Alabama in Tulsa last night

marksoundguitars

Chief Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
I was a huge fan in the 80s. Saw them in about '85 in Norman, tremendous show. They were at the top of their game. It was just the four boys, playing their hits, giving all they had.

Fast forward 30-some years, and decided to go to Tulsa to see them again. Another great show, but some differences.

The merch manager guy came out to warm up the crowd. He told stories about the guys and threw out a bunch of CDs. Then came the band.

Randy Owen still owns the stage. His voice is still right on, and lots of banter and stories. There were two keyboard players, two extra guitar player, and one guy that played fiddle and mandolin and did the harmony guitar parts. One of the key guys and the lead guitar player sang harmony with Randy.

Teddy Gentry was absent, due to medical issues that prevented him from being there. He hand picked a stand-in on bass.

Jeff Cook was there, onstage until the end of the encore with his snot green Parker Fly. Poor guy has Parkinson's and can hardly play any more, but he sang Working Man Blues and hit every note.

At one point, Jana Jae (you remember her from Hee-Haw, right?) came out with the President of the Fiddlers Hall of Fame and presented Jeff with his induction. He made a great speech, thanking the guys in the band for putting up with him while he was learning to play. :lol:

They played for over two hours, a big portion of their 42 #1 singles.

At the encore, out came a bunch of giant beach ball thingies for the crowd to knock around, and Randy tossed out a bunch of hats to the first few rows.

It was just as big a party as the first time 30 years ago. Great show. If you haven't seen them, I'd recommend making the effort while you have the chance. :)

GBhfdta.jpg

Last edited:

Frogfur

Reaction score
I was a huge fan in the 80s. Saw them in about '85 in Norman, tremendous show. They were at the top of their game. It was just the four boys, playing their hits, giving all they had.

Fast forward 30-some years, and decided to go to Tulsa to see them again. Another great show, but some differences.

The merch manager guy came out to warm up the crowd. He told stories about the guys and threw out a bunch of CDs. Then came the band.

Randy Owen still owns the stage. His voice is still right on, and lots of banter and stories. There were two keyboard players, two extra guitar player, and one guy that played fiddle and mandolin and did the harmony guitar parts. One of the key guys and the lead guitar player sang harmony with Randy.

Teddy Gentry was absent, due to medical issues that prevented him from being there. He hand picked a stand-in on bass.

Jeff Cook was there, onstage until the end of the encore with his snot green Parker Fly. Poor guy has Parkinson's and can hardly play any more, but he sang Working Man Blues and hit every note.

At one point, Jana Jae (you remember her from Hee-Haw, right?) came out with the President of the Fiddlers Hall of Fame and presented Jeff with his induction. He made a great speech, thanking the guys in the band for putting up with him while he was learning to play. :lol:

They played for over two hours, a big portion of their 42 #1 singles.

At the encore, out came a bunch of giant beach ball thingies for the crowd to knock around, and Randy tossed out a bunch of hats to the first few rows.

It was just as big a party as the first time 30 years ago. Great show. If you haven't seen them, I'd recommend making the effort while you have the chance. :)

GBhfdta.jpg

I have some of their music on vynl. I like them myself.

scott1970

Reaction score
I have family who would run into them regularly around Ft. Payne, Alabama at the height of their popularity. The were always described as down to earth regular guys.

marksoundguitars

Chief Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
In Jeff's speech he said, "As fiddle players go, I always thought I was a pretty good guitar player."

I've never heard anyone else say anything like that before, and it cracked me up because I've said for years, "As guitar players go, I'm a pretty good singer." ;)

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
They played at the fair back in the 80’s. Don’t know if it was the same tour, but “She and I” was the big hit around that time. I was just a kid. My dad got me a 3/4 sleev concert T and it was my favorite shirt until I outgrew it.