Aging preference

jcsk8

Reaction score
I like the look of reliced guitars, but when are real. I wouldn't buy a brand new guitar that looks 40. Only if was a really good deal.

Sharky

Reaction score
if the Makeover finish fades and checks all by itself during the use of the guitar, I want it all new but no shiny hardware, please. I hate it, I really do. I had to disasamble my Sandy the other day to artificially age tailpiece and bridge since Gibson's aging on this on is coating those with an easy on/easy off dulling powder or whatever that may be. It's totally shiny underneath. Wiped it off and exposed them to vinegar fumes which resulted in a slight ageing, just the right amount for me

KenG

Reaction score
D
Op you should've set this up as a survey/poll. Then you'd have a running count of the results.

goodvibes

Reaction score
'D' ... this should have been a poll.

You are correct. It started out as a poll but I got lazy when they wanted me to re-enter all the options after selecting the poll option....next time I'll do it right. thanks everyone!

cmcgov

Reaction score
You are correct. It started out as a poll but I got lazy when they wanted me to re-enter all the options after selecting the poll option....next time I'll do it right. thanks everyone!
Get a mod to update the thread for you. (It was 4 options...)

rsrd

Reaction score
No aging is my preference but I can appreciate some peoples love for the relic

tdarian

Reaction score
D, but with a better feel than stock Gibson.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
D, I actually enjoy seeing the new dings that get picked up while I'm playing. I don't think I've been playing long enough to notice any proper finish wear on the guitars I currently use but thats part of the adventure isn't it?

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
D, but with a better feel than stock Gibson.

Rolling off the edges of the fingerboards makes a huge difference in feel and any one could do it, its not a complicated task, rather easy, but easy to messed up too... but that will count as a form of aging as it simulates the feel of a well used neck.:cool:

tdarian

Reaction score
Rolling off the edges of the fingerboards makes a huge difference in feel and any one could do it, its not a complicated task, rather easy, but easy to messed up too... but that will count as a form of aging as it simulates the feel of a well used neck.:cool:

Or, customization, to simulate the feel of a well formed new neck.

jamman

Reaction score
D . Agree that light Aging of the Hardware only, should have been an option .
There's no "Mojo" in Fake Aging , That's just a pipe dream . Thinking somethings there , that's not there , doesn't make it really there . :wow:

goodvibes

Reaction score
Well, thanks everyone for your input. It appears the overwhelming majority prefer option D. Most say they like to let them age naturally by playing them. The remaining options (A thru C) got virtually the same number of votes each.

boyscout

GAS study patient member
Reaction score
Wow! I had a feeling that there was a larger relic crowd here than what this thread is revealing. "D" for me as well

I too am surprised, and feeling chumpy since I recently paid extra for an aged Sandy, my first fake-aged guitar.

I did it on a flyer based in part on the enthusiasm here for aging, and did it even knowing that Gibson is now aging in the Custom Shop rather than using the vaunted Tom Murphy.

I was surprised to find that while all the obvious applied aging (checking, gouging, metal wear, etc.) was done, it was done on a body that was otherwise brand-new mirror-shiny... no nice mellowed VOS patina on the body. Looked weird and faked, but it's mellowing now after a few months of handling.

As a player it absolutely does not disappoint. FWIW, of the two aged and one VOS Sandys that I tried (same store, side-by-side) before choosing mine the VOS was the least attractive in the tone department. Coincidence? Maybe.

Latest Threads