Ahoy, new to the hobby (but old to everything else) of pedal building

Ratmick

Reaction score
...just started to re-tinker with my original 'trade' that I took up as a hobby as a 12yo back in 1976. This was followed by 6.5 years in the Australian Army between 1982-1989 where I spent my days repairing radio equipment and anything else that came my way.

I left the Army in early 1989, and had a brief foray into private industry large-scale electronics manufacturing at Ericsson in Broadmeadows making the old analogue base station transceivers for the original pre-GSM mobile phone network. I hated it and left the world of Electronics forever in April 1989 and have been in IT ever since.

In my early days in IT we used to make our own cables, but those days have long gone. I'll still will solder around the house whenever given the opportunity and I still have stuff lying around that I made in the mid-80s (I build things to last, and they do :)). I have made quite a few guitar cables...

Anyway half-way through making a clone Dark Arbiter Fuzz Face kit, it's extremely simple (amazing how simple some of these old school circuits are really). I'm finding the whole process quite therapeutic, probably as it's an echo of a simpler time. The circuit boards aren't ideal and you need to crowd the components in...but then you have to fit it into a small enclosure with a battery, pots and a foot switch :cool:. I'm finding I'm still a bit [email protected] with the component layout, old habits being hard to break.

FFACE_zpsf8fe76e3.jpg

I'm having trouble reading some of the component values under fluorescent lights without a magnifying glass though, that is something I didn't have trouble with half a lifetime ago. My daughter can read them without one, so it's old age (as if I needed a reminder).

I have a BYOC Large Beaver (EHX Big Muff Pi clone) on order, they're not that cheap but it'll keep me occupied.

Batman

Reaction score
Pedal building is a sickness! :Dr

Welcome back! Join a few fellow builders in the Pedal Builders thread; there is a tonne of excellent information locked in the heads of a few of the members that participate in that thread. (I'm not one of them, my heads empty)

RambleFX

Reaction score
Congrats. Looks like you have already figured out rule number one - neatness counts.

Tweaker

Reaction score
Very cool backstory!

I don't mind the component layout so much as getting my wiring clean. I've greatly improved, but geez, I just can't be satisfied with my wiring, no matter how clean I get it.

As mentioned, say hi in the pedal builders anonymous thread! We'd love to fuel your addiction :D (You may not be addicted now, just give it time...)

Brocko

Reaction score
yeah pop on over to the pedal builders anonymous thread. Awesome to see your build and hope to see it all boxed up and working!

Ratmick

Reaction score
Hey I've actually got one of those magnifying desk lights somewhere in my shed!

Now need to set myself up a semi-permanent workstation...my eldest moved out a few months back with his fiancé and my exceptionally cute (and oh so spoilt) granddaughter and I have a free bedroom. It's a bit small but it's mine...currently full of guitars and my amps.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone :thumb:

Latest Threads