Airline Question?

Spirithawk

Reaction score
I took my 17 yr old grandaughter to the airport today. She is flying from here in Branson to Newport News, Virginia. First time ever on a plane or away from home. She was suppose to switch flights in Atlanta, Georgia. All fine and well but here's the bite in the arse! Her plane got to Atlanta and her and the other 14 passengers going on to Newport News walk to their gate just in time to see their connecting flight backing out to taxi for take off without them! The airline told the pilot it was ok to take off 10 minutes early without the 15 passengers that they obviously knew had just arived and were walking up to the gate! They gave my grandaughter, and the other 14 passengers, $10 meal vouchers and scheduled them for another flight 5 hours later! If that aint some first class bull! Anyone ever heard of a plane taking off early without all it's passengers? Passengers there with time enough to still board? Don't know how much good it will do but I'm registering a complaint with the airline and chewing someone's ass!

ext1jdh

Reaction score
cool_story_bro_2.jpg

Howard2k

Reaction score
It happens.

Think of it this way, there were probably people on the second leg of your daughters flight who needed to catch connecting flights at Virginia too. Should they all miss their connections because your daughters plane was late?

Spirithawk

Reaction score
That's my point. Her plane was on time. They still had time to board. The plane was okayed to take off early. If they needed more time they should better schedule their flights.

V Man

Reaction score
Happens in Atlanta all the time its a cluster fvck there.

Howard2k

Reaction score
That's my point. Her plane was on time. They still had time to board. The plane was okayed to take off early. If they needed more time they should better schedule their flights.

Planes do not leave early. If her flight arrived on time then it sounds like the booking agent buggered it up by not leaving enough time?

It sounds fishy, what happened to her bags, they are still with her right?

Basically a 10 minute window is not enough - there is no incentive for a flight to leave 10 minutes early because they are supposed to pull off the bags of the connecting passengers. That takes more than 10 minutes. And boarding takes more than 10 minutes if baggage needs to be checked. I am skeptical. Not calling you a liar, you own a gun :) I am just saying that I think there might be other details that I am not privy too.

Spirithawk

Reaction score
Planes do not leave early. If her flight arrived on time then it sounds like the booking agent buggered it up by not leaving enough time?

Heck guy, that's what I thought too, but the airline admited it was cleared to leave early with no explanation why!

teame1

Reaction score
which airline?
Atlanta is huge if I remember right. Maybe they figured they wouldn't make the switch in time.
If they admitted leaving early, sue their smug asses.

Spirithawk

Reaction score
which airline?
Atlanta is huge if I remember right. Maybe they figured they wouldn't make the switch in time.

TransAir! One thing that burns me is that the airline assured us the flight was on time and there would be no problem with the conecting flight.

Sirzach

Reaction score
which airline?

Because suing is always the answer. :rolleyes:

Unless you lose your job over being late, you shouldn't sue. Bring it up, but they are a big airline. They'll have good lawyers to prove them right. No point unless something big happened. Its just a waste of your money to sue a company that big if nothing substantial happened.

I feel for your daughter man. "Missing" Flights sucks. That happened to my family over in lisbon. We had a layover of 30 minutes at first, but we were 20 minutes delayed in Madeira (Island off coast), and we had to instead get a layover of 5 hours (Like your daughter.)

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but was her inbound flight to Atlanta late?

Either way, as someone already mentioned, even if she would have gotten onboard her connecting flight in Atlanta, she would have arrived in Newport News without her checked bag(s) (assuming she had one).

I used to work in the airline industry for 11 years. I don't miss it at all. Most are very poorly managed and more so now than ever, they could care less about the passengers and the inconveniences they put them through.

Spirithawk

Reaction score
No intention to sue but that doesn't mean I can't let them know it's a load of crap and the last time anyone in my family will fly their airline! :) According to the airline her flight was on time.

River side

Reaction score
There are flight-tracking websites you can go to that list both the scheduled and actual departure times... even for flights that are already completed.

Might not be a bad idea to grab some screen shots.

Spirithawk

Reaction score
There are flight-tracking websites you can go to that list both the scheduled and actual departure times... even for flights that are already completed.

Might not be a bad idea to grab some screen shots.

Thanks. :)

Fracture

Reaction score
AA was kind enough to lose my luggage, a single bag, on a return from Cancun.
I spent 10 minutes looking for my bag. I had a connection in 25 minutes.
Two away from the scanner, confident that my bag would get to O'hare.
I get pulled out of line by TSA, who insists on putting me through a metal detector.
Artificial hip and I draw the pat down. I wait 18 minutes for someone qualified to do
the pat down. On the tram (was at DFW) miss my connection by 1:30 seconds.
The agent smiled and said sorry, that was the last flight out.
So, I let her lock everything up nice and tidy. Standing at the gate counter, chin in hand.
She grabs her purse, and I inquired
"Just where in the **** do you think you are going?"
"Home" she replied. "My shift is over"
I told her I was only going to say this once and once only.
"You have 15 minutes to get me on the first plane to ORD in the am, a hotel and transportation to and from and a food voucher."
She thought I was bluffing. Trying to contain the fury within, she got it all done
in about 13 minutes.
I got 2 hours of sleep, at a Marriott, a 6 am out. And had to pay a cab $25 to get me to my car.
Thanks American.

Sinster

Reaction score
This is what I would have done. Demanded an earlier flight on another airline. I would have demanded a lot because it was the airlines fault not no matter how you cut it. It wasn't an act of nature that made your grandaughter miss her flight. Then I would inform them that you will be reporting this to the FAA/DOT, not much these agency will or can do but a lot of those gate people don't know the CFR's and other DOT/FAA regs. Now if your grandaughter wasn't at the gate 15 minute prior then she is pretty much on her own. They will make numerous announcements. But in the end they have the right to.

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can only speak from my own experiences but yes it does happen, especially in busy hub airports like Atlanta and Chicago.
Even though the flight time says 7pm for example, they actually leave the gate earlier than that to get to the runway.
How it was explained to me was..there is a window time, hence why they say you need to be there x amount of time beforehand to board.
My planes have left early from gate especially if plane is full or because they do not want to wait and get fined for leaving late for late passengers, especially if plane is 90% filled.
Bumping the flight for the rest of the passengers wouldn't lose them much money compared to the fine.

$10 bucks for 5 hrs delay is really bad though. I've always had much more than that and sometimes they offer a bump up to 1st class for free if available.

Never flown Transair though, airlines do tend to do their own thing.

I would make a complaint however, often airlines will give a voucher for a future flight out of courtesy.

V Man

Reaction score
Atlanta is so big you can have to take the subway just to make connections between Delta flights. Nightmare city for flying

Tozatron

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've heard of that happening in ATL. Newport News, huh? I have friends who go to college there. Christopher Newport University. Gorgeous campus.

Latest Threads