Align pickup ring on Les Paul Standard

Lucascas

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently got a 2005 standard but has the neck pickup ring misaligned with the neck. Neck is straight as an arrow, so I guess that the issue comes from the plastic ring.

Now comes the noob question: Is there any way to fix that without having to drill new holes? The guitar sounds great, I love it but this little space there is one of those that once you see it you can't unsee it and I dont know if I like the idea of having more holes in the body.

Thank you for reading and I appreciate your help and wisdom regarding this matter!

IMG-5633.jpg

Lucascas

Reaction score
agreed. No way to fix that properly without plugging and drilling new holes.
And you guys think it is worthy or not? I had strats in the past but is my first LP and I dont know If I should try to fix that being only a visual issue.

moreles

Reaction score
I think I could easily fix most of those slight misalignments by fiddling with the holes in the plastics (with my Dremel or even a round file) not by redrilling the guitar.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Plug and redrill. Personally I use brass threaded inserts in the body for the pickup rings, and they're placed with precision on my milling machine. I use 2-56 stainless screws to screw the rings in.

It annoys me that Gibson can't take a second to pre-drill the screw holes while the body is on the CNC machine, so the screws are placed correctly every time.

Hogie34

Reaction score
And you guys think it is worthy or not? I had strats in the past but is my first LP and I dont know If I should try to fix that being only a visual issue.
No, I do not think it’s worth it. I would do what Moreles said and just open up the screw holes on the ring itself. Loosen the pick guard bracket, make your adjustment to the ring, then make your adjustment to the pick guard . Tighten everything down and done. That’s the quick fix .

cmjohnson

Reaction score
To drill or not to drill is your judgement call. Does the alignment issue bother you enough that you'll plug and redrill? Only you can answer that.

Lucascas

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your answers guys! I will probably buy another pickup ring and try to open up the screws holes so I can compensate a bit the misalignment.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Considering that the bottoms of the molded holes in the pickup rings are angled for countersunk screws, I don't think you're going to have an easy time making that idea work.

Personally if it were mine I'd just let it be.

thelegendnedk

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently got a 2005 standard but has the neck pickup ring misaligned with the neck. Neck is straight as an arrow, so I guess that the issue comes from the plastic ring.

Now comes the noob question: Is there any way to fix that without having to drill new holes? The guitar sounds great, I love it but this little space there is one of those that once you see it you can't unsee it and I dont know if I like the idea of having more holes in the body.

Thank you for reading and I appreciate your help and wisdom regarding this matter!

View attachment 489587
Loosen all 4 p-up screws and gently tap the 6th string side down with dowl or wood block to see if any movement to straighten and maintain an even gap with the neck / re-align and tighten screws ! hope this helps RK

D'tar

Reaction score
Ever play with dominoes? Once you fix the neck pickup ring you will have to address the scratch guard. Once you adjust the scratch guard you will need to adjust the bridge pickup ring.... Domino effect!!!

Fit and finish or is it unfit and unfinished?

keys88

Reaction score
That would bother my OCD for a little while, but eventually you'll stop noticing it. And anyone more than a foot away won't see it. But like others have said, the new holes would be too close to the existing holes. If you tried to drill you would just end up boring out the existing holes and then it wouldn't hold the pickup ring at all. You would need to plug the existing holes and then redrill. And like D'tar said you'd have a domino effect because then you'd have to plug and redrill new holes for the pickguard. And then THAT might alter the alignment with the ring on the bridge pickup. You'd cover the gap at the neck, but then you'd have a gap at the bridge. It's probably not worth the effort.

slewfoot

Reaction score
Pick card just remove and sand down edge where pup movement would hit may have to just mess with pup and push up

L3rxst

Reaction score
Leave the pick guard unaltered and where it is. Loosen all four ring screws and nudge the bass side back until the gap is consistent across the back of the neck. Stick a bit of wood in the gap on the bass side asa temporary spacer and tighten up. Remove the spacer.
Not worth plugging and red rolling or adjusting the pick guard. That would bother me too but only for a while if I loved the guitar anyway.

Latest Threads