Alex Van Halen is WAY underrated.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something to be said about chemistry among brothers.. without Eddie and Alex, we probably wouldn’t have had Dime and Vinnie.
Dime really did explore.
I remember the early days when KNAC was still on the air, and Pantera was doing neo-classical Yngwie-like stuff.
They fell off of my radar in the 90s, and when I got XM and they came on as thrash, I was like :eek2:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Eddie and Dave were the band. Everyone else just took up space and could have been replaced with anyone else.

IMHO, obv.

Reactions: ehb

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Eddie and Dave were the band. Everyone else just took up space and could have been replaced with anyone else.

IMHO, obv.
Well opinions are like toe nails, everybody has one and they....
no it wasn't toe nails. Was it elbows? Molars? Ear Hair? I can't remember what everyone has, but they has something.
Now, where was I?

Bluesky

Reaction score
I'm a drummer before a guitar player......trust me.......Alex is SO underrated. "So this is love"? Has The ultimate snare tone. No matter how many times I change my kit I will always have a Ludwig snare front and center. I hope he gets out some and plays with other people. Zack Wlyde would Love to play with him.

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think my point was made when people jumped in and started naming a bunch of other guys who were better. Of course nobody is going to argue that Neal Peart isn’t the pinnacle of rock and roll drumming.

I just meant that when people talk about the all time greats Alex never gets mentioned, and I think that’s a shame because to my ears his technique and versatility are right up there with the top of the top.

dc007

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just meant that when people talk about the all time greats Alex never gets mentioned, and I think that’s a shame because to my ears his technique and versatility are right up there with the top of the top.
Good musicians who are team players can get it done.

Bluesky

Reaction score
PERFECT example........The intro to Panama.

Everyone will credit Eddie and those killer chord chops......but its NOTHING without Alex driving the shit out of it ......but hes almost invisible behind Eddie.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
AVH is good but he's not in the Neil Peart realm. AVH was the right drummer or VH for sure

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well opinions are like toe nails, everybody has one and they....
no it wasn't toe nails. Was it elbows? Molars? Ear Hair? I can't remember what everyone has, but they has something.
Now, where was I?
A story. Everyone has a story.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
PERFECT example........The intro to Panama.

Everyone will credit Eddie and those killer chord chops......but its NOTHING without Alex driving the shit out of it ......but hes almost invisible behind Eddie.
Al also had a plodding style that didn’t drag and had a swing thing going in the Dave era. At least that’s the best way I can explain how he sounded to me and I liked it.

He still had in in the Sammy era but seems to have added more technique.

Some Sammy era Al.

Last edited:

Bluesky

Reaction score
He still had in in the Sammy era but seems to have added more technique.
What a great tune. Maybe in my Top 3 VH off all time.

Here was Alex in his prime IMO :

Eddie with his yellow MM.....APEX VanHalen IMO songwriting and tone...road tested.....these guys were complete animals at this point. A bkistering rock n Roll machine.

Heres one of my fave early Alex moments that gave me fits when I was 14 in 1980 to play:

At 1:50 you can hear how Eddie and Alex were born to play together , I've never heard a lead player play off a drummer so well to this day.

Bluesky

Reaction score
Here is my favorite all time snare tone. Everytime I tune up my snare this is what I'm shooting for:

Listen to the intro close........between 05-11 secs you can hear the snare ping change . Alex said in an interview that the internal drum muffler fell off in the first few seconds and he just went with it. Sounded Iconic after playback so they left it. Just killer. Best VH albulm by far IMO.

Bluesky

Reaction score
Heres a great take on Alex in my Panama example.......Eddie is so good ....you forget whos driving the tune:

The intro is killer.......The fact that he compliments Eddie so much and doesn't overplay is also a credit to his musicianship.

fry

Reaction score
I've never heard a lead player play off a drummer so well to this day.
I agree, you can feel this connection between them. I always thought Alex was an awesome drummer. Big, driving sound, just what the band needed. I think they are so locked in on this song from 1984, particularly at the :40 mark.

Bluesky

Reaction score
I agree, you can feel this connection between them. I always thought Alex was an awesome drummer. Big, driving sound, just what the band needed. I think they are so locked in on this song from 1984, particularly at the :40 mark.
Yeah........you get it.:cheers2:

Latest Threads