Al Romano Mad at Gibson (Ace Frehley Burst)

theanchorman211

Reaction score
To anyone who has played both the signed/aged & VOS models of this Ace 59 Burst - are the necks size & feel similar across both versions (& I realize the aged will obviously feel more worn in)?

kingmidas3

Reaction score
glad you're enjoying it and playing it. players and people like you are really what some of these runs are really out to capture. I had signed/aged #5 of the Perry burst, and Perry was the one who got me to pick up a guitar, but I ended up selling that one and moving onto other things. Biggest thing with me was I just don't like tobacco bursts that much but they did for sure capture the essence and vibe of the original. I really lucked out on that one as it had a very very close top grain to the real deal.
Agreed! The INSTANT I saw the ad for the Frehley it was like Pavlog's Dog - I was on a mission to get one. I think I saw your Perry #5 for sale once at Dave's Guitars.

kingmidas3

Reaction score
Bingo. Nobody seems quite to focus on that as hard as they should.
Agreed. Despite the fact that the scan issue didn't have any relevance in my purchase, it doesn't minimize Al's perspective on how the deal went down - or rather didn't go down. If I were in his shoes, I'd be vocally upset had the same thing happened to me. I've been in situations where I contributed significantly in the development of a successful product yet to be cast aside from a compensation agreement once the rubber hit the road. Al is a monster player (check out his You Tube videos demonstrating Leslie West's tome - he's paid his dues in becoming a top flight musician) and it's his right to tell his side of the story. And also to ask whatever he wants for the original - it is advertised at $2.75M presently on a high end luxury goods website. Tone, playability and feel are subjective - what's important is what inspires you to play and enjoy guitars.[/QUOTE]

BBD

Reaction score
Al is a monster player [...] and it's his right to tell his side of the story.
I'm not in any way affiliated with Gibson so have no bias in this discussion, but Al (IMO) needs to moderate his language. He can tell his side of the story without veering into what are, on the face of it, libelous statements.

kingmidas3

Reaction score
I'm not in any way affiliated with Gibson so have no bias in this discussion, but Al (IMO) needs to moderate his language. He can tell his side of the story without veering into what are, on the face of it, libelous statements.
Understood. Tact is the art of getting one's point across without making an enemy. I've not always used it in my life either.

dyrhee

Reaction score
To anyone who has played both the signed/aged & VOS models of this Ace 59 Burst - are the necks size & feel similar across both versions (& I realize the aged will obviously feel more worn in)?
JimmyAce owns both, or at least owned both at one time, he's someone that could answer this question.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
JimmyAce owns both, or at least owned both at one time, he's someone that could answer this question.
Used to own both! LOL I sold the glossy one. Same neck on both. Normal variations from one to the next based on final sanding.

Andy California

Reaction score
And also to ask whatever he wants for the original - it is advertised at $2.75M presently on a high end luxury goods website. Tone, playability and feel are subjective - what's important is what inspires you to play and enjoy guitars.
He can ask for whatever money he wants for his guitar. If I were him, I'd just go full 10 million just because sky is the limit. But if he ever wants to actually sell it for money as opposed to bragging about owning the best burst of them all, he'll have to face cold harsh reality and find that its real value is nowhere close to that.

Deus Vult

Reaction score
Most valuable burst?

Lol

Jimmy page called.

He says fuck off :laugh2:

By Al's himself:

Ace Frehley Burst. You may notice that Ace sounds thicker than the Riot burst. Back in 1986 when Vic Dapra had every 59 Les Paul imaginable, I asked him which one was his best sounding burst? Vic replied to me the Ace Frehley burst.

I feel bad for anyone who purchased the remake of this Ace burst guitar because Gibson has told my attorney that they did not use the scans of my Ace burst when they made the remakes and in fact it was based upon Ace's memory of the guitar and photographs.
To make a long story short anybody who purchased the remake of the Ace Frehley 59 Les Paul was robbed by Gibson.

I really think Gibson has set them self up for a class action lawsuit. Considering that Gibson lied to the public in adverts in every way regarding that Ace 59 guitar which is not a duplicate of my guitar!

Gibson's attorney said its based upon Ace's memory. Ace has not seen this guitar in 30 years! He relinquished ownership of it in 1986 when he was unable to pay We Buy Guitars the extra 4 thousand dollars that was owed to get the guitar back.
The guitar was 6000 dollars in 1986! Ace couldn't get it together.

I offered Ace the guitar for 75k in 1991 and he said he was broke. Ace didn't have the cash. Now Ace is very bitter because the guitar is the most valuable Les Paul in existence. Currently valued at 2 million or more. I think its priceless. Its the best guitar on earth and Ive played them all.

I had to hire attorneys to sue Gibson. They paid me a small amount than breached the settlement and never gave me the 4 guitars and cash which I was supposed to get in a signed contact I signed. I don't even own a copy of Ace's guitar. They refused to send me the guitars they swore they would give me in my contract. Henry is a serious criminal of the highest order. He destroyed Gibson.

Its been a legal nightmare which is still ongoing. Ace ended up making over 300k or more on the deal after it was all said and done. He was given 7 guitars all of which he sold of for over 25k each. Ace refused to give me one penny. Yet Ace gave Matt Swanson money on the Budakon Les paul deal when Swanson let Gibson use his Budakon guitar to duplicate.

Again. I feel awful for anyone who was robbed by Gibson. They totally played the public.
I will be posting the letter from Gibson's attorney which states that they did not use the scans of the actual Frehley Burst guitar when making the 300 remakes which were seriously overpriced.

For anyone who purchased the Ace guitars. Please contact me and I will put you in contact with my attorney about details regarding a possible class action lawsuit.
Moral to the story. Hire a lawyer from day one and do not trust Henry at Gibson or VP Rick Gambar, Kevin Van Hammel and those other criminal people at Gibson who were involved in this Ace Frehley 59 burst guitar sham. 15k for an Ace guitar that was not even based upon the original scans? That is not cool and its criminal. It was supposed to be based upon the actual scans and Gibson said it was not.

So sad the way Henry does biz and he wonders why the Gibson custom shop went out of business?

In time i will tell the whole story of what Gibson did. Flying me out to Nashville saying they had contracts ready. Than I get there and there was no contract. They blamed it on Ace and said don't worry we will give you 4 guitars and cash same as Matt Swanson got on his Ace Budakon deal.

It was like a bait and switch shell game. Stupid me trusted Gibson and found out the hard way but in the end truth prevails. The Gibson custom shop that made those fake Ace guitars went out of business, so God is good in the long run. Justice was served..

zamdrang

Reaction score
Interesting story... but saying: "....Gibson. They totally played the public." as if its some kind of news??

Its a profiit driven corporation like any other, their entire business model is based on hype, that's what they do. No surprise here.

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting story... but saying: "....Gibson. They totally played the public." as if its some kind of news??

Its a profiit driven corporation like any other, their entire business model is based on hype, that's what they do. No surprise here.

And conversely, had they shunted more money Al's way he'd be all quiet too.

It appears that he's whining because he made an agreement and then at some point decided that the agreement no longer suited him, and was unable to unilaterally change it.

I have no direct knowledge of the deal, but logically that seems to be the only story. Guy makes deal, changes his mind, throws toys out of the pram, dad still says no.

RAG7890

Reaction score
..........pretty cheesy ending to an agreement. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

:cheers2:

indeedido

Reaction score
Used to own both! LOL I sold the glossy one. Same neck on both. Normal variations from one to the next based on final sanding.

Where the pickups the same? I would assume they are but you know how that goes.