all explorer's thread ^^

veeman

Reaction score
Latest pic of my 76 Explorer, changed a couple things.
2-9-121.jpg

Rawhdney

Reaction score
It's still in some distant far off future, but dang, I want an Explorer...
Played one for the first time recently and really dug it. The neck felt great and the body balanced surprisingly well.

So what are the differences, if any, between the '76 reissues and the current production model I played at Guiter Center?

Thanks!

I probably shouldn't have even opened this thread....must resist.....don't need another guitar..........

Reaction score
I gave my Peavey Vortex to some friends when it was time to get this one. This is Edgar, the Big E (Evil). 2005 Ebony Explorer with an abalone pickguard. I'll still put the white one back on occasionally depending on my mood. Not sure which I like better. I love the Explorer. Great feeling, sweet neck, and unbelievable sustain. Them's some pretty nasty pickups too.

DSCF2337.jpg

Actually, now that I look at it, I need a lot better pics of The Big E!

Dougie

Reaction score
Here is my 2006 '76 Explorer reissue, in natural mahogany finish. This was bought with the original intention of adding a vibrola ala Allen Collins style, but when I got it oh man damn it was SO sweet, it played SO GOOD, I couldn't see screwing the planned vibrola on it, because there is a considerable bit of string angle behind the nut and that could cause some tuning problems that there might not really be a good way around, so I got a Firebird and tricked it out instead:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-gibsons/77150-firebird-freaks-6.html#post3573878

Meanwhile I did opt to change out the pickups and most of the hardware for a more traditional vintage tone and slightly aged look. This one now has a Seth Lover in the neck and a Lindy Fralin rewound old Gibson patent decal pickup with a long alnico4 magnet, they are under some nice old naturally worn gold PAF covers from a '61 SG/Les Paul, and some M-69 mounting rings from the same year. Faber master kit (locking tune-o-matic with brass saddles like the old ABR-1 had, and a locking aluminum stop bar) in their aged gold finish. Pots are some of the CTS 500k TVT true vintage taper variety, very cool I might add, how in the world did we ever settle for less for so long? Topped off with TonePros Kluson tuners, this guitar is just a freekin' JOY to play! It is so well balanced and just lays right in your hands, it's also a tone monster from hell.. Will I ever stick a vibrola on it? Maybe someday when I get or make a vibramate plate to mount it on I might try it and see if it will stay in tune.

DSC00881.jpg

DSC00880.jpg

DSC00878.jpg

DSC00883.jpg

peghead1.jpg

DSC00869.jpg

Mat_P

Reaction score
Time for a little update on my 2006 Explorer.
First on is in original conditions, second and third shot show some recent mods. Black pickguard, Burstbucker 2 and 3, Faber STP and ABR1 for Nashville posts, calibrated 500k CTS pots and Luxe PIO. Sorry for the crappy shots, just had a stoneage digicam at hand today.

xplr_01.jpg

xplr_09.JPG

xplr_08.JPG

steve_huck

Reaction score
Looks great. I was really trying to get rid of my explorer, but this thread is really making me want to keep it. Maybe I can just give it a makeover. Any ideas guys? I love the gold on the light natural finished ones like above, but mine is darker and I dont think it would look as good.

I want to put a pup cover on the neck pup to calm it down a little, and a new tone cap, maybe a knob change, gold hardware?

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Looks great. I was really trying to get rid of my explorer, but this thread is really making me want to keep it. Maybe I can just give it a makeover. Any ideas guys? I love the gold on the light natural finished ones like above, but mine is darker and I dont think it would look as good.

I want to put a pup cover on the neck pup to calm it down a little, and a new tone cap, maybe a knob change, gold hardware?

Gold hardware, pickup covers and gold top hat reflector cap knobs will looks sweet on that guitar. I wish my explorer had gold hardware. I love the way they look when they begin to show their age a bit.

steve_huck

Reaction score
Gold hardware, pickup covers and gold top hat reflector cap knobs will looks sweet on that guitar. I wish my explorer had gold hardware. I love the way they look when they begin to show their age a bit.

I am going to keep and and do a facelift. I think I am making the right choice. This was my first gibby, It should stay, its a great player. Just because I am not playing it alot now doesn't mean I wont some other time down the road.

Now I have to brainstorm what I am going to do it!!!

Dougie

Reaction score
That would be a very good decision. Selling your first Gibson is pretty much guaranteed to cause you many regretful sleepless nights in the near future.

Especially if it's a real good one....

Mine was a fantastic player, felt great, but there was an even better Explorer that was brought out by using PAF style pickups and Faber stuff.

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Reaction score
Not Gibson, but here's my Hamer Standard Korina limited edition #67/100 made. I did mod it with a matte black pickguard and cream WCR Godwood/Darkburst pickups.

003.jpg

Guitardad47

Reaction score
1976GibsonExplorero2.jpg

Here is a picture of my 1976 Explorer. It is all original except the tuners and the bridge pickup cover. She plays like butter and sounds as smooth!

SonicBlur

Reaction score
Here's my Explorer...it's an ESP/LTD and I am torn between my Les Paul Classic Custom or this Explorer as to which one I should be buried with...LOL! I love this guitar, and since the EMG 81/85 it's on another world.

LTDExplorer.jpg

Latest Threads