary tone is in the woods that are used for each individual guitar and if you don't like this primary tone, then don't waste time and money on different hardware but try to get a guitar with a primary tone to your liking - that's what I did in the end. Hardware can make subtle changes to the primary tone, but it will probably never change the primary character of a specific guitar... but as mentioned above, this is only my personal experience and opinion and I may be wrong.
This. Agree 100%. Tweaks can change the emphasis, but can’t emphasize what’s not there. At least, not in my experience.

Darkness- it’s a pretty common hog thing.

jeggz

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to change from DARK to BRIGHT, I’m just looking for a lil nudge in that direction.

I’m thinking cheap and easy fixes.

Tail and Studs or maybe a Dimarzio D Activator bridge pickup.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Played a Custom some years back that had no bite. None. Pickup rolling from hell with no joy...

I’ll knock on a guitar...all over body and neck.... It was dead. Inconsistent wood in my book, as inconsistent as it could get. Not saying yours is deadwood, just example of one typical Custom that shouldn’t have sounded even in the same universe as how it sounded...

All-hog guitars I’ve played have been some spanky bright ass guitars....

modavis99

Reaction score
Check the volume pots. If they are 250K or 350K, switch to 500K. If they are 500K, switch to 550K. This is an easy mod and absolutely will brighten up the guitar.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I put some Sigil pickups into an all hog MIJ custom. The pickups were definitely bright and were a good combo in that guitar.

jeggz

Reaction score
Just remembered I’ve a set of 50’s gold studs laying around.

Its “free” , so I’ll try that first.

jeggz

Reaction score
It’s subtle, but it’s there...

BigJim

Reaction score
My old all 'hog LP is a bit dark, still fiddling with pickup heights to see if I can brighten it up a bit.

I usually think "hogwash" when people start attributing huge tonal changes to minor construction or materials differences (like fingerboard woods, or short tenons), but this will be the second all 'hog Les Paul that I have owned that was a bit darker than the maple topped models I have.

jeggz

Reaction score
Oddly enough, the tailpiece that was on it was already aluminum, I must’ve changed it and forgot.

Going from the brass studs to steel definitely helped out.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Oddly enough, the tailpiece that was on it was already aluminum, I must’ve changed it and forgot.

Going from the brass studs to steel definitely helped out.
I’ve heard a Callaham steel ABR-1 can help brighten things up...

Latest Threads